water shoes - can I wear hard soled ones to snorkel?

tbmrt

I know we can't mention brand names, but wondering if I should wear my cheap nylon topped standard water shoes or those similar to K__nes with harder bottom for snorkeling in areas with sea urchins, etc.

The shoes with the harder bottoms (K__nes) would seem better, but wonder if they are clunky to wear in water snorkeling?

Thanks

I use diver's fins when I snorkel, so I wear the more flexible reef shoes. The diver's fins slip on over the shoes. Reef shoes are also flexible enough that I can swim in them. Swimming in something like Keens would be much harder.

You're aware that putting your feet down once you're in deep enough water to swim is discouraged, right? You don't want to accidentally squish any critters, so most of the time snorkeling is spent floating or swimming. I usually wade in about thigh deep, get my fins on, put my face down, push off, and go.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom

I use diver's fins when I snorkel' date=' so I wear the more flexible reef shoes. The diver's fins slip on over the shoes. Reef shoes are also flexible enough that I can swim in them. Swimming in something like Keens would be much harder.

You're aware that putting your feet down once you're in deep enough water to swim is discouraged, right? You don't want to accidentally squish any critters, so most of the time snorkeling is spent floating or swimming. I usually wade in about thigh deep, get my fins on, put my face down, push off, and go.[/quote']

This.

I use diver's fins when I snorkel' date=' so I wear the more flexible reef shoes. The diver's fins slip on over the shoes. Reef shoes are also flexible enough that I can swim in them. Swimming in something like Keens would be much harder.

You're aware that putting your feet down once you're in deep enough water to swim is discouraged, right? You don't want to accidentally squish any critters, so most of the time snorkeling is spent floating or swimming. I usually wade in about thigh deep, get my fins on, put my face down, push off, and go.[/quote']

Yes, I understand about floating or swimming and not "stepping on stuff"...I am just afraid of getting in and out of the water to the point of being able to float/swim

I know we can't mention brand names, but wondering if I should wear my cheap nylon topped standard water shoes or those similar to K__nes with harder bottom for snorkeling in areas with sea urchins, etc.

The shoes with the harder bottoms (K__nes) would seem better, but wonder if they are clunky to wear in water snorkeling?

Thanks

We can advise you better if you tell us where you plan to snorkel.

Aren't you going to wear flippers?

Not the OP, but I am also going to snorkel on my cruise (Cozumel & Roatan) and I thought flippers were more for serious snorkeling?

If we are snorkeling for the first time and just going from the shore (and not very far, since my 4 year old will be with us), can we just use the water shoes without snorkel fins?

Not the OP, but I am also going to snorkel on my cruise (Cozumel & Roatan) and I thought flippers were more for serious snorkeling?

If we are snorkeling for the first time and just going from the shore (and not very far, since my 4 year old will be with us), can we just use the water shoes without snorkel fins?

You don't need fins.

Yes, I understand about floating or swimming and not "stepping on stuff"...I am just afraid of getting in and out of the water to the point of being able to float/swim

The easiest way is to put on your fins while on the beach and then turn around so you can walk backward into the surf until you its deep enough to turn and float. Then, do the same thing when you are getting out onto the beach.

The easiest way is to put on your fins while on the beach and then turn around so you can walk backward into the surf until you its deep enough to turn and float. Then, do the same thing when you are getting out onto the beach.

This is really not safe. You should carry your fins to waist deep water and put them on there. You should NEVER walk in fins.

As far as shoes you should not need any type of shoes to snorkel. You should walk in to and out of the water on sand, and never touch any rocks or coral.

This is really not safe. You should carry your fins to waist deep water and put them on there. You should NEVER walk in fins.

As far as shoes you should not need any type of shoes to snorkel. You should walk in to and out of the water on sand, and never touch any rocks or coral.

It is safe...snorkeling from a beach 101

You don't *need* fins, but they help give you more power to work with or against waves and currents. If you are staying in a very calm area, you won't need them. If you have wave action or currents in your area, you'll want them.

Regular water shoes are fine....off the beach snorkeling is easy at the park in cozumel....chankanaub.....don't miss stingray city in grand cayman....go with captain marvin,making sure your little one can wear a life jacket he should be able to provide...an outstanding excursion....I wear water shoes on most excursions into any water.....you would sense you are touching something immediately and able to move away.....my grown daughter was careless and did knick a black uurchin.... some gin and a needle fixed her up....

It is not safe. . . . snorkeling from a beach 101. Never ever under any circumstance should you walk in fins, either front or backwards.

I respect your opinion but it is not necessarily everyone's opinion or the only way to enter the water, especially in a current.

If anyone wants to hear more on beach entry while snorkeling, search the Scuba and Snorkeling forum here on Cruise Critic or google it.

Edited by Chloe1500

It is not safe. . . . snorkeling from a beach 101. Never ever under any circumstance should you walk in fins, either front or backwards.

Why do you think it isn't safe? I've snorkeled from a beach many times. I put my fins on and walk backwards into the water until its deep enough to swim. That works just fine and I have always felt perfectly safe.