Nile Queen

authorsusieq

The CDC recommends typhoid and Hepatitis A vaccines for Egypt. They are very expensive so don't want to do if overkill for 2 healthy seniors. Viking has not heard of anyone asking about this. Would love input from cruisers who have traveled down the Nile or are planning to this fall.

When I did my Nile cruise back in 2009, my physician (who is also certified in travel medicine) recommended both of those. At the time I was in my late 50s. I got them both. For me, I would rather pay and have the potential protection than roll the dice and not get them. Since you do not need proof of immunization to enter Egypt, it is totally up to your discretion.

The CDC recommends typhoid and Hepatitis A vaccines for Egypt. They are very expensive so don't want to do if overkill for 2 healthy seniors. Viking has not heard of anyone asking about this. Would love input from cruisers who have traveled down the Nile or are planning to this fall.

They can't be that expensive at your local health center.

The best source for this question is a travel clinic or your doctor.

That said, I decided to get the Hep A vaccinations (series of two) when I started traveling in countries that had a fairly high risk for the disease, including a land trip and a Nile cruise in Egypt. Immunity is supposed to last up to 25 years. I opted not to get the typhoid vac since I understand the risk is not as great and transmission is via the water, which I never drink or even brush teeth in (I only drink bottled water when traveling outside the U.S.).

While your risk on a Viking ship for Hep A may not be very great, I'd get the vaccine for peace of mind. That's just me. Ask your doc.

Ask at your medical centre, where your records are kept. They will have the most up to date government advice, plus know what medications you're taking. We were advised to have two kinds of injections, plus records were checked for tetanus updates. This will be different for each person, depending on your state of health.

"Recommends" vs "Requires".

CDC recommends Hep A & Typhoid for travel to Mexico. And Aruba. And Cayman Islands. And probably other places where many people travel.

As to whether you need them, your doctor is the one to best guide you in this.