Chip-Enabled Credit Cards in Europe

colliercruiser

If i have a chip-enabled credit card, how do I tell if it is chip & pin or chip & signature? Do I need to call the card issuer or can I tell by the card itself?

You usually need to set up a 4 digit PIN before you can activate your card

That is how it works here in Canada our debit/ATM cards work the same way we set up a PIN with the bank

The machine readers are different types here if a chip & Pin card you insert it in the bottom of the machine approve the purchase then put in your PIN

Other cards (debit) you swipe your card on the side of the machine enter OK then enter your PIN

Then we also have the WAVE where you just tap your card on the front of the machine & voila your purchase it done ..no PIN needed ;)

A google search should bring up CC issuers with the Chip & PIN cards for USA

Edited by LHT28

made a point to get a chip & pin card b4 recent trip "over there'.

in 6 weeks of travel never once was asked/offered to use the pin function ..... I still don't know if it works.

I also just got a replacement card for a different account in the mail ... wasn't expired .... company (CITI) replaced with a chip & pin

made a point to get a chip & pin card b4 recent trip "over there'.

in 6 weeks of travel never once was asked/offered to use the pin function ..... I still don't know if it works.

Did you still sign for purchases?

Maybe they assumed you American card did not have the PIN feature yet

I confirmed with the bank that my new card is chip & signature. The confusion was that they are sending a pin separately, but they said that is only for ATM withdrawals in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a warning don't use it for ATM withdrawals, unless you're ok with aver 20% interest calculated from the time of the withdrawal.

I do not believe any USA bank offers Chip and pin.Will someone prove me wrong? please, cause I would like one. Also we just returned from almost 3 weeks in Europe, not once was I refused service because I had no pin. Even out in the boonies of Hungary.

Many US banks do, and have for years.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

Some U.S. cards have PIN capabilities, though, meaning that, if a terminal abroad requires a PIN, you can use one. Select cards from Wells Fargo, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard and the Sam’s Club card, for example

There is a lot of unclear information on this thread.

American cards currently being issued are MOSTLY chip and signature, not chip and pin. However A FEW issuers are offering true chip and pin cards.

Currently in Europe, chip and signature cards work well in nearly every instance, except at unmanned kiosks (e.g., bus or rail ticket machines, parking and toll machines, etc.)

Just because your card has a chip and you receive a pin, it does not necessarily mean your card is chip and pin enabled. The pin may be for access at ATMs. It is best to check CAREFULLY and read any materials the issuer provides about the card.

There are a number of good articles online (by Rick Steves and other well known travel experts) about the best usages of credit cards and ATMs and the fees associated with each one.

It's good to remember that many credit cards charge a foreign conversion fee of up to 3% of any transaction. So the holy grail is to find a credit card with chip-and-pin (or at the least chip-and-signature, which is being rolled out for most US cards right now) AND with no foreign conversion fee.

USAA and Chase for two. All banks should be issuing them by the end of this month.

NO, NO, NO! It has been reported several times on this thread that US banks and card companies will NOT be chip and pin. The agreement is that they will all be chip and SIGNATURE. They will NOT be chip and pin.

And, banks and card issuers are not required to replace the cards with these new cards. The agreement also stipulates that older cards must be accepted for several years in the future. Some banks will only replace them when a customer requests it, some only when the current card nears expiration date, and some when the account number is replaced with a new one due to security risks.

US cards will NOT be chip and pin.

Edited by SantaFeFan

SOME are, SOME will be, and SOME can be if one calls and requests one. As reported by several in this thread, we already hold them and have for several years for international travel. Several Airline and Hotel affinity cards for example.

You are right that the current directive only REQUIRES Chip and Sign, and the majority of cards being reissued now are NOT chip and PIN, but chip and PIN cards are still being issued in some cases.

