Coral or Star to Alaska

justjan2

I am trying to decide which of these ships to take next July for our Alaska cruise. Are there big differences between the ships? Any reason to avoid one or the other? When researching the Coral, I see many posts about the Island re-fit (not good) and that the same re-fit might be applied to the Coral. Should I just go with Star?

This makes me worry so much every time I see people saying I'd go w/ the Coral any day - I'm glad yall like the ship, but now, I'm so worried about going on the Star next May, I'm going on the Star b/c it works out better for my time frame - Can someone say why they wouldn't go on the Star? I'm not writing this to sound mean, I'm just so worried :eek:

This makes me worry so much every time I see people saying I'd go w/ the Coral any day - I'm glad yall like the ship, but now, I'm so worried about going on the Star next May, I'm going on the Star b/c it works out better for my time frame - Can someone say why they wouldn't go on the Star? I'm not writing this to sound mean, I'm just so worried :eek:

Don't be worried. We were on both the Coral and Star last month. Loved both. Liked some things better on one over the other, but it was split about equally.

If the timeframe, itinerary works out for you, then stick with the Star.

I've been on both ships, and had a great cruise on them. I actually prefer the Star over the Coral. I thought Anytime Dining worked better on the Star, and I like Skywalkers Lounge, which the Coral doesn't have. They're both wonderful ships, and I would gladly sail either one again. But if I had to choose, I'd pick the Star.

I wasn't saying anything against the Star; haven't sailed on her but would consider for most itineraries. But Coral is uniquely suited for Alaska and the (old) Panama Canal. For Alaska because she has so many viewing areas (fore and aft public balconies plus promenade deck); for the Panama Canal because she is a Panamax design which means just narrow enough to (barely) fit in the old locks, which makes the operation breathtaking. On Star you will probably have to chose your glacier viewing spot early on and stay there, where on Coral you can move about at will and always find an open spot -- that's the big difference for this cruise.

Have sailed on the Star many times. I would not hesitate to take her again but at this time if the Coral is a choice then the Coral is our #1 choice. :)

I sailed on the Star last month and absolutely loved it. I have not been on the Coral to compare, but can say without a doubt you will still have a fantastic time on the Star! Zero issues, and amazing staff.

I sailed on Coral last year in early June-second time on her after the Panama Canal. Wonderful ship still.

My sister and her husband were on the Star this June-they could not wait to get off the ship-it was dirty,smelly-so bad they could not stay in their cabin on at least one day. I would not book the Star based on what she told me. She sent in a major complaint to Princess after her cruise and sent them photos of how bad the cabin,balcony,doors etc looked.

I sailed on Coral last year in early June-second time on her after the Panama Canal. Wonderful ship still.

My sister and her husband were on the Star this June-they could not wait to get off the ship-it was dirty,smelly-so bad they could not stay in their cabin on at least one day. I would not book the Star based on what she told me. She sent in a major complaint to Princess after her cruise and sent them photos of how bad the cabin,balcony,doors etc looked.

We just got off the Star and had a fantastic cruise. Our cabin was kept spotless, common areas were always clean, service staff were efficient, friendly and responsive. Even though there are more passengers we never felt crowded, lots of areas for everyone to spread out. The naturalist on board was wonderful. Everyone has his/her unique experiences but I would not hesitate to sail again on the Star.

We just got off the Star and had a fantastic cruise. Our cabin was kept spotless, common areas were always clean, service staff were efficient, friendly and responsive. Even though there are more passengers we never felt crowded, lots of areas for everyone to spread out. The naturalist on board was wonderful. Everyone has his/her unique experiences but I would not hesitate to sail again on the Star.

Thank you, that makes me feel better, what type of cabin did you have? Did you enjoy the entertainment? Did the ship feel dirty to you?

Thank you, that makes me feel better, what type of cabin did you have? Did you enjoy the entertainment? Did the ship feel dirty to you?

We were in an aft mini suit on the Emerald deck. We actually did not spend as much time on our balcony as we thought we would but I was happy we had it. We went to three of the production shows and enjoyed them-you just have to remember that this isn't Broadway:) We did go to as many of the "North to Alaska" presentations as we could fit in around our excursions. The naturalist on board was wonderful-we learned so much from her. We were more into the scenery than we were the entertainment so we did not go to the comedy shows etc so I can't comment on them. There was rust on the outside decks in areas and our tile in our bathroom could have been re-grouted but I did not see any dirty areas or smell any bad smells. The staff was always cleaning, polishing etc and I think that the ship was in good shape. Enjoy your cruise-Alaska is beautiful!

I am looking forward to our sailing on the Star to Alaska next May. Picked for 1. Dates 2. Skywalkers 3. Covered pool 4. International Cafe. We have never been on the Star or Coral (or Island), but will be on the Island in a couple of months. Looking forward to spending my actual birthday in Glacier Bay...see #1.

Alaska is two months after we get off the Regal. Find it hard not to compare ships to the Regal, what a beauty.

We were in an aft mini suit on the Emerald deck. We actually did not spend as much time on our balcony as we thought we would but I was happy we had it. We went to three of the production shows and enjoyed them-you just have to remember that this isn't Broadway:) We did go to as many of the "North to Alaska" presentations as we could fit in around our excursions. The naturalist on board was wonderful-we learned so much from her. We were more into the scenery than we were the entertainment so we did not go to the comedy shows etc so I can't comment on them. There was rust on the outside decks in areas and our tile in our bathroom could have been re-grouted but I did not see any dirty areas or smell any bad smells. The staff was always cleaning, polishing etc and I think that the ship was in good shape. Enjoy your cruise-Alaska is beautiful!

We are port side in a minisuite on the Emerald deck as well (did you like the cabin?)- for the viewing, I'm looking on the deck plans (ok, I can get lost in a mall) looks like the promanade deck 7 is just below, is that a good spot for viewing??? My sister is somewhat handicapped and don't know if she can walk up the stairs to the upper deck forward, so what is a good deck to view from if this is the case? Thanks in advance :)

We are port side in a minisuite on the Emerald deck as well (did you like the cabin?)- for the viewing, I'm looking on the deck plans (ok, I can get lost in a mall) looks like the promanade deck 7 is just below, is that a good spot for viewing??? My sister is somewhat handicapped and don't know if she can walk up the stairs to the upper deck forward, so what is a good deck to view from if this is the case? Thanks in advance :)

I had the last mini suite on the side on Emerald deck (E731 on Sapphire) to Alaska for 2 weeks and loved it!

I think Deck 7 promenade is going to be so much better than Deck 14 where everyone is fighting for a place. A friend is a national photographer and he always suggests low positions for photos.

Edited by Coral

I had the last mini suite on the side on Emerald deck (E731 on Sapphire) to Alaska for 2 weeks and loved it!

I think Deck 7 promenade is going to be so much better than Deck 14 where everyone is fighting for a place. A friend is a national photographer and he always suggests low positions for photos.

good, thank you!