Dress Code on the Emerald

rs12065

We were on Caribbean Princess last week and a passenger was asked to leave the MDR because he was inappropriately dressed in shorts, Well done Princess:D:D.

Must be different MDR staff now. Wore shorts on numerous evenings back in 2014 on the Caribbean Princess and was never questioned, turned away or asked to leave. Mind you, these were nice, knee length shorts and I wore I nice button down short sleeved shirt and nicer sandals (not flip flops). To me, I was appropriately dressed for smart casual - and the MDR staff clearly agreed. I mean, we were on a cruise in the Caribbean!! The a/c was never strong enough on that cruise. Pants were just too hot!

We also chose not to pack formal clothing. On formal nights, we booked The Crown Grill. Smart casual is still acceptable there on formal nights.

Edited by thunderbaycruiser

I'm on the Emerald right now. There seem to be about 90% Brits on this cruise and they really went all out on the first formal night. A HUGE majority of the men were in tuxes or dinner jackets (with a few kilts thrown in for good measure.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've seen t-shirts.:(

One man on one of our cruises wore jeans (not fancy ones), a t-shirt, and suspenders every night.

I've been wearing T shirts for at least 10 years on casual evenings.

What's wrong with them? They're neat & clean and look as presentable as any other shirt.

Must be different MDR staff now. Wore shorts on numerous evenings back in 2014 on the Caribbean Princess and was never questioned, turned away or asked to leave. Mind you, these were nice, knee length shorts and I wore I nice button down short sleeved shirt and nicer sandals (not flip flops). To me, I was appropriately dressed for smart casual - and the MDR staff clearly agreed. I mean, we were on a cruise in the Caribbean!! The a/c was never strong enough on that cruise. Pants were just too hot!

We also chose not to pack formal clothing. On formal nights, we booked The Crown Grill. Smart casual is still acceptable there on formal nights.

I've found that the people from the UK are definitely more proper. They would never think of dressing down for any affair.

We stick to the requested attire. Smart Casual in the evenings. I wear a dark suit for formal nights unless we eat somewhere other than MDR. In that case we stick with Smart Casual. I would never consider entering MDR in shorts for dinner.

Of course I also believe that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. Hats in restaurants really peeve me. People don't seem to be raised with any manners these days. It's sad.

I'm hitting the like button on this one.

Tony

I've been wearing T shirts for at least 10 years on casual evenings.

What's wrong with them? They're neat & clean and look as presentable as any other shirt.

I've found that the people from the UK are definitely more proper. They would never think of dressing down for any affair.

Of course, we have standards to live up to;););):D:D

I've seen t-shirts.:(

One man on one of our cruises wore jeans (not fancy ones), a t-shirt, and suspenders every night.

Jeans such as Levis are allowed on casual night as are suspenders. We in the southwest wear jeans all the time. This is what I wear on casual night.

We stick to the requested attire. Smart Casual in the evenings. I wear a dark suit for formal nights unless we eat somewhere other than MDR. In that case we stick with Smart Casual. I would never consider entering MDR in shorts for dinner.

Of course I also believe that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. Hats in restaurants really peeve me. People don't seem to be raised with any manners these days. It's sad.

where's the "like" button, when you need one!! :) :)

I have just recently returned from a wonderful cruise to the Baltic on Emerald.

The lack of discipline on the dress code was disgusting. Shorts,tee shirts,polo shirts on formal nights. When I Questioned it the Maitre D' said they couldn't enforce it. Then why bother having formal night, it makes a mockery of all there advertising re formal night. I think the time has arrived for Princess to Abandon this and just do "smart casual" all the time. It works on other cruise lines.

I have just returned from a brilliant cruise to the Baltic on Emerald. I was disgusted by the total lack of enforcement of the dress code. Shorts,tee shirts,polo shirts etc being allowed into thE MDR. On complaining about it the staff attitude was " well so what,nothing we can do about it ". It states quite clearly on the brochure what must and must not be worn on formal nights. If they don't like formal there are other eateries they can go to or go on a cruise line that doesn't do formal. I think it is time Princess abandoned formal.

The lack of discipline on the dress code was disgusting. Shorts,tee shirts,polo shirts on formal nights. When I Questioned it the Maitre D' said they couldn't enforce it. Then why bother having formal night, it makes a mockery of all there advertising re formal night. I think the time has arrived for Princess to Abandon this and just do "smart casual" all the time. It works on other cruise lines.

Dressed in shorts and tee shirts on formal nights :eek: I hate even saying what I think of them. Besides they wouldn't care anyway. The fault belongs to Princess for not enforceing there own rules. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.

Tony

Just interested. Who was your Maitre D'? In May when we were on there it was Mario Propato.

While the dress code enforcement does vary slightly from ship to ship I have never encountered shorts on a formal night on any Princess ship although there have been a few times where they let them slide by on casual evenings.

If there are a few people who get that offended by the lack of formal clothing, especially on Princess, they should probably be looking for a more formal cruise line like Cunard where formal dress is more common.