Little Skippers OMG

DAN 60

I actually really don't think so - they are only offering it on peak season cruises which is something they have done before just not a club where you can actually leave the children for a couple of hours (you used to have to stay with them).

Fred Olsen Cruises do only appeal to a certain market and I really don't think it will appeal to the "average family" who sail on the bigger ships who usually use Kids Clubs. I think it is more for the passengers who usually use Fred Olsen and may want to take their grandchildren with them for example or people like myself (who's children are far too old for kids clubs and never did use them!) but like the small ship experience and cruising for what cruising is and who don't actually want to go on the big ships with climbing walls, ice rinks etc etc

When we were on the Balmoral for 2 weeks last August, there were some families with children onboard who absolutely loved the ship and loved it for what it was and to be able to show their children a cruise holiday without all the "tacky" extras thrown in - the children were lovely, well behaved and sat with their parents enjoying their meals, the entertainment etc.

Why deny families this experience? If other passengers are aware that families may be onboard & don't wish to see it then book a cruise out of peak school holiday time!

I don't know why people are so surprised. Many years ago when Fred. Olsen had only one cruise ship (Black Prince) they had a very similar thing for school holidays and Christmas. Mind you, that ship had some facilities that the current ones do not have nowadays eg and indoor swimming pool, a facility for swimming in the sea from the aft of the vessel. This was popular with the youngsters and not only the youngsters!!

Why, oh why, do people who hate children so much and who mostly are in the position of being able to travel at any time of the year, decide to take a cruise in August when schools are on holiday? And when grandparents like ourselves are left in charge by working parents.

We have taken our grandchildren on Fred cruises for nine years since the younger was 3 years old. There have always been children's "arrangements" with trained children's hosts (not nursery nurses, they were usually proper junior school teachers in their summer holidays). They played table tennis in the dedicated room (on the Black Watch) and did their craft work, board games, quizzes, etc in the open air area just outside that room. They had an hour a day in the pool reserved for them, and they all sat together for the evening shows. Their pizza and cake baking took place in the self-service restaurant between lunch and afternoon tea when it was closed to others.

On our last cruise there were about 15-20 children aged from 3 to 14 years, who all mixed together really well and entertained eachother. I can remember one of my granddaughters in the pool every day for half an hour, giving swimming lessons to a 6-year-old boy. Most of the children were accompanied by grandparents (rather than parents), probably because the likes of Thomson and P&O were not their favourite cruise line. Because of this, I found that most children were there as only children, at most they had one sibling or cousin with them - no large families! We have always sat at a table for four in the restaurants, so as not to inflict our children on other table guests. However, because we choose cruises with as many sea days as possible, we sometimes found our girls either chatting in the lounge with older ladies, or even playing cards with them. Our elder girl has always been a demon at cribbage and has been much in demand to set up a game on quiet afternoons. Her younger sister was more than happy to take her dance shoes and join the ballroom classes.

So please don't knock the children. Fred have not introduced anything that wasn't there before. And it was obviously working so well that most of the moaning oldies hadn't noticed. For those of you who don't want to mix with children and consider that freedom to travel for eleven months of the year isn't sufficient, perhaps if you insist in holidaying during August you could choose a more selective cruise line. I can recommend Noble Caledonian or SilverSea - both lines we enjoy when on our own, but where we would be unwilling to pay for grandchildren.

Edited by cottonbuddas

I don't know why people are so surprised. Many years ago when Fred. Olsen had only one cruise ship (Black Prince) they had a very similar thing for school holidays and Christmas. Mind you, that ship had some facilities that the current ones do not have nowadays eg and indoor swimming pool, a facility for swimming in the sea from the aft of the vessel. This was popular with the youngsters and not only the youngsters!!

loved Black Prince.last time we were on her( 2008) they advertised kids club but there was only 1 kid on board as he was only 10 months don't think it was used.

Why, oh why, do people who hate children so much and who mostly are in the position of being able to travel at any time of the year, decide to take a cruise in August when schools are on holiday? And when grandparents like ourselves are left in charge by working parents.

We have taken our grandchildren on Fred cruises for nine years since the younger was 3 years old. There have always been children's "arrangements" with trained children's hosts (not nursery nurses, they were usually proper junior school teachers in their summer holidays). They played table tennis in the dedicated room (on the Black Watch) and did their craft work, board games, quizzes, etc in the open air area just outside that room. They had an hour a day in the pool reserved for them, and they all sat together for the evening shows. Their pizza and cake baking took place in the self-service restaurant between lunch and afternoon tea when it was closed to others.

On our last cruise there were about 15-20 children aged from 3 to 14 years, who all mixed together really well and entertained eachother. I can remember one of my granddaughters in the pool every day for half an hour, giving swimming lessons to a 6-year-old boy. Most of the children were accompanied by grandparents (rather than parents), probably because the likes of Thomson and P&O were not their favourite cruise line. Because of this, I found that most children were there as only children, at most they had one sibling or cousin with them - no large families! We have always sat at a table for four in the restaurants, so as not to inflict our children on other table guests. However, because we choose cruises with as many sea days as possible, we sometimes found our girls either chatting in the lounge with older ladies, or even playing cards with them. Our elder girl has always been a demon at cribbage and has been much in demand to set up a game on quiet afternoons. Her younger sister was more than happy to take her dance shoes and join the ballroom classes.