Specific examples of US issued Chip and PIN (not Chip and Sign) cards:

• Alaska Airlines Credit card
  • Barclay Cards I have one if these, it is Apple's Finance company for their credit card)
  • Diner's Club Cards (all are chip and PIN already)
  • Wells Fargo has multiple options, including VI, MC and Amex card option
  • Sam's Club cards
  • CitiBank government-issued credit cards
  • UNFCU Visa Elite
  • American Express has the option

And while banks are not REQUIRED to have all cards swapped by now, those who have not done so, are still accepting the risk for disputed transactions, where those banks who have issued Chip cards, now pass that liability to the business owners. SO banks are VERY keen to get this done. As a business owner, if I swipe a card that has a chip in it rather than "dip" it and customer disputes the charge, I immediately lose the claim, even if I have their signature and photograph taking the item. Where before chip, If I proved signature, I won the claim.

So banks can pass, if they want, but there's HUGE financial incentive to comply immediately.

Here's a chart listing many banks, and where they stand in the Swipe to Chip swap out. Some automatically issue cards, others on request, others on expiration.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

Edited by cle-guy

I do not believe any USA bank offers Chip and pin.Will someone prove me wrong? please, cause I would like one. Also we just returned from almost 3 weeks in Europe, not once was I refused service because I had no pin. Even out in the boonies of Hungary.

My Target card is chip and pin - TD bank USA N.A.

Also Chase has chip and pin.

Hi,

I work on board trains in the UK, and take payment by credit and debit cards from many different nationalities.

In my experience, with the card readers we use, I will put any card in the terminal, and the terminal will read the card and proceed accordingly. If the card is PIN enabled, it will ask for a PIN, if the card is chip and sign, it will print a slip to be signed. This is an automatic process, and really doesn't cause any issues at all.

Now, if your card is truly chip and PIN, and you don't have your PIN, you might end up in a few sticky situations. However, sometimes people forget their PIN etc, and to be honest, if you have some ID and your card is signed and in the same name as your ID, just about everywhere will print you off a slip to sign instead.

Obviously, you won't be able to use those pesky unmanned machines, except up to £30 using contact less payment if your card is enabled for that. We call it contact less, I think you call it wave?

Hope this all helps a bit

Scarlet

NO, NO, NO! It has been reported several times on this thread that US banks and card companies will NOT be chip and pin. The agreement is that they will all be chip and SIGNATURE. They will NOT be chip and pin.

And, banks and card issuers are not required to replace the cards with these new cards. The agreement also stipulates that older cards must be accepted for several years in the future. Some banks will only replace them when a customer requests it, some only when the current card nears expiration date, and some when the account number is replaced with a new one due to security risks.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Who gave you that information? My USAA MasterCard is, in fact, chip and PIN. Such configuration is essential when travelling in Europe.

Your blatant misinformation is a serious disservice to the users of this site. Please verify your "facts" before passing them on.

Please don't yell. You are flat out incorrect. Several of my cards are chip and pin. Using them in Europe verified this. Others might be, the info that came with them indicated that the terminal will prompt for PIN or sig.

It's good to remember that many credit cards charge a foreign conversion fee of up to 3% of any transaction. So the holy grail is to find a credit card with chip-and-pin (or at the least chip-and-signature, which is being rolled out for most US cards right now) AND with no foreign conversion fee.

a foreign conversion fee will be charged by all cards for purchases outside of the Country of origin

A foreign transaction fee is something the CC or bank charges you when you use your CC outside the originating Country usually 1-4% of the transaction charge

Some Card companies & banks do not charge the FTF

I know of no banks or CC that will offer a straight exchange

Eg: GBP to USD on a 1 for 1 basis

be sure you know the difference

Please don't yell. You are flat out incorrect. Several of my cards are chip and pin. Using them in Europe verified this. Others might be, the info that came with them indicated that the terminal will prompt for PIN or sig.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Who gave you that information? My USAA MasterCard is, in fact, chip and PIN. Such configuration is essential when travelling in Europe.

Your blatant misinformation is a serious disservice to the users of this site. Please verify your "facts" before passing them on.

