Rain

gp1oseg

Currently on the grand alaska cruise we had rain every day there. Leaving Victoria now with great weather. Hope it's good for the next group cruising

Alaska is like Colorado, wait 10 minutes and the weather will change.

Hope the rest of your cruise is excellent. :)

Currently on the grand alaska cruise we had rain every day there. Leaving Victoria now with great weather. Hope it's good for the next group cruising

We cruised Alaska about 4yrs ago and when we were in Ketchikan we hit a very rare day......It did not rain:eek:.....We also went King Salmon fishing we caught nothing they said it was too nice of a day:confused:. In fact this trip was so nice that it actually was HOTT.

Our first cruise was SF/Alaska - 10 days. Everywhere we went people said things like "we haven't seen the sun in two weeks so you must have brought it with you!". We had great weather everywhere we went.

We just returned from a 6 day land tour in Alaska followed by a 7 day southbound. We had beautiful weather everywhere we went and even Denali cooperated and came out in all it's glory for us. (There were people in our group who were visiting for the 5th time and this was the first time they had ever seen the mountain.)

Alaska seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. I am a terrible gambler but, as far as weather in Alaska goes, we were big winners both times. I'm sure this won't be our last trip to Alaska so we'll see what happens next time. We plan to drive the Alaska Highway next year (maybe take a couple of months and just mosey along) so we will likely get a mix of weather on that trip.

Hopefully the rain didn't sour you on cruising to Alaska. Give it another shot another time.

A shower or so is one thing. Endless totally rainy days is another.

While we would not allow it to ruin our cruise, have to admit we would much rather have sunny days. :)

Edited by OCruisers

We were on the Grand the cruise prior to this current one. The weather was spectacular, not one drop of rain fell on us while we were in Alaska! Our fishing captain in Ketchikan said we had one of the nicest weather days he'd had all season, and the six of us caught 27 Pink Salmon to boot! We have family friends that are on the current cruise and their weather has been the complete opposite!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ketchikan gets 200+ inches of rain each year. It has rained both times we visited there on a cruise. BTW Ketchikan is where the notorious bridge to nowhere was going to be built if you remember that event. We are 50-50 on Juneau in that it rained once and was nice once.

I have been to AK three times by air and once by ship. I have seen Denali several times (used to be called Mt McKinley) and once it was in the clouds and not visible. I have seen it as far away as Fairbanks one time. On one trip to AK via air we landed in Anchorage at ~8 PM on a July night and the temp was 90F+ and it stayed over 90F the entire week before returning to more normal temps. It was hot and most there do not have a/c since it is not needed. Luckily we came from the US southwest and the heat was not anything new to us.