Boudicca current location

tring

Have been looking at Fred's locator and it suggests Boudicca docked in Sydney NS yesterday (as scheduled), but is still there now. She should have sailed for Corner Brook last night and be there by now.

I tried another locator, which indicates that Boudicca is still tied up in Sydney and that the info was received a couple of minutes ago.

Does anyone know what may have happened?

Edited by tring

I do not do Face Book. Interesting though, at least if the ship has not broken down it should be back in Liverpool for next Monday when we join it.

There are weather warnings for that area on a Government of Canada Website for winds between 20-33 knots and gusts up to 35 knots. That does appear to be for today and easing this evening though, yet Boudicca should have left last night for Corner Brook, where the weather forecast looks pretty good today.

I also see now that the AIS locator is saying that the future destination for Bodicca is Belfast, (so missing Corner Brook and Red Bay from the original cruise schedule).

I always felt that going through the Straight of Belle Isle, (which is between the NW part of Newfoundland and the Labrador mainland), at this time of year was a little optimistic because of sea ice conditions. I mentioned my scepticism of that planned cruise to my brother who lives in Newfoundland last year and he fell about laughing, saying he had stood on that coast at that time of year and watched the icebergs float past.

An interesting clip from You tube showing the Straight of Belle Isle on 24th May 2014:-

Very pretty I thought.

Hi, yes the gist of the Facebook info, is that they have missed ports of call and are setting off back to Belfast when winds allow.

Moaning about lost ports of call, and wanting compo. My thoughts are they would be the first to complain about rough seas and possible injury.

People should accept that when your dealing with the force of nature anything can happen.

People should research and accept the risks.

Although I was miffed we lost a port of call on our recent Amazon cruise.😄

We were on the Greenland cruise you were on, we got into all the ports didn't we, but I recall thinking that would be a risk.

Hi, yes the gist of the Facebook info, is that they have missed ports of call and are setting off back to Belfast when winds allow.

Moaning about lost ports of call, and wanting compo. My thoughts are they would be the first to complain about rough seas and possible injury.

People should accept that when your dealing with the force of nature anything can happen.

People should research and accept the risks.

Although I was miffed we lost a port of call on our recent Amazon cruise.

We were on the Greenland cruise you were on, we got into all the ports didn't we, but I recall thinking that would be a risk.

I see what you are saying, but I think there is a vast difference between weather conditions that cannot be predicted and cruise itineraries drawn up with no reference to what conditions are likely to be. Yes, Greenland is always a risk regards docking, but that cruise was in early July, not May.

I see Boudicca is now underway and the wind warnings have not been removed. I also wonder what sort of vessels that warning was for, as I know we have been at sea in winds much nearer to 90 knots and, as I said the weather is good in Corner Brook today and it was also good in Sydney yesterday.

So......... the question remains, have Fred pulled the itinerary because of winds, or is it more to do with the fact that the Straight of Belle Isle could not realistically be expected to have been navigable in May.

I remember your posting about the Amazon and I felt very sorry for you then. My thoughts were that one of the missed ports was perhaps bad luck, but the other sounded iffy to begin with. Like my recent posting regards our Ireland cruise next week - it would seem that someone at Fred just dreams up these itineraries without checking to see whether they are realistic.

Edited by tring

Have just seen Boudicca on the webcam of the Liverpool waterfront, all ready for us to saunter over there in a few hours. Lovely starting a cruise with a lie in on the morning of embarkation.

Fred's locator has her in the correct location, but says the next port is Belfast. That was the first port until they changed the order of the itinerary a couple of weeks ago, but we are now going clockwise around Ireland to still reach Dublin for the 4th and 5th of June, which is as the original schedule for Dublin. So presumably Fred has not adjusted the predicted ports on the webcam.

Won't complain about that as long as the Captain knows where he/she is going.

Edited by tring

• 1 month later...
High winds off shore. Read about it on a Fred Olsen Cruise Group on Facebook. There is somebody moaning a bucketful.....it's a closed group so you have to join.

A lot of people complaining about missed ports. Was reported in St Pierre lifeboat / tender woudnt start waited half day for shuttle bus all ten lifeboats had wrong fuel had to be changed May was a wrong move to have A Canada cruise nothing open A Canadian police man laughed and said far to early to do Canada next year it's going in July would we do the cruise again, not a chance

Edited by bossmum1