Alcohol anyone?

PrincessMelody

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wonder about bringing along a bottle of wine or two, and perhaps a bottle of liquor and some soda as well on our cruise to drink in the cabin. I've never done it, and wondered if it is allowed?

Thanks!!:)

Hi Trinity!

Good news. Yes! Princess allows one bottle each of wine per person, though many people bring more.

Please don't feel shy about asking a question because it may have been asked before. The fact is there are few if ANY questions that have NOT been asked before. But, many times a person will ask a question and generate a discussion thread just different enough that a LOT of new answers/ideas will result. Only a few diehards will ever mind seeing a repeat questions -- and those should really avoid using boards like this.

Cheers!

Tee

Princess allows carrying on one bottle of wine per person and unlimited soda.

They do not allow you to carry on alcohol. If they see it, they will hold it for you until the last night of the cruise. I have never heard of them actually taking a bottle of alcohol from someone.

Trinity,

From what I've read on the message boards in the past (and from our own experience), more than one bottle of wine per person isn't generally a problem, and if you put the liquor discreetly in your checked luggage (wrapped carefully and maybe in a ziplock bag in case of breakage), it will likely not be confiscated and held until the end of the cruise.

Of couse, it could be a different story if you're planning on setting up a full bar in your cabin and checking a case of wine! :) We usually bring a few bottles of wine (to bring with us to dinner or drink on our balcony) and one bottle of liquor. Hope this helps!

The only time I've ever seen Princess hold purchases of alcohol has been when returning to the ship in St Thomas where people were boarding with 6 pack boxes of the stuff. If you had concealed it some what there wasn't any problem.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wonder about bringing along a bottle of wine or two, and perhaps a bottle of liquor and some soda as well on our cruise to drink in the cabin. I've never done it, and wondered if it is allowed?

Thanks!!:)

I will take it on for you. So you may come to my cabin and drink it W/ me.

:D LOL

On a related note and since we're already discussing bringing alcohol aboard, is there a place in Beijing where we could buy a bottle or two of Jagermeister before boarding the Diamond? What I mean is, do they have liquor store type establishments over in that part of the world?

This is really great being able to bring wine on board. Last cruise was on RCI and they were very strict about bringing beverages on board. I read that some fill their glass in their stateroom and then go on to dinner or to the lounge and that this doesn't cause any problems. However is it possible to bring an already corked bottle to the dining room? Having had a look at the prices on the princess wine list , it doesn't seem to make sense bringing your own bottle and paying the $15 corkage fee, unless maybe if you are bringing an expensive bottle. But if the prices are correct it seems that you would be better off getting it directly from the wine list. At least regarding the champagnes. I live in Italy and therfor I am not so familiar with the wines on their wine list, except for the ones imported from Italy and I can assure you that they are way too expensive!!!! Can anyone suggest a medium quality chardonnay or sauvignon or other white wine from the princess wine list that represents a fair price quality ratio? I will also bring some of my own for afternoon happy hours while hanging around the pool! thanks for listening! Diane

Thanks so much for all the replies!! Since we are driving to the port, it seems that we could just grab a few bottles while in Ft. Lauderdale and carry them onboard.

Sorry for going a bit off my original question, but I too am interested in possibly bringing my own bottle of wine to dinner and paying the corkage fee...is that allowed? There are a few wines I really enjoy that I haven't found on the Princess wine list. But I certainly don't want to do it if it is not allowed. If not, then could you all give me a few recommendations on some wines that you enjoy and that are a good value from thier wine list? I love a good red, and will definitely try a white as well...as long as it's not to sweet. THANKS SO MUCH!!:)

Read the policy and see your contract for the definitive answer from Princess, which basically says that you can bring one bottle of wine per passenger for consumption in your cabin , or in the dining room (with a corkage fee). But know that the general concensus among travelers is that Princess seems to be somewhat relaxed about allowing more than one bottle of wine. Many people have reported having no problem bring as much as a case on board with them.

