Grand Princess Mexican Cruise Re: Matzalan Stone Island Beach Break shore excursion.

Kingofcool1947

We are booked on the Grand for a 10 Mexico cruise embarking 25 September roundtrip San Francisco

Have any of you taken the Matzalan Stone Island Beach Break shore excursion and if lounge chairs are included in the cost of the excursion, or if lounge chairs are extra cost once we arrive at the beach? Is it a nice beach for family and kids? Couldn't find any reviews for this shore excursion on CC.

Also, the excursion includes lunch at Puesta del Sol restaurant. Is the restaurant on the beach, and is it ala carte menu or buffet style? The reason I ask is I am lactose intolerant and can't have dairy products like cheese or sour cream.

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Kingofcool1947 we are on the same cruise I was looking at the same Stone Island Beach Breaks excursion. Have same ?. Did get some info from the roll for Grand 10/5/ 16. Somone posted some info about Stone Island and being able to take Water Taxi there and back. You might want to take a look at that post. I also looked online Travel Advisor about Stone Island. Your right it's hard to find much info on any tours or ports we are going to.

Kingofcool1947 we are on the same cruise I was looking at the same Stone Island Beach Breaks excursion. Have same ?. Did get some info from the roll for Grand 10/5/ 16. Somone posted some info about Stone Island and being able to take Water Taxi there and back. You might want to take a look at that post. I also looked online Travel Advisor about Stone Island. Your right it's hard to find much info on any tours or ports we are going to.

Took this crusie in 2015 on the Star Princess r/t San Francisco.

This time I've reserved the following shore excursions:

Puerto Vallarta: None. I just plan walk around town, the Malecon, have lunch at local beachside restaurant.

Manzanillo: Stone Island Beach Break.

Matzalan: Historic tour. Colima with lunch

Cabo San Lucas: Pirate ship snorkel excursion.

I'm still researching details of the Stone Island Beach Break re: if loungers are included or extra fee, and reviews of included lunch at Puesta del Sol restaurant (ala carte or buffet lunch?).

See y'all on board! :)

I've done the Stone Island beach break, and its a great way to spend the day. You do board a water taxi right at the port for a short ride across the harbor where you board a tractor pulled trailer that takes you up the coast line a couple of miles. You arrive at a palm tree forest where they have a beach front site that have lounge chairs, first come first serve, grab one with shade! Also a small grill that serves Mexican food and burgers, not included. They have horseback riding, and horse buggy rides on the beach. The beach is nice and kid safe. Check it out!

I've done the Stone Island beach break, and its a great way to spend the day. You do board a water taxi right at the port for a short ride across the harbor where you board a tractor pulled trailer that takes you up the coast line a couple of miles. You arrive at a palm tree forest where they have a beach front site that have lounge chairs, first come first serve, grab one with shade! Also a small grill that serves Mexican food and burgers, not included. They have horseback riding, and horse buggy rides on the beach. The beach is nice and kid safe. Check it out!

pro76. Thanks! I've reserved the Stone Island Beach Break excursion through Princess. It includes lunch at Puesta del Sol restaurant. Is this just a burger and beer shack or a full menu restaurant? Ala Carte or buffet? Do beach vendors accept US dollars or just Mexican pesos?

I have been to Stone Island many times and have not taken the tours. I walk (or take a pulmonia) about three blocks to the water taxi terminal and pay around three dollars US for a round trip to Stone Island. I go to Lety's restaurant (google it) to spend a few hours and use their loungers without a charge as long as I buy food or drinks. The water at Stone Island is shallow for a long ways out and seems to be very safe.

I usually like to take a pulmonia on a city tour and have them drop me off at the water taxi terminal. Prices are very good if you book the tour outside the cruise terminal gate.

Edited by swedish weave

pro76. Thanks! I've reserved the Stone Island Beach Break excursion through Princess. It includes lunch at Puesta del Sol restaurant. Is this just a burger and beer shack or a full menu restaurant? Ala Carte or buffet? Do beach vendors accept US dollars or just Mexican pesos?

Vendors in Mexcio love dollars and love to give change in pesos. The restaurant is just a small grill that served menu items like a carne asada plate that I thought I had to pay for. This was a long time ago, so things my have changed. It was very good and so was the ice cold cerveza's!

Stone Island, do it on your own...very easy. Leave ship turn left and walk to end where there are water taxi's. All the chairs are associated with a restaurant of some kind. Pick the place you like, and order something. You are set for the day. So easy.

We have done Stone Island on our own. It really is very easy to get there. I don't know about the restaurant included in the tour but the ones we saw were all specializing in giant shrimp cooked in garlic or with coconut. The water was very calm and it was a lovely place to spend the day lounging...delicious drinks, great food and very inexpensive.

