Flight on Norwegian Air Shuttle question

We are getting off our ship in Oslo and flying to Stockholm. Our flight is on Norwegian Air Shuttle at 8:30 am on a Thursday. We are getting off the ship early as it is returning to Southampton, so we will be the only ones getting off the morning. I am aware of the Flytoget, but I feel more comfortable with a taxi despite the extra time and expense. How early must one get to the airport for this type of flight - 2 hours ahead of the flight? It is international, but seems more like a shuttle. Can any Norwegian or Swedish residents help? Also, at that time of day (maybe leaving at 5:30 am), is an hour sufficient to get to the airport in a taxi? Thank you!

Oh sorry, I read it as you were going to Arlanda airport from the ship.

Flights within Europe is just like taking a flight from Denver to Chicago so 2 hours before departure should be more than enough.

The most time consuming part is to check in your luggage but else security should be a breeze.

I have never been to Oslo by air so I don't really know how busy the check in counters are so hopefully a local will add that info.

But judging from Copenhagen that is a similar sized airport I would say that 1,5 hour before departure should do it.

Again if Copenhagen is anything to go by you will need a maximum of 15-20 minutes for check in and if its very busy then probably the same in security.

Gardermoen is a very compact airport so the walking distances are not to long.

Depending on traffic then a taxi trip would end up in 40-50 minutes but so would the transport to the central station and Flytoget end up in any way.

And again sorry that I misunderstood your post. :rolleyes:

Most locals would probably aim for around 1-1½ hours for a flight to Stockholm. It's a regular flight, and although it's not domestic, flights within Scandinavia aren't too much different from domestic flights. Honestly, the biggest difference is access to Duty Free! Since you're not familiar with the airport, aiming to arrive 1½-2 hours before the flight should give you a comfortable amount of time.

I wouldn't expect it to be terribly busy on a Thursday morning, since it's not as popular a day for commuting flights. There are a ton of electronic check-in kiosks, so if there happens to be a queue, walk a bit further and you're likely to find a free machine. (This is more likely coming from the train, since most people just stop in front of the first kiosks they come to.)

Most of the business traffic won't have luggage to check, so I wouldn't expect long queues at bag drop. I think Norwegian uses the self-service bag drop system (where you have to tag and scan your own bag) for flights within Scandinavia, but I'm not 100% certain.

As for Norwegian itself it's pretty much like any other airline for flights within Europe. It's technically a low-cost carrier, so all snacks and drinks are purchase only (i.e. no free coffee or tea offered by SAS), but most of the planes are fairly new and many are equipped with free WiFi.

Side note - If you're planning to take the train in from the Stockholm airport, the regular tickets cost a fortune, so it's worth looking at the advance-purchase fares and special deals: https://www.arlandaexpress.com/fares.aspx

We are getting off our ship in Oslo and flying to Stockholm. Our flight is on Norwegian Air Shuttle at 8:30 am on a Thursday. We are getting off the ship early as it is returning to Southampton, so we will be the only ones getting off the morning. I am aware of the Flytoget, but I feel more comfortable with a taxi despite the extra time and expense. How early must one get to the airport for this type of flight - 2 hours ahead of the flight? It is international, but seems more like a shuttle. Can any Norwegian or Swedish residents help? Also, at that time of day (maybe leaving at 5:30 am), is an hour sufficient to get to the airport in a taxi? Thank you!

Is the ship staying in port during the night or how early does it arrive in Oslo?

If you are sure that you can leave the ship at 5.30 there shall be no problem to get to your flight in time.

Please be aware of luggage allowance. Tickets are sold without check-in luggage and if with luggage a weight limit of 20 kg or 44 lbs. I did have serious problems getting below 20 kg at my last Norwegian flight.

http://Http://mogenshallas.com cruise reviews

from my iPad using Forums

Edited by hallasm
Spelling

The ship arrives at 4 pm the day before and stays there overnight. We have special permission to get off in Oslo and they tell me the gangway will be left up throughout the night.

Is the ship staying in port during the night or how early does it arrive in Oslo?

If you are sure that you can leave the ship at 5.30 there shall be no problem to get to your flight in time.

Wow - I did not know that. So do you mean you can check a bag up to 44 lbs and then what happens if you are over that - can you pay more or are you barred from taking the suitcase? Also, what about carryon bags? Thank you!

Please be aware of luggage allowance. Tickets are sold without check-in luggage and if with luggage a weight limit of 20 kg or 44 lbs. I did have serious problems getting below 20 kg at my last Norwegian flight.

http://Http://mogenshallas.com cruise reviews

from my iPad using Forums

Wow - I did not know that. So do you mean you can check a bag up to 44 lbs and then what happens if you are over that - can you pay more or are you barred from taking the suitcase? Also, what about carryon bags? Thank you!

The price does vary by destination - highly recommended to book any excessive weight or additional bags in advance at their web up to 6 hours before departure - the prices at check-in are higher.

Last price I have seen is 65NOK a pound for excessive weight at check in.

Norwegian are operation with different 'classes':

LowFare, No check-in bags included - only carry-on

LowFare+ - 1 x 20 kg (44 lbs) + carry-on

Carry on luggage is 10 kg – 55 x 40 x 23 cm for all classes.

Thank you!

The price does vary by destination - highly recommended to book any excessive weight or additional bags in advance at their web up to 6 hours before departure - the prices at check-in are higher.

Last price I have seen is 65NOK a pound for excessive weight at check in.

Norwegian are operation with different 'classes':

LowFare, No check-in bags included - only carry-on

LowFare+ - 1 x 20 kg (44 lbs) + carry-on

Carry on luggage is 10 kg – 55 x 40 x 23 cm for all classes.

• 2 weeks later...

Flytoget! You can pay by swiping your credit card at the platform (platform 13 /14) and then swipe again at ticket barriers at the airport. If you need to buy more tickets with the same credit card there are tickets machines aswell, but swiping the card is the easiest. At the platform you will be met by employes of Flytoget who can help you. Flytoget departs every 10 minutes (excluding saturdays and very early mornigs/nights wich is every 20 minutes)

And last but not least, Flytoget have a travel warrenty included in your ticket, wich means if the train is delayed by 30 minutes or more (basicly never happens) they will pay and rebook your flight to another one as soon as possible.

Thank you = that sounds really good!

Flytoget! You can pay by swiping your credit card at the platform (platform 13 /14) and then swipe again at ticket barriers at the airport. If you need to buy more tickets with the same credit card there are tickets machines aswell, but swiping the card is the easiest. At the platform you will be met by employes of Flytoget who can help you. Flytoget departs every 10 minutes (excluding saturdays and very early mornigs/nights wich is every 20 minutes)

And last but not least, Flytoget have a travel warrenty included in your ticket, wich means if the train is delayed by 30 minutes or more (basicly never happens) they will pay and rebook your flight to another one as soon as possible.