Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

Hey there cruisers,

We are compiling the worst cruise packing mistakes we've made so others can learn from our unfortunate -- and sometimes hilarious -- mishaps. If you have any you would like to share, it very well might be published!

We look forward to reading and grimacing along with you :)

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Hey there cruisers,

We are compiling the worst cruise packing mistakes we've made so others can learn from our unfortunate -- and sometimes hilarious -- mishaps. If you have any you would like to share, it very well might be published!

We look forward to reading and grimacing along with you :)

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Short last minute getaway to the Bahamas, and left all underwear sitting on the dresser at home.:eek: Fortunately, we found the one store in Nassau that carried enough to get us through the week-end:o

We went on a 10N Caribbean cruise, while we are at sea on the 1st night as we're unpacking, I realized I forgot to pack any shorts. :o

Fortunately, my brother-in-law was on board, who happens to be my size, and he over packed. So he loaned me a couple of shorts.

I fogot the underware one time also, it was still in the dresser drawer when we got home. Had to make a emergency run to the store. Other one DH got into my Carry On and moved my tennis to even the weight, off to Target and $30 later for cab ride and new tennies, we find my pair in his bag. He doesn't touch my suitcases now.:D

Wendy that must have been awkward walking.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Short last minute getaway to the Bahamas, and left all underwear sitting on the dresser at home.:eek: Fortunately, we found the one store in Nassau that carried enough to get us through the week-end:o

what's wrong with going comando ? ;)

Edited by eightofninekev

My wife took all my long dress pants out of my suitcase so she could fit her make-up bag in it. She figured I would see them hanging off to the side and repack them in another bag. I made it to the ship with 2 nice suit jackets and only cargo shorts to wear with them. Did have my nice dress shoes and socks though.

Now I pack with a set list and nobody messes with my bag.

Packed two pairs of sneakers...thought to myself that I only needed one pair...unfortunately I removed the right shoe from each pair....

Not on a cruise, but stepped out of my car for a lunch meeting to close a big business deal when I saw that I had put on one brown and one black shoe that morning. Fortunately, I had a pair of black wing tip golf shoes in the trunk (and a spike wrench). Took out all the spikes, tore off the shoelace covers, and wore those in to the meeting.:o

I did that on our first cruise too and it was a 14 day B2B! Left all our socks and underwear in packing cubes in the dresser because I forgot them last minute. The funny thing was it was cheaper to get my mum to priority airmail them out to the next destination (as we had 2 sea days at the start) than to buy new for 14 days. But when we got there the package had been opened by customs/security and I'm sure they were a bit confused about why someone was mailing a load of panties and boxers marked urgent but I got them in the end!

Edited by Cruise_Christy

I remember my very first "cruise" in 2005 I packed an evening gown and matching shoes for every night...with enough clothes for many other women..

Only went to one "captain dinner" and never wore but one gown.

Now it is simple .. one suitcase too.

First cruise we took and we were headed to Alaska. Flew in the day of the cruise :eek: (didn't know any better) and we were in a hurry to get to the airport at 4:30 a.m. and left one of the four suitcases at home. We realized that one suitcase was missing when we got to the airport but too far to turn back. We just hoped the formal clothes were not in the suitcase.

Anyway, the missing clothes were the warm shirts and jeans we needed I bought a pair of jeans for me in Alaska and my DH wore an extra pair from his brother who was traveling with us.

On another cruise to the Caribbean, after the cruise at the FLL port, we gathered all of our luggage or so we thought and grabbed a cab to the airport. Got to the airport and found that one of our suitcases was not loaded into the cab so back to the port to retrieve the lost suitcase and we found it in the terminal.

We have a problem with luggage, to say the least.

I forgot ALL of my shoes other than the pair on my feet :eek:

First of all, since I am a woman, this was a major problem! Secondly, since we live in the midwest and usually cruise during the fall or winter, I was wearing leather ankle boots.

Fortunately, we always fly down a day early so I had time to shop locally for a couple pair of sandals. I'm much more careful to double check my list these days. NEVER assume some things just can't be forgotten. Lesson learned.

Our first cruise and 10 year wedding anniversary was on the Freedom in 2007. We decided to renew our vows, I purchased a new wedding gown and Frank rented a tux that was just beautiful and matched my gown. As I was leaving the spa on our first sea day, after a very relaxing massage, Frank meets me at the entrance to the spa and asks "DID YOU PACK MY TUX?" to which I responded, "no, I carried a 20 pound wedding dress all over the airport, I thought YOU packed your tuxedo?" He had not, fortunately, he DID pack the shoes and shirt so he was able to rent a tuxedo on the ship.

He still looked very handsome but we ended up paying for two rentals. Since then, he purchased his own tuxedo and has only left the shirt at home once. :D