Only a few card issuers will issue chip and pin cards. However, the majority will be chip an signature, which is what the large issuers like Mastercard and Visa have agreed to. Lot's of sources for my information that describe what I have posted - the majority of US card issuers will be using chip and signature, not chip an pin. Here are just a few that I found with a quick search:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php

http://www.howtogeek.com/216571/chip-credit-cards-are-coming-to-the-usa-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chip-and-pin-vs-chip-and-signature/

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/06/october-2015-the-end-of-the-swipe-and-sign-credit-card/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/creditcardscom/the-dirty-little-secret-y_b_5572081.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2015/10/01/us-shifts-credit-cards-chip-signature-still-do/73145306/

Edited by SantaFeFan

Only a few card issuers will issue chip and pin cards. However, the majority will be chip an signature, which is what the large issuers like Mastercard and Visa have agreed to. Lot's of sources for my information that describe what I have posted - the majority of US card issuers will be using chip and signature, not chip an pin. Here are just a few that I found with a quick search:

Yes those links all true, and live with hat almost all of us here are saying, that's the current minimum regulation in the US, but some banks are proving Chip and PIN cards and going beyond the minimum regulatory standard. It's not unusual for news outlets to not give specific details in their reporting and just graze the surface, as many have done.

What is not true are your statements:

NO, NO, NO! It has been reported several times on this thread that US banks and card companies will NOT be chip and pin

Some US companies are issuing Chip and PIN, several as several of us have replied.

Had you said not all banks are issuing chip and PIN that would be correct. But a blanket statement, NO NO NO, and that they ARE NOT, is simply factually incorrect.

All we were doing was correcting your factually incorrect information. Chip and PIN cards are readily available from many banks in the USA. Citibank, Wells Fargo, Chase, American Express, Barclay's, Diner's Club. These are big players in Banking and therefore many cards are out that have the PIN option which will work internationally. Now as to PIN functionality in the US, many merchants may not be able to accept PIN processing but the fact remains the card is capable of it, depending on the hardware installed at the POS. As the poster from UK said, once a card is dipped, the terminal decides how it will process the card automatically., If the terminal can take PIN, and the card has a PIN, it will require a PIN. If the card has no pin, or the terminal is incapable of accepting a pin, it will require signature. It is automatically figured out by the POS terminal hardware.

You should have simply replied, "Thanks for the information, I had no idea - always nice to learn something new".

Edited by cle-guy

Yes those links all true, and live with hat almost all of us here are saying, that's the current minimum regulation in the US, but some banks are proving Chip and PIN cards and going beyond the minimum regulatory standard. It's not unusual for news outlets to not give specific details in their reporting and just graze the surface, as many have done.

What is not true are your statements:

Some US companies are issuing Chip and PIN, several as several of us have replied.

Had you said not all banks are issuing chip and PIN that would be correct. But a blanket statement, NO NO NO, and that they ARE NOT, is simply factually incorrect.

All we were doing was correcting your factually incorrect information. Chip and PIN cards are readily available from many banks in the USA. Citibank, Wells Fargo, Chase, American Express, Barclay's, Diner's Club. These are big players in Banking and therefore many cards are out that have the PIN option which will work internationally. Now as to PIN functionality in the US, many merchants may not be able to accept PIN processing but the fact remains the card is capable of it, depending on the hardware installed at the POS. As the poster from UK said, once a card is dipped, the terminal decides how it will process the card automatically., If the terminal can take PIN, and the card has a PIN, it will require a PIN. If the card has no pin, or the terminal is incapable of accepting a pin, it will require signature. It is automatically figured out by the POS terminal hardware.

You should have simply replied, "Thanks for the information, I had no idea - always nice to learn something new".

