P&O first time cruiser

Confused_mammaj

Hi all. I am really hoping you can help us. My husband and I have cruises previously with RCI but since then we have had two small children. Which has now priced us out of RCI due to the child prices and the fact that my husband loves a balcony cabin.

Anyway we have decided to try P&O for the first time. We spent ages looking at cruises and finally settled on the N711 as the ports suited us and it was at a good time of year for us. With that decision made my in laws have asked if they can come with us, they have never cruised before.

Since we decided on which cruise P&O have now made it a strictly come dancing cruise so before I book it I was wondering if anyone has been on this type of themed cruise? Pro's and cons?

Also I am nervous about traveling with a two year old and 10 month old. Any help would be amazing x

If you picked the cruise for the ports and price I wouldn't be put off booking due to it being a Strictly cruise. I suppose the evening entertainment will be mainly dancing, but that may appeal to your in-laws. There are other venues for evening entertainment. The kids clubs will still run and you can always ring P&O to ask how many children the same age as yours are booked.

All the best.

From what I have read in the past there will be plenty of other places to go that are not strictly themed.

If you wanted to use them, the P and O childrens clubs are supposed to be very good (I do not have any, but again from what people have posted the children want to stay in them all the time)

Drinks and grats will be cheaper on P and O than RCI.

You will have mostly British people on the cruise, rather than international..up to you to decide if that's a good or bad thing!!!!.

Go with and open mind and try not to spend the cruise comparing.Each will have its plus and minus points.

I hope you have a lovely time...I am sure you will have. Any questions post away and we will try and answer them as best we can.

We also unknowingly booked a Strictly cruise and really it hardly affected things at all.....a couple of interviews with the celebrities and a fun competition, some of the dresses on display and a show dance in the theatre.....other than that no different to any other cruise.

Our grandchildren have cruised since they were small with P & O and love the kids clubs! :)

Have never been on RCI but have been on Ventura a number of times (as well as Azura & Britannia) and other cruise lines. It's very "English" on board, as its geared for the UK market, but the Ventura is a lovely ship and there will be plenty to do.

If you are booking a balcony, you may be aware but those on the C deck are twice the size as those on the decks above, and are half covered and half open, so you get the best of both worlds. Most of those on D deck are completely exposed balconies. There are exceptions eg. with aft cabins, but that's a general rule.

As I've not got children, I'm sorry I can't comment on what the kids would do, except I'm aware the kids club is very popular.

I can appreciate that you're nervous about going to a different cruise line, but I really wouldn't worry so much, as a cruise is a cruise and its what you make it at the end of the day. It will be a new adventure.

There are many folks on here - and not on here - who love P&O (as well as other lines), so we all can't be wrong. Yes I know that no cruise is perfect, but go with a positive attitude and relax, and you'll have a wonderful time.

I did P&O this year having done Celebrity cruises previously - there were some pluses and some minuses. Like you I chose the cruise because of the ports it visited, the length of the cruise and the month it sailed - (ie not in the main summer holiday weeks). I wasn't disappointed in the ports and the negatives didn't stop me enjoying my holiday.

I haven't done a themed cruise so cant comment on that.

Thanks all. I am looking forward to it but I think the pressure of the children and it being my in laws first cruise is just getting to me. Thank you for all of your help x

Well if your children like the children's club as much as most seem to, they will be sorted.

The in laws will have nothing to compare it to, so hopefully they will take it as they find it and enjoy it as well.

Try and stop stressing you will have a lovely time...

Please post back on your return so we know how it went.

I have been on two "Strictly" cruises on Ventura. While the theme of the entertainment is about Strictly such as exhibition dancing by professionals, who appear on the programme, talks by Craig Revell Horwood (very watchable even if you don't know anything about him) and by BBC producers as well as dance classes around the ship and "Strictly" quizzes.

There are plenty of other things going on with comedians and tribute acts just like any non themed cruise. If you want to avoid the Strictly entertainment there are alternatives. But even those who are not fans of the TV programme seemed to enjoy it.

Edited by whoops

Hi

Booked a Strictly Cruise last year - my husband, son in law and granson hate the programme but mum, daughter and other granson love it while I am neutral. The cruise was at the right time and length so hence the booking. We all enjoyed the cruise, as we always do and there was plenty for the 'Strictly haters'. There were shows, talks, demonstrations and displays but there was always at least 1 alternative. I hated the displays - the dresses were so tiny especially the waists but that can be put down to jealousy.

As you can see we are 4 generations and cruising suits us perfectly we all do our own thing well that's the theory but we spend a great deal of time together.

We have only ever cruised P&O so can't comment on the differences but as others have said some things will be better and some worse

The Children's Clubs are in my opinion excellent and well run by Qualified staff. For the little ones they have to be signed in and out by a responsible authorised adult-thought that would let me out but no such luck. The only disadvvantage for you, if indeed it is one, is that only 2 year olds and above can be left in the clubs, the younger ones have play facilities but have to have parents or the responsible adult with them.

In my exoerience the waiters etc love children and they seem to get better treatment than the adults - only joking.

We have always taken our children to eat with us although grandpa and dad are happy to do Children's Tea and on the whole they are welcome in the dinning rooms - well there are always the odd few who disapprove but that's their problem!

Hope that you have a great time. Oh one other thing I always do the arranging and as you say it is a big responsibility but as I get older I just say ' If you don't like it do it yourself

This year husband and I are cruising by ourselves now that will be steange

Anne

Thank you so much Anne that is really helpful.

We are all booked in and really looking forward to it now.

We decided to treat ourselves and book a superior deluxe balcony cabin as it will give us a lot more room with the boys. My in laws have booked an outside cabin.

I just wish it was not so far away x

I've sailed mainly on Royal Caribbean but we sailed on Ventura last year with our daughter who was then nearly 2. We had a great time the suited her well. She spent time in the kids club (accompanied by us) and she loved it!

It's different to RC with less activities etc but still plenty to do.

We've booked again to sail on her this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums