Warnemunde to Schwerin to Rostock

I will be making a port of call in Warnemunde on a weekday and would like to visit Schwerin and Rostock by train with a party of 3. This is what I'm thinking...

Buy a single ticket from Warnemunde to Rostock before 9am.

Buy a Lander ticket from Rostock to Schwerin for 9:07 train.

Take return train at 13:53 to Rostock. Take the tram into town using the single ticket from that morning.

Use Lander ticket to return to Warnemunde.

Would that work or is there a better way?

Is it better to get off at Schwerin Hbf or Mitte? Looking for shortest but most interesting walk to castle.

Thanks!

I will be making a port of call in Warnemunde on a weekday and would like to visit Schwerin and Rostock by train with a party of 3. This is what I'm thinking...

Buy a single ticket from Warnemunde to Rostock before 9am.

Buy a Lander ticket from Rostock to Schwerin for 9:07 train.

Take return train at 13:53 to Rostock. Take the tram into town using the single ticket from that morning.

Use Lander ticket to return to Warnemunde.

Would that work or is there a better way?

Is it better to get off at Schwerin Hbf or Mitte? Looking for shortest but most interesting walk to castle.

Thanks!

Hi,

The single ticket to Rostock and Lander ticket to Schwerin is OK.

However, the single ticket which you buy in the morning is only valid for 2 hrs so you will need single tickets for the tram both ways between Rostock main train station and the town centre. NB there is no such thing as a return ticket, you need two singles. The Local Transport Day Ticket is only economical if you make more than 3 journeys in one day and anyway is not valid before 9am.

The Lander ticket is valid for your return from Rostock main station to Warnemünde.

The better station to get off in Schwerin is Hbf. Here is my answer to the same question posted a couple of weeks ago.

Quote :- In Schwerin the choice is yours. The distance to walk is pretty much the same but the Hbf is a modern station with lifts, a cafe and a pleasant walk beside a small lake to the centre of town viewing some beautiful buildings across the lake. The Hbf is also the main station where the train makes a longer stop and there are always other people getting off and on, you cannot miss your stop.

Mitte, however, is simply two platforms in a deep cutting, not even a ticket machine. The walk into town is across the shoppping centre car-park, through a large indoor shopping mall and down the main shopping street.

Mitte is only 2 mins from the Hbf and there are usually not many people to get off so you have to be ready, at the doors, as soon as the train leaves the Hbf. One cruiser reported that, as they were not aware you must push a button to open the doors and there was no one else getting off in Mitte, the train started again before they got off and they were stranded at the next station for an hour waiting for a train back into Schwerin. Better to be safe than sorry.

I use Mitte when going shopping but never with visitors as I don't think it is a very nice introduction to Schwerin.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Hi Anni,

Thank you for clarifying! Instead of buying the Lander ticket, could I buy a collective ticket to include the tram in Rostock, or would that not cover the return train from Rostock to Warnemunde?

Hi, sorry but the only way to buy the tickets if you want to use the itinerary you describe is the one I have quoted. There is absolutely no way to combine a train ticket to Schwerin with the tram ticket from the Rostock Hbf into the City and, as I said before, there is no such thing as a return ticket.

Basically,

Lander tickets are valid only on the DB rail system (after 9am except on weekends) ie. the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf and regional trains in Mecklenburg vor Pommern.

Local transport tickets are only valid on local transport, ie trams, buses, cross-river ferries and the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf .

I know this is complicated but I'm afraid I cannot find a better way to explain

the system. Please accept that to follow your intended itinerary the tickets described in my first reply are what you will need.

Your Lander ticket will be inspected on the regional train but the local transport runs on an honour system and you may or may not have your ticket inspected on the tram. You may get away with it if you do not have the correct ticket but on the other hand if you are unlucky enough to meet a ticket inspector, 40 euros per person (the fine for not having a ticket) is a high price to pay.

