Warnemunde area - rental car or taxi (or train)?

We have a full day in Warnemunde in August (Saturday). We're thinking of renting a car to do some sightseeing. How is the driving there? Are taxis a better option? Or should we use trains? - we like the flexibility of a car, but maybe the train would be better.

We are also going to Warnemunde in July.

I've done a bit of research into the area as we don't fancy the long day in Berlin. We'll do this another time. Have a look on TripAdvisor & read the fabulous reviews for the Molli Steam Train. Apparently you can get the main train from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan via Rostock, which is another quite pretty place according to the reviews.

Also Google http://www.whatsinport.com for other cruise ship port info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to hijack your post here but we are also traveling in July to the same area on celebrity silhouette and my plan was actually to go to Berlin but we were going to Rent-A-Car and drive so that we could accomplish it quickly. I have no desire to be in a large bus with a lot of other people. I am somewhat concerned about the distance and accidents along the way. But we have a quote for a private driver for $550 for a round-trip which I felt was excessive so I'm trying to figure out if people think that a rental car option is a good option

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a number of posts (including one on this page) about this subject. Just go back through the last month's posts or search and you will find plenty of answers.

If I missed those posts I apologize - I did a search and only found information on car rentals themselves. My question is about driving conditions. Has anyone driven a car in that area? We can find alternative transportation if driving is to be avoided for some reason.

We've already booked the car, by the way; just wanted to know a bit more before we get there.

ETA - I suppose the absence of any cautionary advice about renting a car in that area is a good sign!

Edited by alc13

If I missed those posts I apologize - I did a search and only found information on car rentals themselves. My question is about driving conditions. Has anyone driven a car in that area? We can find alternative transportation if driving is to be avoided for some reason.

We've already booked the car, by the way; just wanted to know a bit more before we get there.

i think she was talking about my post. i'm planning on driving too so far, since there are three of us, seems like driving is a pretty good option as long as there are no accidents. but what i read on the trains are they can be late as well, most of the train posts are from 2013, but i'm continuing to read.

my guide in berlin wants me to rent a car and driver to pick us up in warnemunde and drive us to berlin and drive us around for the day for 550 euro plus the cost of the guide, about 80 euro an hour, so i'm seriously looking at the rental car option, because then i can just leave whenever i get the car. 6 tickets on the train would be more than the car for the day, 3 there and 3 back

which is why you have come to the conclusion as well

i think she was talking about my post. i'm planning on driving too so far, since there are three of us, seems like driving is a pretty good option as long as there are no accidents. but what i read on the trains are they can be late as well, most of the train posts are from 2013, but i'm continuing to read. /quote]

Oh, I hadn't seen that about trains sometimes being late. Thanks for that information. All in all I think we'll be happy with our car.