So please don't knock the children. Fred have not introduced anything that wasn't there before. And it was obviously working so well that most of the moaning oldies hadn't noticed. For those of you who don't want to mix with children and consider that freedom to travel for eleven months of the year isn't sufficient, perhaps if you insist in holidaying during August you could choose a more selective cruise line. I can recommend Noble Caledonian or SilverSea - both lines we enjoy when on our own, but where we would be unwilling to pay for grandchildren.

Absolutely agree with you! I have also seen adults on Fred Olsen cruises obviously enjoying seeing the younger people onboard too - slightly different but I work in a Nursing Home & you should see the delight on some of our resident's faces when the younger visitors arrive. Young people are not all bad!

Oh how I enjoyed reading this. We too are grandparents who look after our grandson during the school holidays. My grandson has been on two cruises with me (my cruise buddy) and loves visiting different countries. They were Thomson cruises and he enjoyed the fantastically run Kids Club.

This summer we chose a Fred Olsen fiord cruise on Balmoral leaving from Newcastle. Then we realised it was still school holidays and mum had to work. Despite there being no children's facilities, and two sea days, we decided to take our grandson as otherwise we would not be able to go. Plus what a wonderful opportunity for him to learn first hand about another country.

We were prepared to entertain him, or him us! But how delighted I was last week to be informed that Little Skippers was to be available on our cruise. He may not even want to go but that will be his choice. But just the opportunity to have an hour or two a day to meet and mix with children of similar age, rather than having to put up with Gran and Grandad all day, I think is very important. As you mention, many of the children may be sole children with no sibling to 'play' with. As it is, my grandson is more likely to strike up a conversation with an adult rather than another child.

Regarding your grandaughter teaching another child to swim, it reminded me of our son (at 14 years old) teaching a 5 year old boy to play pool each day on holiday in Kefalonia. I realised then he was a natural teacher and he is now a very successful PE teacher and sports coach.

As long as Fred makes it clear which cruises are being promoted as 'child friendly' by way of discounts or additional services I really don't have a problem with this sort of thing.

Sometimes you can't just avoid taking a cruise during school holidays if you want a particular itinerary and personally I've never had a problem with the limited number of children on board at those times as frankly there are many better cruise options out there for families with young children.

I would however be a lot less than happy if a cruise I was booked on was unexpectedly targeted with promotions aimed at encouraging children after we had booked it...

Four years ago my eldest son came on his first cruise, and only cruise so far, on Black Watch to the North Cape. There were around 15 children on the cruise and he reluctantly joined in at first. A couple of days in he was joining in with everything, he especially loved being a jockey in the dolphin racing! The youth worker and primary school teacher who ran the club were excellent.

Have to admit that we try to avoid going anywhere during school holidays mainly because it can get very busy and sometimes a little costly too. Fortunately, with neither of us working we can take advantage of low-season offers and no longer have to travel at Easter, summer or Christmas and especially at Chinese New Year !

We very rarely go very far in school holidays as everywhere is overpriced and too busy. We also avoid the large ships that have facilities that appeal to children.

We have been on a couple of FO cruises with children on board, but they were very well behaved.

As long as Fred makes it clear which cruises are being promoted as 'child friendly' by way of discounts or additional services I really don't have a problem with this sort of thing.

Sometimes you can't just avoid taking a cruise during school holidays if you want a particular itinerary and personally I've never had a problem with the limited number of children on board at those times as frankly there are many better cruise options out there for families with young children.

I would however be a lot less than happy if a cruise I was booked on was unexpectedly targeted with promotions aimed at encouraging children after we had booked it...

Fred Olsen offer a 70% reduction to any 3rd or 4th passenger sharing a cabin, regardless of age. I have been on a few mini cruises with 2 friends / family (over 18!) and we have just shared the cost between the 3 of us - it works out at quite a bargain. There is no additional child reduction but a 70% reduction is a great incentive for families (so much so, you would think more would sail with Fred Olsen because of it - it's certainly the best reduction we have come across for more than 2 sharing!)

There are Adult Only cruises and Fred Olsen also do longer cruises in the school holidays that I doubt families would sail on so in all fairness, there actually aren't a huge number of cruises this or next year that would appeal to families.

• 4 weeks later...

In answer to the question; 'Why do people book in the school holidays?'

It's because some of them work in schools.

I'll admit my heart sank when I saw small children on last week's cruise, Fred is renowned for being popular with older people so we didn't think there would be many. However, the children we encountered were well behaved and only rarely crying. They did not run around being a nuisance and enjoyed the club provided.

They did attend the evening entertainment which I was surprised at, as it was aimed at adults, and past bedtime for little ones, but they weren't a nuisance.

I'd love to cruise in school time, but my boss wouldn't appreciate that.

In answer to the question; 'Why do people book in the school holidays?'

It's because some of them work in schools.

I'll admit my heart sank when I saw small children on last week's cruise, Fred is renowned for being popular with older people so we didn't think there would be many. However, the children we encountered were well behaved and only rarely crying. They did not run around being a nuisance and enjoyed the club provided.

They did attend the evening entertainment which I was surprised at, as it was aimed at adults, and past bedtime for little ones, but they weren't a nuisance.

I'd love to cruise in school time, but my boss wouldn't appreciate that.

Which ship was this on, please?