Anni

Hi Annie,

We also wish to take the train to Schwerin from Warnemunde.....and I'm not sure I understand the process properly. So, just to clarify here is our plan:

We thought to explore Warnemunde early in the morning and then at 9.00am purchase a Lander ticket to go to Rostock Hbf by the s-bahn? Is this ticket a return ticket I can use to Warnemunde from Rostock later in the day?

From Rostock Hbf we would purchase a train ticket to Schwerin - is this a return ticket or would we need to purchase single tickets each way?

Is my plan correct or am I totally confused? Is there a better way to get to Schwerin from Warnemunde?

Hope you can help! It is a bit confusing with the different trains, trams etc and different types of tickets but I'd really like to work it out :D

Annie,

I have just finished reading your website and I can see that I have been really confused with my previous post.

Not sure that I have it any better in my head yet so......

My questions now are:

Can we travel to Schwerin from Warnemunde on the s-bahn (red train) with no train changes at the price of 27E for two people? Does this ticket also cover our return to Schwerin?

With the Local Transport day ticket can we get on the s-bahn (grey train), trams and ferries in Warnemunde and Rostock all day for 4.90E per person?

Annie,

I have just finished reading your website and I can see that I have been really confused with my previous post.

Not sure that I have it any better in my head yet so......

My questions now are:

Can we travel to Schwerin from Warnemunde on the s-bahn (red train) with no train changes at the price of 27E for two people? Does this ticket also cover our return to Schwerin?

With the Local Transport day ticket can we get on the s-bahn (grey train), trams and ferries in Warnemunde and Rostock all day for 4.90E per person?

Hi, I am sorry but you seem to be even more confused now so I will try to explain. :confused:

You cannot travel between Warnemünde and Schwerin without a change of train. You must change from the s-bahn to the Regional train, RE, in Rostock Hbf (main station). The Lander ticket becomes valid after 9am on weekdays or 3am on weekends and covers your travel anywhere on the Regional trains and the s-bahn until 3am the next day. If you wish to take the s-bahn from Warnemünde before 9am in order to catch the 9.07 RE from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin then you need to purchase a single ticket for the section between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf but if you leave Warnemünde later than 9am and catch a later train to Schwerin from Rostock Hbf (eg the 11.07) then the Lander ticket is valid for the whole journey. Your return is covered all the way from Schwerin to Warnemünde by the Lander ticket.

The s-bahn is the local train between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf . All s-bahn trains are red, the only grey trains are the ICE, IC and EC express, long distance trains.

You would use the s-bahn in conjunction with the buses, trams and cross-river ferries if you intend to travel only in the Rostock/Warnemünde area. This is the area covered by the Local Transport ticket which costs 2euro for a single journey (eg.Warnemünde to Rostock City centre by train and tram) or 4.90euro for a day ticket. NB the day ticket is only economical if you intend to do three or more journeys in the one day.

You do not need transport to explore Warnemünde itself, everything is within walking distance of the ship

Sorry, I had no idea my web site was so confusing but I can't think how to explain the system any other way. If anyone else can explain it better, please help!

ANNI

Edited by Travelanni

Anni,

I think I've got it now - thank you for explaining.

Just to clarify:

My plan - single ticket to Rostock to catch 9.07 train to Schwerin. Purchase Lander ticket which will take me to Schwerin and then return me all the way back to Warnemunde later in the day.

Any extra trips around Rostock would be by single tickets.

I'm not usually so thick - but for some reason I could just not get my head around these trains.

Thank you for persevering with me and ..... please advise if I still have it wrong :eek::eek:

I'm very grateful for your help and I have enjoyed your website although for some reason the tickets page confused me. I'm sure you explained it beautifully there, but I obviously misunderstood big time - my fault, not yours.

Anni,

I think I've got it now - thank you for explaining.

Just to clarify:

My plan - single ticket to Rostock to catch 9.07 train to Schwerin. Purchase Lander ticket which will take me to Schwerin and then return me all the way back to Warnemunde later in the day.

Any extra trips around Rostock would be by single tickets.

