Case Weight limits

holidayhelen

Hello - I always thought that with sailing from Southampton you don't really have to worry about the weight of your cases. But I am printing off the luggage labels for our cruise on Friday and I have just noticed that it says 20kg limit!!! Is this adhered too??? I have never noticed anyone weight the cases before - last time they literally just unloaded them from the car and we drove off.

Thanks for any help

I've never seen or heard of them being weighed, I think the weight restriction is for the benefit of the staff who have to move them. As there isn't any restriction on the amount of luggage I don't over-fill and just pack an extra case if necessary. Others may know different. Have a great cruise [emoji4]

Edited by Florry

They do pick up if it is much over and label them as " heavy" - we had that happen last year - case weighed about 24 kg.... I belive it is simply to protect the staff as they are often handled by cabin stewards when on the ship. . . We always stick to 20kg ( ish) now and just take an extra caseif needed..

I've noticed that it was 20kg on the luggage labels, but the p and o website says 23kg, I was hoping to only take 2 large cases, 1 small and one overnight bag as we are travelling on the train, but if limited to 20kg might have to take 3 large cases as 3 of us going.

Just don't know!?!?

Edited by Poppins74

My thing is if I cant lift the case easily, why should I expect anyone else to (even if they are a big beefy man!)

I can see the problem coming by train, I am not sure what I would do as for the 2 of us we usually take 2 large/2 medium/2 small roll ons.

It tends to be the male shoes and toiletry bags that are the heaviest things for us.

Is there any way of not taking everything you were planning on. I am much better at wearing all I take now, and not taking just in case items so much.

We stick to 20kg per case, and we are usually just under that (17kg) in the big cases. Smaller ones are much lighter.

I invested in some suitcase scales and always use them now.

We take a couple of large cases each within the 20 kg range which we weigh ourselves plus a small travel case and a suit holder. I think the restrictions are for the health and safety of the baggage handlers and I stick to the allowances. I pack carefully using the old capsule wardrobe method and shoving underwear, socks, swimwear into shoes which are put at the edge of the cases and fill in the middle with t shirts and shorts etc, carefully folding shirts and dresses on the top. I put the toiletries, sun cream, hair products etc... in the small carry on case and find that at the end of the holiday I can put the small case inside one of the large ones and pack around. I put my posh frocks in the suit carrier with my other half's dinner suit. We always drive down and stay over so obviously its different on the train. There is a laundry room but I prefer to do as little as possible on holiday. Just wash the odd bit of underwear plus gym stuff.

Yes, the luggage weight limit is to do with H&S restrictions regarding lifting heavy weights for baggage handlers.

It's spelt out very clearly on PO's website and there is a warning that you will be asked to reduce the weight of bags >23Kg at the terminal. Whether anyone has been asked to do this, I wouldn't know but in fairness to the baggage handlers I think the 23Kg limit is very reasonable. Here is the relevant bit:

When sailing roundtrip from Southampton, you can bring as many pieces of luggage as you can comfortably fit into your cabin, as long as each item weighs no more than 23 kilograms for safety and handling purposes.

If an individual piece of luggage exceeds 23kg at embarkation you will be recalled to the terminal and asked to remove items or repack your bags. Your baggage may also be delayed at disembarkation if you exceed this limit.

So for your own convenience as well as respect for those having to handle the luggage, I think it best to stick to those limits.

Limits of course may well be different for fly/cruises and can vary from carrier to carrier. .

I can't understand the modern trend for having both your big case and your carry-on case on wheels.

In the old days, you could buy a main case on wheels, and a carry-on which sat on top of the main case (kept in place with a sleeve over the handle). If you had to manhandle your cases any distance, that was far easier than having to roll two separate cases.

We're heading to Australia shortly and will have two big cases each. Clearly, there is no way we could handle carry-ons which were also on wheels. So we're taking backpacks.

