2 Days Reykjavik

We have hired a car for our 2 days in Reykjavik and need some help planning.

We will definitely do the Golden Circle but are undecided whether to drive the south coast as far as Vik or just explore Reykjavik itself and do the Blue Lagoon. If we drive the south coast we will do that on our full day and then have less time to do the Golden Circle on our 2nd day.

So the question is do long day Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon and Reykjavik or South Coast and short day Golden Circle.

All comments greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Is the ship in port those two days? Do you need to catch a flight at the end? When are you actually leaving Iceland and how?

Assuming you have two full days, I'd do the South Coast one day, then the BL and GC the next. Depending on how long you like to soak, the BL doesn't have to take that much time.

Reykjavik is a great city, but IMHO, you don't go to Iceland to see the city. That said, I did a really delightful food walking tour of Rey on my second trip. I've been to Iceland twice and still haven't done the GC. I've done the south coast, which was amazing. We spent an entire day, and stayed at the hotel, at the Blue Lagoon.

Is the ship in port those two days? Do you need to catch a flight at the end? When are you actually leaving Iceland and how?

Assuming you have two full days, I'd do the South Coast one day, then the BL and GC the next. Depending on how long you like to soak, the BL doesn't have to take that much time.

Reykjavik is a great city, but IMHO, you don't go to Iceland to see the city. That said, I did a really delightful food walking tour of Rey on my second trip. I've been to Iceland twice and still haven't done the GC. I've done the south coast, which was amazing. We spent an entire day, and stayed at the hotel, at the Blue Lagoon.

Just there in February to see the Northern lights. Definitely consider seeing the South coast. I agree with above re Rey. and Blue Lagoon. When we went to BG, I grabbed 2 towels at entrance and one was pretty wet after showering prior so I was glad to have a second towel exiting the pool. A lot of hype, BG was okay but not the be all end all for me. Just bring your pocketbook bc food prices are expensive. If you're flying Icelandic air, the airport lines were significant first thing in the morning (I flew Delta which was way less). Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blue Lagoon towels are rented (or you can bring your own), so you don't just "grab" towels at the entrance!

We love the BL. Golden Circle is a must. Reykjavik is a cute city, but easily skipped.

Definitely hit the South Coast. The two big waterfalls, the "drive up glacier" and the black sand beaches are a must!

Thank you for your replies. We are on the Norwegian Jade and stop in Reykjavik for 2 days. We leave at 4pm on the 2nd day so would probably need to get the car back by about 2-2:30pm. Just didn't know if this would be enough time to do the Golden Circle on our 2nd day. Reading comments it seems that the south coast is well worth it so think we will do that day one and then do as much of the Golden Circle as we can on day 2 and probably skip Blue Lagoon. Any comments on this?

If you'll be there much past mid June you'll have loads of daylight so your south coast day could be very long, letting you pack in many stops. Consider stopping here:

http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/2013/05/seljavallalaug-a-hiidden-gem-in-south-iceland/

on your south coast tour and skip the BL. The BL is nice, and it is sort of a "check the box" type of attraction, but for limited time, I'd spend it out in the countryside.

Thank you for your replies. We are on the Norwegian Jade and stop in Reykjavik for 2 days. We leave at 4pm on the 2nd day so would probably need to get the car back by about 2-2:30pm. Just didn't know if this would be enough time to do the Golden Circle on our 2nd day. Reading comments it seems that the south coast is well worth it so think we will do that day one and then do as much of the Golden Circle as we can on day 2 and probably skip Blue Lagoon. Any comments on this?

For two days, we decided to do Golden Circle with add ons, then we will go to Reykjavik in the evening to see Hallgrimskirkja from the outside and walk around town and maybe have dinner. The next day, we will go to Blue Lagoon. We originally had a much bigger plan, including Vik and also possibly the secret lagoon, but in the end decided we were trying to do too much.

You might check your ship's shore excursion listings - I'm on Holland America and they offer an evening (on day 1 of 2) visit to the Blue Lagoon. Ours is at 7:30. OR, since you have a car, try to make reservations for an evening visit to the Blue Lagoon yourself?

You could easily do the South Coast on Day 1 and I recommend doing the Golden Circle on Day 2 as it is a much shorter tour.