I'm not usually so thick - but for some reason I could just not get my head around these trains.

Thank you for persevering with me and ..... please advise if I still have it wrong :eek::eek:

I'm very grateful for your help and I have enjoyed your website although for some reason the tickets page confused me. I'm sure you explained it beautifully there, but I obviously misunderstood big time - my fault, not yours.

Hi fellow Aussies, thanks for your appreciation. Sorry if I sounded a bit short but I was at my wits end how to explain any different :confused:

You have it correct now, enjoy your day. Any more questions, please ask.

Anni

Hey Anni.....so you are an Aussie :D I'm all sorted now thanks to you.....and glad I've got it right. We would have worked it out once we were in Warnemunde I'm sure, but so much better to know what we are doing right from the word go so no frustration or wasted time on the day. And nope, you didn't sound a bit short at all :D Thanks again :D

Thanks.....we will be there on a Tuesday :D

However, if it had been a Monday we were due there I would have had no idea that Castle is closed on a Monday - so thanks!!

You're welcome! Unfortunately

I will be Warnemunde in a few weeks and had signed up for a tour to Warnemunde, Rostock, and Schwerin. The tour company then realized it was on a Monday when the castle is closed so they won't be going to Schwerin.

I'm happy for you that you are going on a Tues.

You're welcome! Unfortunately

I will be Warnemunde in a few weeks and had signed up for a tour to Warnemunde, Rostock, and Schwerin. The tour company then realized it was on a Monday when the castle is closed so they won't be going to Schwerin.

I'm happy for you that you are going on a Tues.

Hi, thanks for the reminder. I had not thought to mention this as it was discussed at length last year on another thread.

In general, the situation in Germany is that if places of interest ie. museums, castles etc, do not open every day then the day on which they will be closed is Monday. There are, of course, a few exceptions but not many. It is always best to check on the web site of either the attraction itself or the local tourist office.

BTW. Shops in Rostock, Schwerin, Wismar and most other towns are not allowed to open on Sunday. The exceptions are bakeries, cafes and restaurants, shops in rail stations and airports. Shops in Warnemünde and Berlin are allowed to open on Sunday as these are classed as tourist areas; some do and some don't.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am sorry but you seem to be even more confused now so I will try to explain. :confused:

You cannot travel between Warnemünde and Schwerin without a change of train. You must change from the s-bahn to the Regional train, RE, in Rostock Hbf (main station). The Lander ticket becomes valid after 9am on weekdays or 3am on weekends and covers your travel anywhere on the Regional trains and the s-bahn until 3am the next day. If you wish to take the s-bahn from Warnemünde before 9am in order to catch the 9.07 RE from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin then you need to purchase a single ticket for the section between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf but if you leave Warnemünde later than 9am and catch a later train to Schwerin from Rostock Hbf (eg the 11.07) then the Lander ticket is valid for the whole journey. Your return is covered all the way from Schwerin to Warnemünde by the Lander ticket.

The s-bahn is the local train between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf . All s-bahn trains are red, the only grey trains are the ICE, IC and EC express, long distance trains.

You would use the s-bahn in conjunction with the buses, trams and cross-river ferries if you intend to travel only in the Rostock/Warnemünde area. This is the area covered by the Local Transport ticket which costs 2euro for a single journey (eg.Warnemünde to Rostock City centre by train and tram) or 4.90euro for a day ticket. NB the day ticket is only economical if you intend to do three or more journeys in the one day.

You do not need transport to explore Warnemünde itself, everything is within walking distance of the ship

Sorry, I had no idea my web site was so confusing but I can't think how to explain the system any other way. If anyone else can explain it better, please help!