Hello - I always thought that with sailing from Southampton you don't really have to worry about the weight of your cases. But I am printing off the luggage labels for our cruise on Friday and I have just noticed that it says 20kg limit!!! Is this adhered too??? I have never noticed anyone weight the cases before - last time they literally just unloaded them from the car and we drove off.

Thanks for any help

You can take what you want, but the weight is for health and safety reasons of the Porters.

20kg gives them just enough leeway to handle the £5 note you will give them. :D

I can't understand the modern trend for having both your big case and your carry-on case on wheels.

In the old days, you could buy a main case on wheels, and a carry-on which sat on top of the main case (kept in place with a sleeve over the handle). If you had to manhandle your cases any distance, that was far easier than having to roll two separate cases.

We're heading to Australia shortly and will have two big cases each. Clearly, there is no way we could handle carry-ons which were also on wheels. So we're taking backpacks.

The small roll on is where you can take your immediate clothing etc, should your main cases NOT be delivered until late.

My thing is if I cant lift the case easily, why should I expect anyone else to (even if they are a big beefy man!)

I can see the problem coming by train, I am not sure what I would do as for the 2 of us we usually take 2 large/2 medium/2 small roll ons.

It tends to be the male shoes and toiletry bags that are the heaviest things for us.

Is there any way of not taking everything you were planning on. I am much better at wearing all I take now, and not taking just in case items so much.

We stick to 20kg per case, and we are usually just under that (17kg) in the big cases. Smaller ones are much lighter.

I invested in some suitcase scales and always use them now.

Wow that's a lot of luggage to take, I thought I was already been quite strict with myself to keep it to a sensible amount as half the time, I come back from hols with things never worn. However this is our first cruise, so think we will just go for an extra case and manage on the train with this, but will make sure it's not over 20kg .

Wow that's a lot of luggage to take, I thought I was already been quite strict with myself to keep it to a sensible amount as half the time, I come back from hols with things never worn. However this is our first cruise, so think we will just go for an extra case and manage on the train with this, but will make sure it's not over 20kg .

In my defence we tend to do 12 days min, longest was 24 days.

Uh what else can I say. I do wear things more than once..honestly..

Maybe be stricter with myself...maybe....

But the luggage labels now say 20kg so think it's been reduced.:confused:

I don't think its been changed, that was three weeks ago. All they do is put it on a conveyor belt through a hole in the wall. I have flown with a baggage allowance of 23KG which is 50lb in old money, the Yanks still say 50lb which is just a tad under 23KG.

Edited by CCFC

The small roll on is where you can take your immediate clothing etc, should your main cases NOT be delivered until late.

Yes, I know that's what the carry-on is for, but why does it have to be a separate roll-on?

Years ago, the carry-on was designed without wheels and sat nicely on top of your big case, held on by a sleeve over the handle of the big case.

It held just as much as a small roll-on.

I find handling two roll-on cases of any size a challenge, and of course three is impossible! That's why my carry-on these days is usually a backpack.

I travel by train so take one big case instead of 2, and my hand luggage in a backpack leaving my hands free. I don't weigh the large case, but figure that if a 60 year old woman can heave it on and off a train, then a beefy baggage handler shouldn't have a problem!

In my defence we tend to do 12 days min, longest was 24 days.

Uh what else can I say. I do wear things more than once..honestly..

Maybe be stricter with myself...maybe....

We've done two 6-week tours of Europe with one suitcase and one backpack each. On our last cruise (which was a 12-dayer) we took the same, and we both had more than enough clothes.

To be fair, formal clothing does take up a lot of space - two outfits for women and a big bulky suit for men, plus dress shoes. That can be almost a case in itself! Also, we were on Princess and I used the laundrette on a sea day about halfway through the cruise, so that's why I had enough undies etc. If you're on a line that doesn't offer DIY laundry it would get expensive.

I know what you mean about men's shoes, but my hubby takes one pair of black trainers, a pair of dress shoes and some flip-flops and that's it, so it's not too bad.