Which Baltic ports have scenic sailaways not to be missed?

nomadguy

If we are docking in NYNASHAMN, does that mean we will not see the archipelago? Thanks.

Sorry, yes, that's correct.:(

Nynashamn is on the coast, about an hour from Stockholm by rail or road.

Probably your ship is too large or too un-manoeuvrable or doesn't comply in some other way with fitness to navigate the narrow passage thru the archipelago.

JB :)

Sorry, yes, that's correct.:(

Nynashamn is on the coast, about an hour from Stockholm by rail or road.

Probably your ship is too large or too un-manoeuvrable or doesn't comply in some other way with fitness to navigate the narrow passage thru the archipelago.

JB :)

Oh, that's a shame. Thank you.

Stockholm via the archipelago is one of our most treasured cruising experiences. Oslo is pretty too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Sunsetbeachgal (probably more snow than beach today?) As I have no frame of reference for seeing the archipelago I will certainly enjoy the sail into Oslo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We got up at the crack of dawn to watch the sail into Stockholm and it was really worthwhile! Just spectacular. The sail under the Oresund Bridge between Malmo, Sweden and Copenhagen is also lovely (we hit it around sunset -- 10 pm) and actually saw it twice but sunset was amazing.

How long after departure did you see the bridge, because I'm sure that you sailed under the Storebælt bridge instead.

Most ships can't fit in the shallow drogden Strait just next to the airport and the Øresund bridge has a low clearance.

So most cruise ships sails north out of Copenhagen and sails down Storebælt where the big suspension bridge is located almost halfway.

It was pretty far removed from the city both times, so I'm not sure -- they made a big deal out of the bridge being the longest in Europe -- and connecting the two countries -- played the theme from "the Love Boat" -- it was bridge, tunnel under island, then bridge again. We had almost no clearance we were under it and just made it -- shockingly tight.

Also, it was supposed to be a beautiful sail into and out of Oslo. We tried so hard to get the view into and out of Oslo to see the fjord. They upsell many things on the ship (one of my big complaints about the cruise) -- one upsell was a breakfast for Oslo for $65 per person for a good view of the sail into Oslo. I, being a family of 5, thought we'd be up on deck at 9 am for the 10 am arrival but we were too late. We were already in Oslo proper. So, if you do it my way, be up on deck by 8 am or so to watch the sail in. For departure, the ship leaves at 11 pm and the sun sets late so the view of the fjrord and famous fort happens a midnight or later. We also had T-Bahn day passes and could take a ferry round trip to see the fjords but we couldn't manage to catch one.. so, i need to take a fjord cruise -- fjords were not in the cards this trip.

From the description it sounds like the Storebælt Bridge because it has the huge suspension bridge and railroad tunnel east of the island Sprogø and a combined road and railroad bridge on the western side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link

The Øresund bridge would have been reached just outside Copenhagen, I guess max 1 hours of sailing.

Most ships use the western located Drogden strait where both the road and railroad crosses under in a tunnel.

The shipping lane is only 8 meters deep so the big cruise ships can´t take the direct route to the baltic sea so they sails north and west of Sjælland (zealand).

The cable stayed bridge is located east of the Island Peberholm and and most ships using this shipping lane if heading to or from the port in Malmö,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge

Yeah, I think it's like the game of telephone and is probably on me... I wasn't expecting the bridge, was searching on google, coupled with the bits I heard and mismatched where we were... I think those actually navigating in the Baltic with that skill set probably knew. I scrapbook so I'm very happy to have the correct info! It really was beautiful.

You didn't mention Amsterdam but for others reading, it has a great sailaway. You can see how some of The Netherlands truly is below sea level then about an hour after sailaway, you pass through the locks that separate Amsterdam from the North Sea. The Celebrity Silhouette seemed to just squeeze into the locks.

There were also nine river cruise boats docked there at the same time that we left. You get a preview of what could be my next cruise.

Ditto on Stockholm, provided you are sailing through the archipelago.

However, depending on your interests, you might also want to include St. Petersburg. On the sailout, you go by Kronstadt Naval Base. I wouldn't call it "scenic", nor is it entirely in great shape, but has important historical significance (i.e. it played a crucial role in defending St. Petersburg during WWII and was the site of the Kronstadt Rebellion). It's also still a functioning naval base and people live there year round.

Is that the one with two or three decrepit lighthouses, and a triangular fort type base? I found that fascinating, too, although I had no idea what it was when we passed it. When I got home I googled it.

I remember it wasn't right outside St. Petersburg, but it wasn't too terribly far away after we left the port.

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Select "Expected" instead of "In Port" and the dates around your times

I tried with June 11th but your ship was listed for June 13th so I am not sure...

For estimating when your ship will pass a particular object: It's a bit labor intensive, but I occasionally go on marinetraffic dot com to see approximately how long it takes cruise ships to pass a particular point of interest (for me, usually a lighthouse, which I can ask Marine Traffic to display on the map). Of course, it's not always accurate, as not all cruise ships travel at the same speed, especially if it looks like they will get into their berths too early, or they need to back in, or something like that. You can also look at the scale at bottom left corner to estimate how close to a particular object the ship went. So if you find a ship scheduled to be in Stockholm (for example) tomorrow, ask Marine Traffic for that ship, and then click on the "Past Track" button to get a track of where it went. Then put your cursor right up to one of the track marks (triangles) to get a time. Then look at a track mark close to when the ship reached the dock and compare the two. The times may be in UTC rather than local time, but you can at least get an idea of how much time elapsed for that particular ship's entry into port.

I know you're not going here, but you got me thinking: Kotor, Montengegro (mountains turn red at sailaway), Valletta, Malta (fortifications turn golden at sail in) and Lisbon (lots to see, and lovely city in general) have been my favorite sail in/out ports so far. Stockholm and Quebec City were pretty nice, too.

Edited by roothy123