ANNI

Hi Annie - I read this link and understand the methodology used to go to Schwerin. I know that if you wait after 9 AM the Lander Ticket is 26 Euros for up to five people and takes you round trip from Warnemunde to/from Schwerin. I would presume the only reason to buy it earlier than 9 is one would be able to take the 9:07 train. So if I am buying it before 9 what are my extra costs (am I just buying the S-bahn ticket separately and if so - how much additional is that? Thanks

Hi Annie - I read this link and understand the methodology used to go to Schwerin. I know that if you wait after 9 AM the Lander Ticket is 26 Euros for up to five people and takes you round trip from Warnemunde to/from Schwerin. I would presume the only reason to buy it earlier than 9 is one would be able to take the 9:07 train. So if I am buying it before 9 what are my extra costs (am I just buying the S-bahn ticket separately and if so - how much additional is that? Thanks

Actually I should have taken my time reading your response. If I understand this - if you leave before 9 AM then the only additional fare is 2 Euro pp - so the total expense for two people would be 26 +2 +2 if one wants to catch the 9:07 train. Is that correct? The additional 4 Euros would be for the S-bahn between Warnemunde and Rostock for two people but that portion is included in the Lander ticket for the return?????

Thanks

Actually I should have taken my time reading your response. If I understand this - if you leave before 9 AM then the only additional fare is 2 Euro pp - so the total expense for two people would be 26 +2 +2 if one wants to catch the 9:07 train. Is that correct? The additional 4 Euros would be for the S-bahn between Warnemunde and Rostock for two people but that portion is included in the Lander ticket for the return?????

Thanks

Hi,

:)The good news is - you have the methodology right but :( the bad news is - the fares have gone up!

The Lander Ticket is now 23€ for the first person and 4€ additional for each person up to four extra. ie 27€ for two people. A single ticket for the local transport before 9am is now 2.10€ pp.

Sorry about that.

Anni

Hi,

:)The good news is - you have the methodology right but :( the bad news is - the fares have gone up!

The Lander Ticket is now 23€ for the first person and 4€ additional for each person up to four extra. ie 27€ for two people. A single ticket for the local transport before 9am is now 2.10€ pp.

Sorry about that.

Anni

Thanks Anni - One last question: have the train times changed?

Thanks Anni - One last question: have the train times changed?

Hi, more good news :):) - the train times have not changed. I updated everything on my web site last week but it is always advisable to check nearer your date. The DB site which I use is a direct English translation of the German site, not the sites designed for tourists which are often behind in updates.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Anni

Anni,

Thanks for the great info. We will be on the same cruise as Jerry and plan to be like ducklings and follow him to Schwerin ( he seems to have a good grasp of the concept). I will print the directions as well but am wondering if the train stations are attended by real people (not kiosks) who will also be helpful if we become confused and have lost Jerry!!! The good news we are in port for a long time so missing the ship won't happen!

We did this trip a few years ago with all the helpful advice that Anni could give (thanks Anni!). It worked smoothly and was definitely a highlight for us. Schwerin was wonderful! And when we arrived back in Warnemunde we enjoyed a relaxing glass of wine in a cafe admiring all the boats. I have great memories of this port and our adventure to Schwerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anni - I should have asked this before: the only decision we will have to make is whether we leave before 9 AM (and get the earlier train - it costs a little more but more time to spend in Schwerin ) or we leave after 9 AM - slightly less expensive but also less time to spend in Schwerin. So the question is: we will take our time taking in the beauty of Schwerin and visit the shops and castle, etc. - once we are off the train - should we allocate a few hours in Schwerin or perhaps as much as four/five hours there? If we take the early train at 9:07 and take the first train back at 15:53 - that's almost six hours there - that maybe excessive for us. I was thinking we would take the 11:07 train (still giving us almost four hours there) - and between 0900 to 1107 - we would tour Rostock. Does that sound like a workable plan?

Anni - I should have asked this before: the only decision we will have to make is whether we leave before 9 AM (and get the earlier train - it costs a little more but more time to spend in Schwerin ) or we leave after 9 AM - slightly less expensive but also less time to spend in Schwerin. So the question is: we will take our time taking in the beauty of Schwerin and visit the shops and castle, etc. - once we are off the train - should we allocate a few hours in Schwerin or perhaps as much as four/five hours there? If we take the early train at 9:07 and take the first train back at 15:53 - that's almost six hours there - that maybe excessive for us. I was thinking we would take the 11:07 train (still giving us almost four hours there) - and between 0900 to 1107 - we would tour Rostock. Does that sound like a workable plan?