Have done private excursion to Stone Island. Included transport to and from, 2 activities you choose from kayaking, horseback riding,banana boat, cart ride and one more. I loved it...but when I did the banana boat ride I managed to get water in my ear and got a major infection as the water is not the most pure. If you do go in the water take earplugs, first ear infection I ever got in over 60 years! I'm sure its not as bad as Rio...lol! Oh yea, included lunch and all you wanted to drink, beer etc

I have done the Stone Island Beach Break excursion. It is just ok ... nothing spectacular ... but an ok way to spend the day.

As another post mentioned ... they take you on a water taxi over to the shore and then transport you to the place where you will spend the day.

At first arrival, it appears the place is very run down but the beach is nice. The water is pretty from afar but it isn't clean so swim at your own risk.

The place for the group has a restaurant with tables and chairs and some old loungers and chairs, limited shade but a nice relaxing way to spend the day. The chairs would hold you up but nothing fancy ... who needs fancy when you have functional.

A waiter from the restaurant comes around and offers you chips and guacamole ... they are not free. I think the charge was like $6 or similar to that. It's good ... not worth the price, though.

They let you know when lunch is to be served and all patrons were served the same lunch ... it was Mexican food and not bad at all. But, there will be cheese atop the refried beans. I did not get sick afterwards so think everything was a-ok. No burgers were served ... the food on our excursion included chicken enchiladas, beans and rice with a small salad and salsa. I won't eat the salad over there. That's just me.

My advise would be only to drink bottled water, beer, sodas, etc. It really isn't the cleanest place ever. I was a little apprehensive at first but had an ok time. I have gotten deathly ill after a land based vacation to Mazatlan once and am super careful over there if I even get off the ship for this port... maybe an overabundance of caution.

I have been on cruises where fellow passengers just love love love Matazlan. One in particular told me how much she just loves Stone Island and always just catches a water taxi to get there. It is really close and easy. Not sure how safe it is but she didn't feel as though there was any risk whatsoever.

They do have several other restaurants along the beach ... don't expect fancy or even anything remotely related to something you'd find along the waterfront like in Cabo. We've never eaten at any of these places so cannot speak to the cleanliness of their kitchens or the quality of the food. You can be the judge if you decide to go.

Stone Island, do it on your own...very easy. Leave ship turn left and walk to end where there are water taxi's. All the chairs are associated with a restaurant of some kind. Pick the place you like, and order something. You are set for the day. So easy.

But.... keep in mind it is quite a "walk to the end" on a warm day especially if you are....maybe not as fit as you use to be. The ship could be berthed anywhere along the container port, which happens to be across the channel from stone island.

We did the river wildlife cruise that concludes with lunch on the stone island beach. Beautiful sand and water. Watch for the shrimp boats as this prime shrimping grounds. Enjoy!

Edited by MTJSR

For those who have gone To Stone Island on your own how long is the ferry ride & how often do they run. If we go on our own I like to know how long it takes to get back to the ship. The walk to & from ship to water taxis is how far & how long of walk. & one more ? Any place to snorkel there? Thanks everyone

I have done the Stone Island Beach Break excursion. It is just ok ... nothing spectacular ... but an ok way to spend the day.

As another post mentioned ... they take you on a water taxi over to the shore and then transport you to the place where you will spend the day.

At first arrival, it appears the place is very run down but the beach is nice. The water is pretty from afar but it isn't clean so swim at your own risk.

The place for the group has a restaurant with tables and chairs and some old loungers and chairs, limited shade but a nice relaxing way to spend the day. The chairs would hold you up but nothing fancy ... who needs fancy when you have functional.

A waiter from the restaurant comes around and offers you chips and guacamole ... they are not free. I think the charge was like $6 or similar to that. It's good ... not worth the price, though.

They let you know when lunch is to be served and all patrons were served the same lunch ... it was Mexican food and not bad at all. But, there will be cheese atop the refried beans. I did not get sick afterwards so think everything was a-ok. No burgers were served ... the food on our excursion included chicken enchiladas, beans and rice with a small salad and salsa. I won't eat the salad over there. That's just me.

My advise would be only to drink bottled water, beer, sodas, etc. It really isn't the cleanest place ever. I was a little apprehensive at first but had an ok time. I have gotten deathly ill after a land based vacation to Mazatlan once and am super careful over there if I even get off the ship for this port... maybe an overabundance of caution.

I have been on cruises where fellow passengers just love love love Matazlan. One in particular told me how much she just loves Stone Island and always just catches a water taxi to get there. It is really close and easy. Not sure how safe it is but she didn't feel as though there was any risk whatsoever.

They do have several other restaurants along the beach ... don't expect fancy or even anything remotely related to something you'd find along the waterfront like in Cabo. We've never eaten at any of these places so cannot speak to the cleanliness of their kitchens or the quality of the food. You can be the judge if you decide to go.

Thanks Cruise Raider for your review of the Stone Island Beach Break.