Other alcohol and liquor is a different story though. Princess policy states that they will confiscate it and hold it for you until the last night of the cruise. This is also the policy with duty free liquor purchased on board the ship. But again, some posters have reported that a bottle or two, carefully packed in your checked luggage, may get through all right. Just be discreet about keeping and consuming it in your cabin.

Thanks so much for all the replies!! Since we are driving to the port, it seems that we could just grab a few bottles while in Ft. Lauderdale and carry them onboard.

Sorry for going a bit off my original question, but I too am interested in possibly bringing my own bottle of wine to dinner and paying the corkage fee...is that allowed? There are a few wines I really enjoy that I haven't found on the Princess wine list. But I certainly don't want to do it if it is not allowed. If not, then could you all give me a few recommendations on some wines that you enjoy and that are a good value from thier wine list? I love a good red, and will definitely try a white as well...as long as it's not to sweet. THANKS SO MUCH!!:)

There is absolutely no problem with bringing your own bottle of wine to the dining room at dinner. Your waiter will open it for you and have you sign for the corkage fee (or you could offer him a taste and perhaps he'll "forget" about the fee -- it's been known to happen!).

As far as wines that are good value on the list, that's a minefield since everyone's taste and wallet are so different. I will just say that I'm a fan of the Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio, and the price of $39 is only about a 25% markup over the grocery store price for it here. Also, Chateauneuf-du-Pape is my favourite and while the list never specifies the label or vintage, which drives me up the wall, the $30 price is a steal. It's never a great bottle but it's always been an acceptable quality. Finally, the Meritage Wells (I know I've mangled that name -- I can never remember it exactly but you should be able to figure out what I mean!) is an excellent choice and also pretty fairly priced considering what it costs us locally. Hope this helps a little.

There is absolutely no problem with bringing your own bottle of wine to the dining room at dinner. Your waiter will open it for you and have you sign for the corkage fee (or you could offer him a taste and perhaps he'll "forget" about the fee -- it's been known to happen!).

As far as wines that are good value on the list, that's a minefield since everyone's taste and wallet are so different. I will just say that I'm a fan of the Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio, and the price of $39 is only about a 25% markup over the grocery store price for it here. Also, Chateauneuf-du-Pape is my favourite and while the list never specifies the label or vintage, which drives me up the wall, the $30 price is a steal. It's never a great bottle but it's always been an acceptable quality. Finally, the Meritage Wells (I know I've mangled that name -- I can never remember it exactly but you should be able to figure out what I mean!) is an excellent choice and also pretty fairly priced considering what it costs us locally. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks so much for the info, and for your wine recommendations! I love to try different wines!! :)

Please keep the recommendations coming!!:D

Can anyone suggest a medium quality chardonnay or sauvignon or other white wine from the princess wine list that represents a fair price quality ratio? I will also bring some of my own for afternoon happy hours while hanging around the pool! thanks for listening! Diane

I like to bring Cunundrum aboard. Liquor stores sell it for $29 to $30. But it's only $22 at shopping clubs like BJ's and Sam's. It's a white and it's a mix of chardonnay and sauvignon, among other varities of grapes.

I agree with others about packing the wine in checked luggage. It makes no sense to flaunt the policy and force the checkers to do something. If it's in checked, they'll leave it alone. That's my experience on Carnival. RCI has a policy against bringing your own. When we went on RCI, I saw people sneaking it on. But that would make me nervous. I like the Carnival/Princess policy. Our steward saw our bottle of wine and brought wine glasses to our cabin and kept one bottle on ice the whole time.

We were never charged for corkage on Carnival. Maybe the waiter understood the need for it since we cruise with our children.

The only time I've ever seen Princess hold purchases of alcohol has been when returning to the ship in St Thomas where people were boarding with 6 pack boxes of the stuff. If you had concealed it some what there wasn't any problem.

This was my thought too--I've only seen Princess check bags at ports of call, never at embarkation.

