Hamburg airport to port

It's 18 km from the airport to the cruise terminal (Hamburg Cruise Center) so 2.40 EUR initiatial fee + 16.80 EUR for the first 10 kms + 10.24 EUR for the next 8 kms = 22.64 EUR - round up incl. tipping and "detours" + "waiting time" about 30 EUR.

Take the Airport Express to Central Station.

One-Way Ticket 5,00 EUR / Return Ticket 8,00 EUR - Frequency every 10 minutes during the day time - transit time about 25 minutes.

2008HHAirport1-vi.jpg

2008HHAirport2-vi.jpg

Stay there until a Metrobus 6 is coming.

But only those showing HAFEN CITY / Marco-Polo-Terrassen (formerly: Am Dalmannkai (SAP)) (Do not take RATHAUSMARKT!!!).

1,30 EUR One-Way-Ticket - frequency: every 15-20 Minutes - transit time 12 minutes.

2008HHStation1-vi.jpg

2008HHStation2-vi.jpg

If you watch this picture

2007HHGeneral2-vi.jpg

This is taken from the ship (subject your ship berth at Hamburg Cruise Center) and behind the left dark modern building (SAP) it's the busstop.

Walking about 3-5 minutes.

Regards,

HeinBloed

From the Hamburg central bus station, instead of wait around for the #6 bus, one could consider catching the taxi (for 12.40 EUR??) then.

Why???

Neither the Airport Express nor the Metrobus 6 stop at Hamburg Central Bus Station! Both stops at the Kirchenallee Side of the Central Railways Station!

It's only 2 km - so taking a cab from Central Railways Station should be around 8 EUR incl. waiting time and tipping but may vary due to deviations because of current subway constructions.

So even walking is possible... (but his 4-night-tour he would have more than just some underwear with him...).

The location of the Hamburg Cruise Center is absolutely great in relation to the City Center. Same like Canada Place in Vancouver.

2007HHGeneral-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Me & my wife may stay at Madison Hotel at Schaarsteinweg 4 (across from Baumwallhof) this August for 3 nights. Taking the taxi with 2 check-in luggage from the Central Railway Station to the hotel after 20:00 then won't cost a lot, I hope.

Me & my wife may stay at Madison Hotel at Schaarsteinweg 4 (across from Baumwallhof) this August for 3 nights. Taking the taxi with 2 check-in luggage from the Central Railway Station to the hotel after 20:00 then won't cost a lot, I hope.

Sell your house...

about 6-8 EUR... It's only 3 km from the Central Station.

Very centrally located.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sell your house...

about 6-8 EUR... It's only 3 km from the Central Station.

Very centrally located.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Around 25 EURO/30min. by airport taxi to Madison is not bad compares to the 18 EURO (5+5+8)/40min. trip. Thanks.

18 EURO (5+5+8)/40min. trip is not bad compares to 35 EURO/30min. by airport taxi. Thanks.

Hmm...

due to your special location (about 3 minutes to subway station Baumwall):

Airport - U S Ohlsdorf by bus 110 (every 10 minutes / transit time 12 minutes)

U S Ohlsdorf - U Kellinghusenstraße (towards Ohlstedt/Großhansdorf) by subway U1 (every 5-10 minutes / transit time 9 minutes)

CONNECTION FACE TO FACE AT SAME PLATFORM AND NORMALLY AT SAME MINUTE!!!

U Kellinghusenstraße - U S Berliner Tor (towards Berliner Tor) by subway U3 (every 5-10 minutes / transit time 12 minutes)

U = U-Bahn = subway

S = S-Bahn = commuter train

Single ticket = 2.60 EUR pp

Group-day pass for whole Hamburg = 8.60 EUR (for max. 5 persons)

Hamburg Card for 1 day for groups for whole Hamburg incl. discounts for sights admittance = 11.80 EUR (for max. 5 persons)

Hamburg Card for 3 consecetive days for groups for whole Hamburg incl. discounts for sights admittance = 29.80 EUR (for max. 5 persons)

Hamburg Card for 5 consecetive days for groups for whole Hamburg incl. discounts for sights admittance = 51.00 EUR (for max. 5 persons)

So you can get for less than 18.00 EUR...

if you do not have too much baggage...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 8 years later...
Hi my ship costa Pacifica is arriving to Hamburg at 9am and my plane live at12.30 do u think i can make it?