Hi Jerry, it is a workable plan although it will be slightly more expensive. Please remember that the LANDER TICKET is NOT VALID on the tram between Rostock Hbf. (central station) and Rostock city centre. Therefore you would need to buy single local transport tickets, which are valid any time for the whole journey (s-bahn + tram) between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre. You would also need single tickets for the tram back to Rostock Hbf. There is no such thing as a return ticket, you must buy separate singles.

I will try to simplify - the Lander ticket is valid after 9am between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf only whereas the Local Transport ticket is valid between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre, s-bahn + tram, at any time.

If you still wish to use your Lander ticket after 9am to get to Rostock Hbf. you could not arrive before 9:24 and the alternative to using the tram would be to walk to and from the city. Walking time is about 15mins each way (and BTW, there is nothing of interest between the two) so you would save 8.40 euros but be left with effectively just over an hour to explore Rostock.

I am sorry if I did not make it clear but the trains Rostock-Schwerin run every 2 hours through the day starting at 6:07 and Schwerin to Rostock every two hours starting at 7:47 until 21:47.with an extra train at 16:46. Please look at my Schwerin page on the web site for the latest updates.

Given your comments about how long you like to spend in one place my personal thoughts on the subject ;)

Have a lesiurely breakfast, take a walk around Warnemünde, catch whichever s-bahn gives you plenty of time for your change in Rostock Hbf. to the 11:07 to Schwerin, spend 4 hours in Schwerin, take the 16:46 back to Rostock and, if you have the time and the energy, stop off in Rostock on the way back. Then carry on to Warnemünde and chill out with a wine in a waterside cafe just 5mins away from your ship. Enjoy a relaxed day in what is otherwise a very port-intensive cruise.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Jerry, it is a workable plan although it will be slightly more expensive. Please remember that the LANDER TICKET is NOT VALID on the tram between Rostock Hbf. (central station) and Rostock city centre. Therefore you would need to buy single local transport tickets, which are valid any time for the whole journey (s-bahn + tram) between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre. You would also need single tickets for the tram back to Rostock Hbf. There is no such thing as a return ticket, you must buy separate singles.

I will try to simplify - the Lander ticket is valid after 9am between Warnemünde and Rostock Hbf only whereas the Local Transport ticket is valid between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre, s-bahn + tram, at any time.

If you still wish to use your Lander ticket after 9am to get to Rostock Hbf. you could not arrive before 9:24 and the alternative to using the tram would be to walk to and from the city. Walking time is about 15mins each way (and BTW, there is nothing of interest between the two) so you would save 8.40 euros but be left with effectively just over an hour to explore Rostock.

I am sorry if I did not make it clear but the trains Rostock-Schwerin run every 2 hours through the day starting at 6:07 and Schwerin to Rostock every two hours starting at 7:47 until 21:47.with an extra train at 16:46. Please look at my Schwerin page on the web site for the latest updates.

Given your comments about how long you like to spend in one place my personal thoughts on the subject ;)

Have a lesiurely breakfast, take a walk around Warnemünde, catch whichever s-bahn gives you plenty of time for your change in Rostock Hbf. to the 11:07 to Schwerin, spend 4 hours in Schwerin, take the 16:46 back to Rostock and, if you have the time and the energy, stop off in Rostock on the way back. Then carry on to Warnemünde and chill out with a wine in a waterside cafe just 5mins away from your ship. Enjoy a relaxed day in what is otherwise a very port-intensive cruise.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

First Anni - a great big thanks. The way you laid it out in your final paragraph is exactly what we are going to do. Given the time restraints I think we'll tour Warnemunde for an hour and probably skip Rostock (unless you feel that an hour in Rostock is worth more than an hour in Warnemunde.