Mosquito repellant bracelets?

OctoberKat

I figure mosquito repellant bracelets come under the too-good-to-be-true category but i thought to check here to learn if anyone has experience of these and their efficacy.

Had them on my ankles in Central and South America during our PC cruise.

I also wore the strongest jungle formula spray as I am often a buffet to bugs.

No bites at all!

However I picked up the bands for £1 ($1.50) each so maybe it was the jungle spray.

I had these ones:

51S9PVSC0rL._SY300_.jpg

I figure mosquito repellant bracelets come under the too-good-to-be-true category but i thought to check here to learn if anyone has experience of these and their efficacy.

DW and I each bought one from Walmart for our Yangtse River cruise. They were just over a dollar each and were "Slinky" like. They were intended to be worn on the wrist but we were leery of it touchy our skin. My DW teased me about wearing them on my ankle over the socks so I clipped it to my back pack and she attached it to her purse. We hung them on our balcony door handles when we were on the ship. No bites at all for us.

My wife wears than. She is a "bug" magnet. She swears by them.

I work for a hardware distributor on the east coast...we sell thousands and thousands of these, most of them go to contractors and other folks who work outside. I was skeptical about them at first, but the reorders keep coming in.

My local garden shop sells them and I was really considering buying them. I'm glad to hear others are having luck with them. I just hate bug spray but I know that it's important. Especially in the islands. Maybe this is the answer for me!

It is important to use some type of mosquito repellant in the Caribbean right now due to Chikungunya Fever. On my Allure of the Seas cruise last March, I saw some people who came back from rafting on the Martha Brae in Jamaica and they had tons of mosquito bites that were pus filled - an indication of some sort of infection in the mosquito mouth parts. Whether it turned out to be Chikungunya, I don't know, but they were very concerned.

We've never been bothered by mosquitos on a cruise....you're generally not out in the twilight, which is when they're active. During the daytime, they're a non-issue.

We'll be cruising deep into the Amazon and our suite fearures a large veranda. Plus outdoor dining, etc.

We've never been bothered by mosquitos on a cruise....you're generally not out in the twilight, which is when they're active. During the daytime, they're a non-issue.

I got several nasty mosquito bites pre cruise in New York during the day!

there had been heavy rain in the few days prior so trees were hanging low

we were on an open top bus and the branches kept hitting the top of bus and must have disturbed sleeping mossies!

My husband and daughter weren't affected but my bites blistered and looked dreadful-since then I wear these bands during the day as a precaution-you can get patterned bands which look quite fashionable!

Here's a bunch of options on amazon if you cant find them locally...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mosquito+repellant+bands

We have done a lot of research on mosquito repellant bands and sprays because we will be on safari in South Africa next month. Most reports are fairly specific that "deet" needs to be part of the formula - not the natural substances that most of us prefer. Just wanted to share that information:)

Too good to be true seems to be the case. There are many internet sites that debunk bracelet/band efficacy over topical DEET compounds. Here's a link that summarizes issues and conclusions. Also, a fan-powered clip-on version (!) exists and it, too, is not as protective as DEET topicals.

https://cameronwebb.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/do-mosquito-repellent-wrist-bands-work/

Given the exposure we expect, we're going for DEET sprays, lotions and pads.

Edited by OctoberKat

This is absolutely not true. The Aedes mosquito is a daytime feeder and is also a potential carrier of Chikungunya, Dengue Fever and Eastern Equine Encephalitis.

IMO, it is important to know what type of mosquitos are in the area you will be visiting. When we were in the Caribbean last year we had the topical spray recommended for use against mosquitos that spread Chikungunya. For South Africa we are using the Deet bands on our on our ankles and wrists (will be wearing long sleeved shirts/blouses of course) and will use topical formula for other areas. Note: Clothing impregnated with mosquito repellent is available on the market (lasts through 70 washings). Website: http://www.exofficio.com/technology/bugsaway-anti-insect

This is absolutely not true. The Aedes mosquito is a daytime feeder and is also a potential carrier of Chikungunya, Dengue Fever and Eastern Equine Encephalitis.

Yes, tahqa, you are correct. Many believe mosquitos to be of only of crepuscular concern but that is untrue of Aedes which can transmit, as you noted, various nasties including Chikungunya and Dengue. Aedes is a daytime feeder, all day long. There are no inoculations or vaccinations against these diseases. Yet. They are apparently getting close on dengue.

Edited by OctoberKat

Had them on my ankles in Central and South America during our PC cruise.

I also wore the strongest jungle formula spray as I am often a buffet to bugs.

No bites at all!

However I picked up the bands for £1 ($1.50) each so maybe it was the jungle spray.

I had these ones:

51S9PVSC0rL._SY300_.jpg

Unfortunately these are not available in the U.S. I really need these for camping - I got eaten alive a couple weeks ago. Would prefer they have Deet in them.