Thx

Tobi

Generally yes.

But to check properly:

Destination of flight: impact passport check plus additional checks

Which date you arrive in Hamburg: impact terminal in Hamburg: we have three and all three are differently connected.

Regards

HeinBloed

Wondering, since this thread is from 2008, if we are definitely using a taxi from Airport to port (Altona terminal), then upon return of cruise we'll go from Altona port back to the airport, what would be a good approximation of taxi fare for 2 people with 2 bags each round trip?

Not concerned which form of transportation might be quicker/cheaper, just interested in tax fare, in case we want to pay in Euros

Wondering, since this thread is from 2008, if we are definitely using a taxi from Airport to port (Altona terminal), then upon return of cruise we'll go from Altona port back to the airport, what would be a good approximation of taxi fare for 2 people with 2 bags each round trip?

Not concerned which form of transportation might be quicker/cheaper, just interested in tax fare, in case we want to pay in Euros

The taxi fare finder for Hamburg: https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Hamburg-Germany&from=Kreuzfahrtterminal+Altona%2C+Hamburg%2C+Germany&to=Flughafen+Hamburg+GmbH%2C+Hamburg%2C+Germany&fromCoord=53.5445273,9.936107499999935&toCoord=53.633622,9.997412800000006

When I put in Kreuzfahrtterminal Altona and Flughafen Hamburg the price came up as 41.79 Euro but depending on time of day it will average 50 Euro.

The shortest way is cross-city: 13.6 km = base 3.20 EUR + 2.35 EUR/km for the 1st 4 km + 2.10 EUR/km for the next 5 km + 1.45 EUR/km for the last 4.6 km = 3.20 EUR + 9.40 EUR + 16.00 EUR + 6.67 EUR = 35.27 EUR - round up by meter 35.30 EUR for the distance - is MINIMUM.

60 seconds of waiting time is free. After 60 seconds every 12 seconds 0.10 EUR. So many stops a traffic signals and congestions makes it expensive.

no surcharge for baggage

many taxis in Hamburg also accept credit cards.

As a German they might would ask me if I like to go "A7" (Interstate 7) which is easy to access from Altona. If there is no traffic congestion it as a more comfortable way to go but more expensive.

If you go after 09.00 hrs the rush-hour in Hamburg is mostly over.

Difficult to say.

As someone who lived for many years in Hamburg I would start to check for traffic congestions on A7.

The route cross-city is not worth for sightseeing as it goes only through regular neighbourhoods without attractions.

As a former Hamburger I personally would take the taxi to Altona train station and take the commuter train S1 to the Airport. Every 10 minutes and it arrives in the basement of the airport. Not for money - but to avoid to get stucked in the traffic.

I know you do not want to hear it. But it is the safest way to be punctual at the airport.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

Heinbloed,

Good to see your post. You helped us a lot with Copenhagen info a few years ago. Your photos are great!

We are staying pre-cruise at airport hotel. Would the S train to Altona train station and then a taxi to Altona terminal be a good choice? About how much does the S train airport to Altona train station cost?

Heinbloed,

Good to see your post. You helped us a lot with Copenhagen info a few years ago. Your photos are great!

We are staying pre-cruise at airport hotel. Would the S train to Altona train station and then a taxi to Altona terminal be a good choice? About how much does the S train airport to Altona train station cost?

