Messaging app to communicate back home using wi-fi

cruising7

OK so first please just reply if you have advice....no rude comments about "just unplugging" :p

For a variety of reasons a few family members need to communicate with people at home briefly once a day with something instant....not email. We don't mind don't paying....just trying to determine the best messaging or talking app that won't use up all the Internet package that we purchase. Can anyone make a suggestion based off personal experience?

We are on NCL if it makes a difference....thanks! Sailing Saturday and want to figure this out so everyone knows what they can do and when and not be trying to figure it out on board.

Check out What's App. Yes, 2 p's. We have used it around the world, but you do need wifi. From Starbucks or McDonalds, etc Text messages and phone calls.

If you have an iPhone and connected to Wi-Fi, iMessage can let you send text, picture and video without using your data or text messaging plan.

iMessage on the iPhone will enable WiFi texting only to receivers that have an iPhone or other Apple product. Texts sent to those on another platform get sent as regular text (SMS).

iPhone people can also make audio and video calls using FaceTime. Same limitation, both parties must use Apple products.

Facebook has text, audio, and video messaging over WiFi.

There's Skype for cross platforms.

Neal

IPhone Imessage or Whats App. Both use wifi either on the ship or off. You can txt someone instantly. If you use your iPhone; Imessage works with other apple products, either a phone, ipod touch, ipad, or imac. Whats app will work with anyone who has the app installed on their phone or computer

iMessage on the iPhone will enable WiFi texting only to receivers that have an iPhone or other Apple product. Texts sent to those on another platform get sent as regular text (SMS).

iPhone people can also make audio and video calls using FaceTime. Same limitation, both parties must use Apple products.

Facebook has text, audio, and video messaging over WiFi.

There's Skype for cross platforms.

Neal

Do know that quite a few cruise lines throttle streaming - including Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions. It needs to work for android phones so we will try What's App!

I've read Skype and Facebook have been blocked/throttled by some crusielines. We have a wifi plan on ship of 250 minutes/ 1 gb but I have no idea how far that will go (1 gb could go,fast) so hoping to play around and see if I can figure that out how to make that last.

Thanks for the suggestions. It needs to work for android phones so we will try What's App!

I've read Skype and Facebook have been blocked/throttled by some crusielines. We have a wifi plan on ship of 250 minutes/ 1 gb but I have no idea how far that will go (1 gb could go,fast) so hoping to play around and see if I can figure that out how to make that last.

I don't know about video demand on data (e.g., Face Time, which, along with Skype, is throttled/blocked by quite a few cruise lines), but (according to AT&T) wifi calling generally uses about 1 MB/minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use whatsapp on an android mobile all the time to keep in touch with the kids. I buy 2x100 minute wifi packages and it works quickly and well even when on the South China Sea! I send photos that way too so the kids can see what we're up to. I'd highly recommend it. Just make sure the people you are contacting load it on their phones too.

I use whatsapp on an android mobile all the time to keep in touch with the kids. I buy 2x100 minute wifi packages and it works quickly and well even when on the South China Sea! I send photos that way too so the kids can see what we're up to. I'd highly recommend it. Just make sure the people you are contacting load it on their phones too.

And test before you leave.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

The app we've used for years is Line which works on iPhone, Blackberry, Windows and Android phones

https://line.me/en/

We have used it in Europe, Japan, Canada, and the U.S. without any issues. It doesn't cost anything as you use it with a wi-fi connection, which we do in port. It's a great way to stay in touch with folks at home and other places in the world, and not have to incur any extra roaming fees or using up your data allowance.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)