Walk in St Petersburg after tour?

Thank you for such thorough description of the folklore show. I'm concerned about being too tired after a full day tour--we are 60 and 70 in ages. I'm quite sure we would fall asleep in the ballet even if it's wonderful. Did you see the Faberge museum? Considering 2 day tours which include it or St. Isaac's Church and Yusovov Palace.

You've mentioned probably the only 3 significant sights we didn't visit in our 2 days.

We're in our late sixties, & folk suggested adding the evening might be too tiring - it wasn't, & we were so glad we didn't follow their advice. Even though we didn't have a sea day before or after St P.

No chance of falling asleep in the folklore show ;)

JB :)

Thank you for such thorough description of the folklore show. I'm concerned about being too tired after a full day tour--we are 60 and 70 in ages. I'm quite sure we would fall asleep in the ballet even if it's wonderful. Did you see the Faberge museum? Considering 2 day tours which include it or St. Isaac's Church and Yusovov Palace.

Over the course of two trips to St. Petersburg, we've done all four of the things you mention. Each site has enough appeal to justify its popularity and its inclusion on a tour. Below, I've included some facts/personal opinions. Admittedly, I reveal my biases but I hope I've included enough information to help you, and others, decide.

Ballet: venues range from opulent Romanov-era theater to what some have described as a make-shift, utilitarian room in a high school or the like. Dancing skill shows a similar range. If ballet matters to anyone, be highly selective about which St. Petersburg ballet you attend. The Mariinsky dance company performing in the history Mariinsky I theater is the best combination of ballet and venue. Mariinsky II is modern but offers great sightlines, comfort, and acoustics along with the Mariinsky company.

St Isaacs: This building was the inspiration for the design of the US capital, but one of the least Russian churches you could visit. It was built during the turn from the Russian ways to the European ways in food, architecture, clothing, manners, philosophy, etc. If you've seen Palladio's Villa Rotonda, you'll recognize the source of the design. I love Palladian architecture so I loved our visit, but as an example of Russian architecture, not so much.

Yusopov Palace: If you're visiting this for grandeur, it doesn't rank particularly high. Putting aside the Winter Palace/Hermitage and Peterhof, even the palace housing the Faberge Museum is more opulent. We went for the history of the events that took place in the basement. Our guide began by explaining the standard story in detail. However, she, then, started to point out the flaws in the story and offered the latest interpretation of the events of that night. Fascinating.

Faberge Museum: Stunning palace houses the jewels. Excellent audio guide for the Imperial Eggs and the palace itself.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Do any of the folks who got significant free time during their tours know the name of the company used? As 3 of you have confirmed it, I certainly beIieve you and I am wanting to investigate more. Thank you!

Do any of the folks who got significant free time during their tours know the name of the company used? As 3 of you have confirmed it, I certainly beIieve you and I am wanting to investigate more. Thank you!

This tour is offered by SPB tours:

"

Private Vehicle

Reserve a private driver (without guide) for 3 hours. During this time you can eat at a local restaurant, see parts of the city by twilight, do a bit of personal shopping, and just get a feel of the city during the evening.

This option also available for those making their own ballet arrangements who only need transportation.

Please note the "starting price" per person is from 16 pax! The price chart for smaller groups:

02 pax: $75 USD per person

04 pax: $37.5 USD per person

06 pax: $35 USD per person

08 pax: $25 USD per person

10-12 pax: $20 USD per person

14-16 pax: $15 USD per person

*3 hours is the minimum amount of time vehicles can be hired.

I also understand that you cannot just book this Evening tour by it self. You would have had to be part of their day tour also. Then they drop you off at the ship at 5-6 pm and pick you up for this Private Vehicle " tour" at 7.

I do not know which company our ship used. Why not email the various local operators and ask for a private tour which includes say two hours free time for 'shopping'.

Alla Tours offers the following tour:

Saint Petersburg the Way you Wish. It is a free content program - 3 hour minimum (you can add extra hours) - you can do whatever you want during the free time (shop, walk Nevsky, dine, pop into a pub - whatever). You can contact any of the local operators as I am sure that they all offer something similar to get around the visa issue.

Saint Petersburg the Way you Wish. It is a free content program - 3 hour minimum (you can add extra hours) - you can do whatever you want during the free time (shop, walk Nevsky, dine, pop into a pub - whatever). You can contact any of the local operators as I am sure that they all offer something similar to get around the visa issue.