We've embarked in Vancouver, Seattle, Ft. Lauderdale, San Pedro and Papeete and have never seen any inspection of luggage other than by the Homeland Security folks (or the equivalent). And they're just looking for bombs and guns--you could be packing an entire liquor store for all they care.

Read the policy and see your contract for the definitive answer from Princess, which basically says that you can bring one bottle of wine per passenger for consumption in your cabin , or in the dining room (with a corkage fee). But know that the general concensus among travelers is that Princess seems to be somewhat relaxed about allowing more than one bottle of wine. Many people have reported having no problem bring as much as a case on board with them.

Other alcohol and liquor is a different story though. Princess policy states that they will confiscate it and hold it for you until the last night of the cruise. This is also the policy with duty free liquor purchased on board the ship. But again, some posters have reported that a bottle or two, carefully packed in your checked luggage, may get through all right. Just be discreet about keeping and consuming it in your cabin.

We are cruising on the Diamond Princess this Christmas and in the "Exotics" brochure for 2007/8 it says you can bring one bottle of wine each etc. However in the "Exotics" brochure for 2008/9 that paragraph has been changed to "no alcohol" at all.

This is the Australian edition of the brochure so I wonder whether this is particular to our neck of the woods or whether the US brochure has been changed also.

Take a bottle well protected in Luggage you give porter. Wine allowed through carry on.

Beer in smaller qty's in each port and in Lauderdale packed.

I am absolutely sure waiter would not charge you corkage if a belly dancer walked in with a bottle or 2.;)

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the wine on board.:)

DH and I always take a couple of bottles onboard to enjoy in our stateroom, but we think that Princess has a decent winelist with reasonable pricing. Waiters have provided good advice about wines, and we now have our own Princess favorites.

Note for anyone taking wine onboard: Corkscrews are no longer available in the onboard boutiques, so, if you plan to enjoy wine in your stateroom without having to call room service and be charged for corkage, be sure to pack a corkscrew ;)

Cheers!

Chris

• 7 years later...

Hi, Carnival allows each person to bring one bottle of wine on for embarkation. We are cruising out of Honolulu in April. Are there liquor stores close by the port to be able to purchase to take on board or should we bring it from home? We hate to have to pack bottles on our luggage.

My partner accidentally left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. We had boarded early in the boarding process. My checked bag arrived shortly after we boarded but my partner's bag did not show up until after 5 PM and our departure from the port in FLL. It had a note inside that they had opened the bag and found the bottle of wine with a message to not put it in checked luggage. This was in February of this year on the Royal Princess.

It has been our experience that departing a US port, Princess has been very consistent in charging the corking fee for any bottles of wine over the one/person limit. This is not a problem for us who usually bring a bottle of wine for every day on the ship. We enjoy the bottle on our balcony in the late afternoon.

Here is the actual policy from the passage contract. Basically it says carry on wine ok, any other alcohol not ok, and by omission no limits on non alcoholic beverages. Bottles of wine carried on in excess of the 750ml limit are subject to the $15 corkage fee charged to your account when boarding. These bottles will be marked and can be consumed in any public area. Bottles that are not marked can be brought to any public area and you will be charged the corkage at that time.

“Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.”

Hi, Carnival allows each person to bring one bottle of wine on for embarkation. We are cruising out of Honolulu in April. Are there liquor stores close by the port to be able to purchase to take on board or should we bring it from home? We hate to have to pack bottles on our luggage.

Nothing close to the port. You'll have to stop somewhere on the way from the airport or your hotel (hopefully, you're not arriving the day of embarkation).

Hi Trinity!

Please don't feel shy about asking a question because it may have been asked before. The fact is there are few if ANY questions that have NOT been asked before. But, many times a person will ask a question and generate a discussion thread just different enough that a LOT of new answers/ideas will result. Only a few diehards will ever mind seeing a repeat questions -- and those should really avoid using boards like this.

Cheers!

Tee

Thank you for saying that Tee. :) I too never mind seeing repeat questions. I also sometimes do not ask questions for fear someone might get upset..