Sadly, your including Citibank among US card issuers capable of PIN technology is incorrect. I just spent a frustrating few minutes talking with one of their reps, and with that rep's supervisor, only to be told that Citibanks credit cards are not yet "PIN-ready". I had hoped to add a PIN to my Citibank chip card - to back up my USAA and UBS cards -- no: just their ATM cards are PIN-capable -- but they are "working on it diligently".

a foreign conversion fee will be charged by all cards for purchases outside of the Country of origin

A foreign transaction fee is something the CC or bank charges you when you use your CC outside the originating Country usually 1-4% of the transaction charge

Some Card companies & banks do not charge the FTF

I know of no banks or CC that will offer a straight exchange

Eg: GBP to USD on a 1 for 1 basis

be sure you know the difference

You are correct; I apparently used the wrong term. I was speaking of the foreign transaction fee (although I have also seen it referred to as a foreign conversion fee).

My Cap One card does not charge any foreign transaction fee, nor is there any conversion fee I am aware of. The conversion is handled at the official exchange rate....

I will also say that conversion rates for credit cards are generally good (as are ATM conversion rates) -- much better than most can do at any exchange kiosk.

Edited by cruisemom42

Sadly, your including Citibank among US card issuers capable of PIN technology is incorrect. I just spent a frustrating few minutes talking with one of their reps, and with that rep's supervisor, only to be told that Citibanks credit cards are not yet "PIN-ready". I had hoped to add a PIN to my Citibank chip card - to back up my USAA and UBS cards -- no: just their ATM cards are PIN-capable -- but they are "working on it diligently".

Well, they seem to not know their own corporate marketing materials.

http://www.citibank.com/transactionservices/home/email/a2/misc/102349_chip_and_pin/cardholder_faq.pdf

They have rolled out C&P to businesses and government agencies, consumer cards can't be too far off.

You are correct; I apparently used the wrong term. I was speaking of the foreign transaction fee (although I have also seen it referred to as a foreign conversion fee).

My Cap One card does not charge any foreign transaction fee, nor is there any conversion fee I am aware of. The conversion is handled at the official exchange rate....

I imagine the conversion fee is wrapped up in the exchange rate charged by your bank or cc supplier

Here with our Canadian CC the FTF is hidden in the exchange rate but I did find Sears Chase Mastercard have no FTF so we have that for travelling out of North America

It is all a big game ;)

I've heard that Europe uses chip-enabled credit cards widely. Do these transactions require a pin or is a signature ok?

I just received a new chip-enabled card, expedited overnight to me since we leave soon. I wanted it since it is free and doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. However, the pin is being mailed separately and may not make it here in time.

Will I find no pin a hassle or only at some terminals & kiosks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The chip does work in Europe. However, your pin cannot be more than 4 digits if it is more pin will not work.

Well, they seem to not know their own corporate marketing materials.

http://www.citibank.com/transactionservices/home/email/a2/misc/102349_chip_and_pin/cardholder_faq.pdf

They have rolled out C&P to businesses and government agencies, consumer cards can't be too far off.

Thanks for the site - too bad their operating people are lagging behind their PR folk. But it is carefully worded, in that while it goes to great length to describe how great the technology is, it does not really state that the technology is actually accessible.

Thanks for the site - too bad their operating people are lagging behind their PR folk. But it is carefully worded, in that while it goes to great length to describe how great the technology is, it does not really state that the technology is actually accessible.

The US government cards issued by Citi are all using Chip and Pin now.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/faqs_chip_admin.pdf

Please be careful with those blanket statements about which banks and financial institutions in the US are already issuing C&P cards. Take AMEX for example. I have two different AMEX cards, the personal Platinum and the Delta Platinum. Both have chips, neither are PIN, only sig. And, they are physically new cards as of April 2015. I also have a Citibank-issued HHonors Reserve card with a chip. Again, only sig. Now, it is possible that both of these institutions have one or two C&P cards issued for specific types of accounts. But, they do not offer C&P for all their cards.

That said, I made it through my April/May trip to Italy with most of my charges on my Plat AMEX card and the ones that didn't take AMEX went on my HHonors Visa. The only hiccup I had, and I knew it would happen, was with Metro and Trenitalia kiosks. So, I made sure I had cash for the Metro and I used the e-ticket function of the Trenitalia website and app (even for my tickets to/from FCO and Termini and Termini and Firenze SMN stations.