Bless you! This is just what I am looking for. I'll do a formal structured tour on day 1 and look into this for day 2. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Over the course of two trips to St. Petersburg, we've done all four of the things you mention. Each site has enough appeal to justify its popularity and its inclusion on a tour. Below, I've included some facts/personal opinions. Admittedly, I reveal my biases but I hope I've included enough information to help you, and others, decide.

Ballet: venues range from opulent Romanov-era theater to what some have described as a make-shift, utilitarian room in a high school or the like. Dancing skill shows a similar range. If ballet matters to anyone, be highly selective about which St. Petersburg ballet you attend. The Mariinsky dance company performing in the history Mariinsky I theater is the best combination of ballet and venue. Mariinsky II is modern but offers great sightlines, comfort, and acoustics along with the Mariinsky company.

St Isaacs: This building was the inspiration for the design of the US capital, but one of the least Russian churches you could visit. It was built during the turn from the Russian ways to the European ways in food, architecture, clothing, manners, philosophy, etc. If you've seen Palladio's Villa Rotonda, you'll recognize the source of the design. I love Palladian architecture so I loved our visit, but as an example of Russian architecture, not so much.

Yusopov Palace: If you're visiting this for grandeur, it doesn't rank particularly high. Putting aside the Winter Palace/Hermitage and Peterhof, even the palace housing the Faberge Museum is more opulent. We went for the history of the events that took place in the basement. Our guide began by explaining the standard story in detail. However, she, then, started to point out the flaws in the story and offered the latest interpretation of the events of that night. Fascinating.

Faberge Museum: Stunning palace houses the jewels. Excellent audio guide for the Imperial Eggs and the palace itself.

Thank you!

They call it 'Nevsky Prospekt' and as I thought it is two and a half hours free time, no guided tour. Just a transfer from the ship and a map.
We've booked this opportunity with TJ - it happens after the day portion of their tour. Hopefully, we'll be able to log a geocache in Russia!

What cruise line are you on? Princess has a tour called "Hermitage Museum and St. Petersburg on your own." It states you have approx. 3 hours free time in the afternoon to explore or shop on your own.

We are on a Baltic cruise on the Crown Princess in July. We booked this tour because of the time on your own. I will let everyone know how it worked. We have booked similar tours in Bruge & Gdanski. We like having the transportation provided by Princess it assures you will get back to the ship without problems, but allows you some free time as well.

We are on a Baltic cruise on the Crown Princess in July. We booked this tour because of the time on your own. I will let everyone know how it worked. We have booked similar tours in Bruge & Gdanski. We like having the transportation provided by Princess it assures you will get back to the ship without problems, but allows you some free time as well.

Interesting. NCL isn't offering that. It seems like the "on your own" tour is usually an add on for those on both a day tour and an evening program.

I'll ask some tour companies about it and let you know what I find out.

I did the "Hermitage and Saint Petersburg on your own" tour through Princess earlier this month. It worked exactly as advertised: a few hours in the Hermitage, after which we drove to a store just off of Nevsky Prospect, then given a street map and told to be back at the meeting point by a certain time. I don't know how far other people went, but I know that hubby and I went a good few kilometres down Nevsky Prospect and along one of the canals on our own. We had roughly 3 hours.

Word of advice: make sure your street map has the street names in Cyrillic on it. While it's good to have it in the Latin alphabet for pronunciation, it's also good to have it in Cyrilic to so you can match the names on the streets to what you have on the map. Failing that, if you find yourself lost, you'll likely find someone English speaking in a larger souvenir shop (there are a few along the Prospect).

I am interested in a Princess 21-day cruise for April 2018 that starts in FLL and ends in St. Petersburg. The ship will arrive SP on day 21 at 6:30 a.m. with an overnight in SP. Then disembark the next day at 6:30 a.m. On day 21, I plan to take a Princess tour or a tour with SPB Tour. From CC posts, I learned that the tour companies will take care of the visa for me for the day of the tour. The next day, day of disembarkation, I will go to the airport directly from the cruise ship. Now my question is, do I need to get a visa for leaving the ship to go to the airport? Thank you for any comments/assistance.

I am interested in a Princess 21-day cruise for April 2018 that starts in FLL and ends in St. Petersburg. The ship will arrive SP on day 21 at 6:30 a.m. with an overnight in SP. Then disembark the next day at 6:30 a.m. On day 21, I plan to take a Princess tour or a tour with SPB Tour. From CC posts, I learned that the tour companies will take care of the visa for me for the day of the tour. The next day, day of disembarkation, I will go to the airport directly from the cruise ship. Now my question is, do I need to get a visa for leaving the ship to go to the airport? Thank you for any comments/assistance.

