Chef's Table vs. Ultimate Balcony Dining

Cabernetlover

My boyfriend and I have done the Chef's Table on two cruises now and loved the experience both times. I'm thinking about doing the Ultimate Balcony Dining instead on our upcoming Mexican Riviera Cruise in November. Would like to hear people's opinions of which is better and why.....

My boyfriend and I have done the Chef's Table on two cruises now and loved the experience both times. I'm thinking about doing the Ultimate Balcony Dining instead on our upcoming Mexican Riviera Cruise in November. Would like to hear people's opinions of which is better and why.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382814

Both are great. Chefs table is a long dinner apps in the kitchen, pictures, you get a cook book , aprox. 10 other people and a great time. If your looking for a quite dinner with just the 2 of you I would chose UBD. Food has always been excellent at both.

We haven't done the Chef's Table yet, but have done UBD and feel that it is an absolute must-do on every cruise. The service is spectacular (DW just barely mentioned that we'd chosen that night over the following night because it was crab legs night in the MDR "tonight" but lobster "tomorrow" - "Oh, you want crab legs?" <cue the Roadrunner/Wily E. Coyote music> [POOF, the junior waiter was back with a dozen crab legs]), the dessert is unique to UBD and not found anywhere else on the ship, and it's fantastic if paired with a great sailaway.

My new project is to pre-plan the necessary lighting so we can recreate the picture they're using to promote UBD as seen here: http://www.princess.com/images/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/speciality-dining/ultimate_balcony_dining.jpg

I've done the Chef's Table three times. Each time was great--wonderful food, engaging staff and passengers, lots of wine. But now we prefer the solitude of the UBD. It seems like a better way for us to celebrate special occasions. We've done it three times now--twice for anniversaries and once for DH's birthday. The only mistake we made was once doing it the last night of a cruise. I know now to book it for earlier in the cruise even if it means celebrating an occasion not an the actual date.

We have done the Chef's Table 3 times and loved the food, wine and experience. Sailing Island in August and have paid for the UBD to celebrate DH bday (he does not know). Can't wait. Love trying new things and not all cruise lines offer this dining experience, so going for it!

We've done both, and I actually preferred the UBD. The Chef's table was wonderful but way, way, WAY too much food! The UBD was so much more personal, food and service were fabulous, and we didn't feel over full afterward. We would do it again in a heartbeat, the Chef's table - once was enough.

Cathy

One of the reasons for traveling is to learn from new experiences. You've experienced the Chef's Table. So, why wouldn't you want to experience the UBD? I really don't think you should depend on my preferences to take the opportunity to learn from a new experience.

On the other hand, you can, really, do both, if you'd like to. :)

From your handle I'm also going to suggest you take along a nice Mike Smith CS, also. If you do try the UBD, it will be a great accompaniment with the Filet Mignon. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to thank you all for your responses. One of the things that makes the forum so interesting and valuable is that so many people are willing to share, and there can be quite a variety of answers to the same question. That said, I've been convinced to try the UBD on our next cruise!

Just want to thank you all for your responses. One of the things that makes the forum so interesting and valuable is that so many people are willing to share, and there can be quite a variety of answers to the same question. That said, I've been convinced to try the UBD on our next cruise!

Excellent choice!