Good morning,

actually (2017) the one-way fare from Hamburg Airport to Hamburg Downtown (for HafenCity)/Altona and Weddel (for Steinwerder) is 3.10 EUR and includes also all transfers to your destination to bus (except EXPRESSBUSES / surcharge applied 2.00 EUR).

From Altona Station it is a walk of 15-20 minutes with many stairs to the cruise terminal Altona or a bus ride of 5 stops by bus 111 (which also connects to Hafen City Terminal).

Or coming from the airport leaving at Landings Stages (Landungsdbrücken). Take Ferry 62 towards Finkenwerder to Docklands and you have the VERY BEST view to your ship - just passing and dock next to the cruise ship. From here 1 minute walk.

If you have a chance to rebook: The airport area is very boring.

So for me FROM LOGISTICS point of view:

Use InterCity Hotel at Altona. Normally a good price-value-ratio.

So you can easily get from Airport to Altona. Can stay there.

There hotel rate includes free public transfort.

So you can easily doing sightseeing with the hotel pass and next day go

Hope it helps.

Regards

HeinBloed

Good morning,

actually (2017) the one-way fare from Hamburg Airport to Hamburg Downtown (for HafenCity)/Altona and Weddel (for Steinwerder) is 3.10 EUR and includes also all transfers to your destination to bus (except EXPRESSBUSES / surcharge applied 2.00 EUR).

From Altona Station it is a walk of 15-20 minutes with many stairs to the cruise terminal Altona or a bus ride of 5 stops by bus 111 (which also connects to Hafen City Terminal).

Or coming from the airport leaving at Landings Stages (Landungsdbrücken). Take Ferry 62 towards Finkenwerder to Docklands and you have the VERY BEST view to your ship - just passing and dock next to the cruise ship. From here 1 minute walk.

If you have a chance to rebook: The airport area is very boring.

So for me FROM LOGISTICS point of view:

Use InterCity Hotel at Altona. Normally a good price-value-ratio.

So you can easily get from Airport to Altona. Can stay there.

There hotel rate includes free public transfort.

So you can easily doing sightseeing with the hotel pass and next day go

Hope it helps.

Regards

HeinBloed

We arrive at the airport near midnight, so airport hotel is best choice.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you HeinBloed. You really do give wonderful and detailed advice that is very much appreciated.

As an American from the midwest, I have never ridden on a commuter train, and am intimidated by them.

How near do the trains come to the cruise terminal entrance? Can you roll your luggage (heavy) on and off, and keep it with you onboard the train?

We actually arrive in Hamburg the day prior to our cruise. Our flight home when we disembark the ship at Hamburg does not leave until 1400 hours, so can't see any "rush" on either leg, convenience is our prime factor and the amount of Euros to accommodate that convenience.

Thank you again for your help.

• 1 month later...
US news reported today the German train system was affected by cyber attack.

Wondering if Hamburg felt the effect?

Only the display of the departing trains and at the platform were impacted.

No train operation impacted by the cyber attack.

All you need to do is checking the paper-printed departure boards and listen to announcements.

Nothing more.

As an American from the midwest, I have never ridden on a commuter train, and am intimidated by them.

How near do the trains come to the cruise terminal entrance? Can you roll your luggage (heavy) on and off, and keep it with you onboard the train?

We actually arrive in Hamburg the day prior to our cruise. Our flight home when we disembark the ship at Hamburg does not leave until 1400 hours, so can't see any "rush" on either leg, convenience is our prime factor and the amount of Euros to accommodate that convenience.

As you do not seem to have had this part of your question answered I suggest that you re-post it on the thread 'JM Hamburg and others please help with Hamburg' where several people currently living in Hamburg are happy to help.

Happy cruising

Anni

Thanks Anni, but I contacted my bank yesterday about buying $100 Euros. Hoping that will be enough to cover taxi fare from the airport to Altona, then from Altona to the airport. I am going to give it a little time to see if I get a little better rate. Was pleased to hear the Euros would arrive at my bank the following my order. I am a newbie at foreign currency.