I would just book a Princess transfer to the airport and that will take care of the visa.

I would just book a Princess transfer to the airport and that will take care of the visa.

I don't think I understand - please explain how it works.

To board an airplane in SPb you would need to go through passport control, which includes verification of your visa compliance. Under the visa-free rule, you must come and leave by a cruise ship, so I don't think you will be in compliance.

Cruise companies cannot "take care" of your visa - all they can do is ensure that your less-than-72-hour stay in SPb falls under the visa-free rule.

They might be able to apply for a Russian tourist/transit visa to your local consulate on your behalf (and I understand river cruise companies sometimes do), but I do not see any benefit to that arrangement (you would still need to provide all the information required and show up in person for fingerprinting - so why not apply directly?)

I may be missing something or didn't quite understand the arrangement you propose.

I don't think I understand - please explain how it works.

To board an airplane in SPb you would need to go through passport control, which includes verification of your visa compliance. Under the visa-free rule, you must come and leave by a cruise ship, so I don't think you will be in compliance.

Cruise companies cannot "take care" of your visa - all they can do is ensure that your less-than-72-hour stay in SPb falls under the visa-free rule.

They might be able to apply for a Russian tourist/transit visa to your local consulate on your behalf (and I understand river cruise companies sometimes do), but I do not see any benefit to that arrangement (you would still need to provide all the information required and show up in person for fingerprinting - so why not apply directly?)

I may be missing something or didn't quite understand the arrangement you propose.

Good heavens! Sounds like I am the one who doesn't understand how it works!

I wonder why the cruise line is making the cruise end in St Petersburg if it makes things so complicated?

It's only complicated if you're not Russian. :D

When I was on, I happened to pass by where the muster was for those who embarked in Saint Petersburg. I heard Russian being spoken by a lot of those who came out. I imagine the Saint Petersburg stop helps Princess dip a toe in the Russian market.

Yes, since you will be departing by air and not cruise ship, you will definitely need a Russian visa.

Good heavens! Sounds like I am the one who doesn't understand how it works!

I wonder why the cruise line is making the cruise end in St Petersburg if it makes things so complicated?

Its really not that complicated. By embarking/disembarking in Russia, it is a good opportunity for Russians to take a cruise. As for non-Russians....it is a great opportunity for those who want to spend some land time in Russia pre or post cruise. But these folks will have to obtain a private Russian Visa which must be done in advance of their trip. And if you think Russian Visa rules are complicated, just ask those who need to obtain a US Visa about complications :).

Hank

I suspect some sub-set of cruisers look at this itinerary as a great opportunity to visit Moscow for longer than the grueling one-day visit available only to people on a three-day port call to St Petersburg.

If you really want to take advantage of an independent visa, maximize your time in that part of the world by adding a river cruise between St. Petersburg and Moscow to see incomparable Kizhi Island, several Golden Ring cities, and several days in Moscow without changing accommodations. That will turn the hassle of applying for a visa into a winning situation!

I have never taken Alla tours, so I don't really know, but I think this is a program that has a driver drive you around in the evening. SPB has a similar tour called called Private Vehicle in the evening. The driver drops you off in a restaurant or wherever you want to go. However, the driver is "baby sitting" you at all times. You cannot just wander off by yourself.

If you do wander off by yourself, your tour guide, driver, and tour company could be in trouble.

Thank you all for your responses to my Russia visa question. A few years ago, I did a 18-day Northern Europe land tour which included 6 days in Russia (SPB and Moscow), so I already visited the places that I want to see.

If we need to get a visa just for going to the airport, then maybe we will just do the 25-day cruise, which continues to 2 more ports and disembark in Copenhagen.

Thank you all for your responses to my Russia visa question. A few years ago, I did a 18-day Northern Europe land tour which included 6 days in Russia (SPB and Moscow), so I already visited the places that I want to see.

If we need to get a visa just for going to the airport, then maybe we will just do the 25-day cruise, which continues to 2 more ports and disembark in Copenhagen.

Ah, that is an excellent idea - it will save you the hassle (and cost) of having to apply for a Russian visa. Adding 2 days to your cruise may be about the same cost as the visa. :)

Interesting post! Always wondering if things have changed. Even the last time we were there, we couldn't walk around alone ....

Just got back from a trip to St. Petersburg. There is very little to see around the port but I don't really think it's the best idea to walk around alone. One of the passengers on our ship, the Breakaway was robbed while on tour visiting the Church of the Spilled Blood. This was not a pick pocket but a direct robbery so I would think twice before walking around Russia.