I now have second thoughts about this excursion. :(. I'm not a swimmer, so not too worried about the purity of ocean. I love shrimp, but not keen on the included a chicken enchilada, refrained beans,.toped with cheese, and salad lunch. I have a delicate stomach and don't eat cheese/dairy. Maybe look for an alternate shore excursion in Matzala?. I might instead do the beach excursion in Golden Zone, and find a Princess recommended restaurant that serves giant shrimp cooked in garlic or look at a beach day with lunch excursion when we stop in Cabo.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Try checking Google and Trip Advisor. I haven't been there or done that but, from what I see online, I think I'd just do it "on my own" rather than paying cruise line prices for what seems to be a sub-optimal experience.

For those who have gone To Stone Island on your own how long is the ferry ride & how often do they run. If we go on our own I like to know how long it takes to get back to the ship. The walk to & from ship to water taxis is how far & how long of walk. & one more ? Any place to snorkel there? Thanks everyone

The ferry and open air trolley once you get there is by ship excursion schedule only. You all go in a group and come back in a group. It takes approx 30 minutes to get to your spot on the beach and then the same coming back. So, a bit longer when a group needs to be organized. It really is right across the waterway where the ship docks. I bet a good swimmer could do it ... but not allowed, of course.

From what I remember, if you want to do it on your own, you can just pick up a water taxi right down the dock ... maybe a 5 minute walk. Now, that is if they are still allowed to pick you up at the dock but if not, it wouldn't be too far as the ships usually dock right across from Stone Island.

Also, the ride over would probably be 5-10 minutes -- again, if all still in place, they drop you at the end of the beach right across from the dock and then you can walk the length of the beach to choose your spot. The walk on the beach could take as long as an hour or so depending on how fast you walk in sand. If you are expecting white powdery sand, this is not the place to go. I almost forgot to mention, be sure to take some insect repellent wipes or spray before you go. There were quite a few mosquitoes and sand fleas when we were there last. I make a point of that now with all the talk about zika.

Edited by Cruise Raider

The ferry ride is no longer than fifteen minutes. It takes about fifteen minutes to walk from the ship terminal area to the ferry. They run quite often. I guess every half hour or so. No snorkeling, it is a sandy flat bottom. It is a fun day and very easy to do on your own. Marias happy horses is fun. She will be on the beach offering horseback riding. It is very safe and reasonably priced. Victors restaurant on the beach offers terrific seafood.

The ferry ride is no longer than fifteen minutes. It takes about fifteen minutes to walk from the ship terminal area to the ferry. They run quite often. I guess every half hour or so. No snorkeling, it is a sandy flat bottom. It is a fun day and very easy to do on your own. Marias happy horses is fun. She will be on the beach offering horseback riding. It is very safe and reasonably priced. Victors restaurant on the beach offers terrific seafood.

I read somewhere that Victor's closed. Maybe it has reopened since ships started going back to Mazatlan. That is where we spent the day. Their garlic shrimp was awesome!

I will add a little to doins Stone Island on your own.

First, no matter where the ship docks, they have a free trolley that takes you to the terminal building because the area has lots of trucks and containers and walking through the area is not permitted.

After you exit the terminal building, you can either walk the three blocks to the water taxi terminal or take a pulmonia taxi. Since mosxt of the places on Stone Island open around nine am, I suggest taking a city tour in a pulmonia to see the divers, cathedral, mercado, malecon, and any other sights you want to see before having the driver drop you off at the water taxi.

The water taxis run when they have people show up, so they are not on a schedule. The same way on the return. When they see people on the dock at Stone Island, they send a boat over if one is not already there. The cost is around three dollars US for the round trip.

If you don't want to walk the beach, there is usually a vehicle that will take you to the restaurant of your choice for a few dollars (The price is negotiable). The same for the return to the dock if you ask the waiter to call for a ride.

Victor's may be closed because I haven't seen anybody there in my last few trips to Lety's (which is next door to Victor's)

I hope this info helps those who haven't experienced this trip back in time to the Mexico I remember from many years ago. No big hotels, simply a rather primitive area and very nice people.

I will add a little to doins Stone Island on your own.

First, no matter where the ship docks, they have a free trolley that takes you to the terminal building because the area has lots of trucks and containers and walking through the area is not permitted.

After you exit the terminal building, you can either walk the three blocks to the water taxi terminal or take a pulmonia taxi. Since mosxt of the places on Stone Island open around nine am, I suggest taking a city tour in a pulmonia to see the divers, cathedral, mercado, malecon, and any other sights you want to see before having the driver drop you off at the water taxi.

The water taxis run when they have people show up, so they are not on a schedule. The same way on the return. When they see people on the dock at Stone Island, they send a boat over if one is not already there. The cost is around three dollars US for the round trip.

If you don't want to walk the beach, there is usually a vehicle that will take you to the restaurant of your choice for a few dollars (The price is negotiable). The same for the return to the dock if you ask the waiter to call for a ride.

Victor's may be closed because I haven't seen anybody there in my last few trips to Lety's (which is next door to Victor's)

I hope this info helps those who haven't experienced this trip back in time to the Mexico I remember from many years ago. No big hotels, simply a rather primitive area and very nice people.

Thanks this is very informative answers alot of questions