Travel Industry rates & OBC

Av8tor

Haven't sailed with Princess in 10 months (gawd, I'm in withdrawal) and ran into a problem booking our next cruise. We often cruise using short notice travel industry rates and have always been able to use FCCs as a deposit/partial payment and get the associated FCC OBC, as well as Military OBC and Shareholder OBC. Today, my travel agent said that Princess told her that if I book using an "industry" rate, I would not get those OBCs.

Is this a change within the last year or was the Princess rep mistaken?

Thanks

Edited by Av8tor

Haven't sailed in 10 months (gawd, I'm in withdrawal) and ran into a problem booking our next cruise. We often cruise using short notice travel industry rates and have always been able to use FCCs as a deposit/partial payment and get the associated FCC OBC, as well as Military OBC and Shareholder OBC. Today, my travel agent said that Princess told her that if I book using an "industry" rate, I would not get those OBCs.

Is this a change within the last year or was the Princess rep mistaken?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I noticed that on the website, but I've never used an insider rate so didn't pay a lot of attention, but was looking at some OBC info, I'll try and find it again.

We sailed Regal TA in April sing Perx and Princess would not give, military etc credits. Turns out with all the credits would have been a wash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Basically for the military and shareholder benefits this fine print applies:

Employees, travel agents cruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced rate or complimentary basis are excluded.

If your fare meets the above definitions then you can't apply the OBC's.

FCD OBC can be used for almost any publicly offered fare or promo. If your fare is not publicly offered then it can not be used.

I read the meaning of reduced rate as a rate offered by Princess to a special class of passenger. I do not read it to mean a rate reduced by a T.A. to any public class of passengers by charging less and taking a smaller commission from Princess, or basically giving you some of their commission. You may wish to question this further.

Now I'm confused, we always book thru a TA and get discounted rates or grou rates. Have always gotten the FCC, Military and any other OBC from Princess and/or travel agency:confused:

Those are public rates and are therefore combinable. The OP must have used a TA rate which is not public and is therefore not combinable.

Thanks for all the replies! We have taken over 20 Princess cruises using both publically available rates and "private" travel industry rates and have NEVER had a problem getting the FCC, Military, Shareholder and Loyalty OBCs applied. Maybe we were just lucky in the past...

Anyway, cruise is rebooked at standard rates and with all the OBCs, we still save a bit a money.

Thanks for all the replies! We have taken over 20 Princess cruises using both publically available rates and "private" travel industry rates and have NEVER had a problem getting the FCC, Military, Shareholder and Loyalty OBCs applied. Maybe we were just lucky in the past...

Anyway, cruise is rebooked at standard rates and with all the OBCs, we still save a bit a money.

Good for you!! :) Now you can spend all the OBC on the ship and make Princess happy.

Tony

We have found that when we book a rate which requires us to cruise as a "blue card" instead of our level, then we get no obc. In fact we need to pay in full when booking. However, these great rates are more than worth it.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Do you mean that if you are elite but book a cruise at the travel industry or interliner rate that you use your elite status for that cruise? I have never heard of that on either Princess or HAL. I understand why you would pay in full when booking as those rates are generally not available more than 90 days out from the cruise.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Do you mean that if you are elite but book a cruise at the travel industry or interliner rate that you use your elite status for that cruise? I have never heard of that on either Princess or HAL. I understand why you would pay in full when booking as those rates are generally not available more than 90 days out from the cruise.

If you book a interline rate you still get your loyalty benefits and build up points to

If you book a interline rate you still get your loyalty benefits and build up points to

But what does he mean by having to use your "blue card"? That would indicate that you would have no loyalty benefits as first time cruisers get a blue card.

But what does he mean by having to use your "blue card"? That would indicate that you would have no loyalty benefits as first time cruisers get a blue card.

No idea, I think he needs change interline agent

Thats not what they said at all. :eek:

You cruise with a blue card. Not entitled to the usual benefits that you have attained.

You cruise with a blue card. Not entitled to the usual benefits that you have attained.

Well, I book with Princess at interliner rates and I cruise with a black card. I know I am not eligible for the veteran's benefit, but I do enjoy the free laundry.

Sorry for the confusion. When I book with a Princess corporate affiliate rate, (usually 3 - 9 months out), we are issued a blue card (no benefits) when boarding. We get no on-board credit or benefits. We do accrue cruise credits at the normal rate. I am guessing this may be similar to how travel agent's book, but I could certainly be wrong. All I know is my login and password and where to put the credit card info!

Sorry for the confusion. When I book with a Princess corporate affiliate rate, (usually 3 - 9 months out), we are issued a blue card (no benefits) when boarding. We get no on-board credit or benefits. We do accrue cruise credits at the normal rate. I am guessing this may be similar to how travel agent's book, but I could certainly be wrong. All I know is my login and password and where to put the credit card info![/QUOT

That's not interline though

Sorry for the confusion. When I book with a Princess corporate affiliate rate, (usually 3 - 9 months out), we are issued a blue card (no benefits) when boarding. We get no on-board credit or benefits. We do accrue cruise credits at the normal rate. I am guessing this may be similar to how travel agent's book, but I could certainly be wrong. All I know is my login and password and where to put the credit card info!

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there was that restriction on the corporate affiliate rate. I believe Holland America calls it "Friends and Family Rate". The main restriction on interline rates is that they are mostly offered at less than three months from sailing on rooms that would otherwise not be sold. You can only book a guarantee cabin, but will usually be upgraded in that category (like cheapest inside to a better inside). You can't get credit for your Carnival stock or your military service. But your loyalty benefits are unchanged.

All is well that ends well! Booked the cruise and saved the coin, NOICE!!!

Have a great time, cure that withdrawal you mentioned! :D

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there was that restriction on the corporate affiliate rate. I believe Holland America calls it "Friends and Family Rate". The main restriction on interline rates is that they are mostly offered at less than three months from sailing on rooms that would otherwise not be sold. You can only book a guarantee cabin, but will usually be upgraded in that category (like cheapest inside to a better inside). You can't get credit for your Carnival stock or your military service. But your loyalty benefits are unchanged.

Thank you for mentioning the F&F rate. I was curious if that is what Robinsoncruiseso had, but was reluctant to bring it up for fear of people jumping all over me for just mentioning it. :o There are some travel industry retirees on CC who frequently chastise folks who bring up F&F/interline rates, like it is some secret, unmentionable thing. Obviously it is inappropriate to specifically state the rate paid, but afterall, the rates ARE there for designated people (friends and family) to use when available.

Edited by RJ2002