Dress code.... Again, sorry

picklefactory

Hello there, first post for me... And first cruise for that matter.

I've read all the faq's on dress code and it seems dark suit and tie is ok on formal nights. I don't personally like dark colors and the question I can't find an answer to is how strict they are on suit colour? I have no problem with a smart business suit and tie, but would I have code issues with a lighter colored suit as I don't currently own a dark one?

Thanks

I've read all the faq's on dress code and it seems dark suit and tie is ok on formal nights. I don't personally like dark colors and the question I can't find an answer to is how strict they are on suit colour? I have no problem with a smart business suit and tie, but would I have code issues with a lighter colored suit as I don't currently own a dark one?

Thanks

Um..difficult. depends on the ship. Some of them 90% on formal night will be in tux.. dinner suit..or dark suit. When you say lighter do you mean light grey that should be ok..some people say they wear navy.

Cream or white DJ?

That is the problem when they use words like Dark, what does it mean?

Stick a bow tie on and you should be OK. This would appear to be a 'grey' area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Definition:

suit noun (SET OF CLOTHES)

a jacket and trousers or a jacket and skirt that are made from the same material.

Nothing about the colour!

Only the P&O version of what is acceptable on a formal night is a dark suit.

You will find that mist men wear either a tux or dark suit but we have seen men wearing light grey and beige suits on formal nights having no problem at all. On our last cruise there were a number of men in the MDR on formal nights wearing smart jackets with dark trousers and ties. My other half always wears a tux that he bought from M&S for a very reasonable price a number of years ago when he decided that he really liked cruising after our first cruise. A number of people have posted in the past that you can buy a tux very inexpensively at Matalan if you decide that you would like to wear one but don't want to spend a lot of money for a one-off cruise.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise and don't worry about other people's opinions on your clothing.

Wow... Thanks for all the quick replies folks. My personal taste is for grey or grey/green, I just find dark colors a tad depressing. Don't particularly want to buy a suit I don't really like just for two meals on holiday. I wouldn't be looking at a John Travolta look though... White or cream is a tad 70's.

We'll be on the Aurora.

Edited by picklefactory

DaiB

P&O formal dress code also states a 'business suit'

So my £1150 light grey Armani business suit won't pass?

Don't worry, off on Cunard next, getting the white Tux out!

£11.50 for a suit, this Armani guy does he sell his gear in Primark?

:) :) :) :)

Edited by daiB

touché !

daiB, as a matter of interest, when did you start cruising on P&O, we started in 1995 and had a lot of enjoyable cruise on them, I think the old Arcadia was our favourite.

2001 on Aurora. Our 25th. It was to be a one off as you could not afford to cruise just when you liked and certainly not as much as every year.

Where did it all go wrong.

:) :) :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic Picklefactory. I think what most people are trying to say is that your first cruise is unlikely to be your last! I hope you realise just how addictive it becomes!

touché !

daiB, as a matter of interest, when did you start cruising on P&O, we started in 1995 and had a lot of enjoyable cruise on them, I think the old Arcadia was our favourite.

The old Arcadia was our favourite ship too. We first sailed on her in 1989 in her maiden season as Star Princess and then in 2004 when she was with P&O as Arcadia. I read last week that she is coming back to the UK next year and will be sailing as Cruise Maritime Columbus from Tilbury.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise and don't worry about other people's opinions on your clothing.

Thanks Josy, much appreciated...I never have worried too much about other people's opinions.... Life's too short. But I don't want my other half being embarrassed by me looking out of place, doesn't worry me at all.

[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks

We found my son a very nice and fashionable suit which was advertised as a dinner suit but which would also do for general smart wear (i.e. his prom, interviews) from Next for @ £100. Very well made and good quality fabric for the money, we thought. It's a sort of mid-grey (light slate I'd say), because he's very fair and dark suits washed him out.

Have seen plenty of people wearing lighter coloured suits on formal nights (pearl grey, cream linen) and don't know of anyone being refused entry to MDR or other venues.

We found my son a very nice and fashionable suit which was advertised as a dinner suit but which would also do for general smart wear (i.e. his prom, interviews) from Next for @ £100. Very well made and good quality fabric for the money, we thought. It's a sort of mid-grey (light slate I'd say), because he's very fair and dark suits washed him out.

Have seen plenty of people wearing lighter coloured suits on formal nights (pearl grey, cream linen) and don't know of anyone being refused entry to MDR or other venues.

Ooh...if I'm not likely to be standing out too much, then I might stick with one of my suits, they are all lighter greys or very light gray/olive. I really dislike dark suits...they make feel I'm going to a funeral. I have enough suits......just not dark ones.

Thanks groovechick

Welcome to Cruise Critic Picklefactory. I think what most people are trying to say is that your first cruise is unlikely to be your last! I hope you realise just how addictive it becomes!

Thanks Sharon.

The dress code is a factor that doesn't particularly appeal to me greatly, I'm not the greatest fan of uniformity...I hated wearing school uniform and have never recovered

[emoji51][emoji51][emoji6][emoji39]

Thanks Sharon.

The dress code is a factor that doesn't particularly appeal to me greatly, I'm not the greatest fan of uniformity...I hated wearing school uniform and have never recovered

[emoji51][emoji51][emoji6][emoji39]

Ah - but think how sexy James Bond looks in a tux !!

Thanks

Don't waste your money buying a dark suit that you won't wear beyond the cruise. As long as it's a suit, with a tie, you'll be fine. Probably considerably better than some of the cheapo DJs that people are forced to buy to comply with the daft outdated P&O 'formal dining' rules which have more to do with creating an illusion (to cover over their own inadequacies on the food and service) than anything else. It's all smoke and mirrors - the 'glam' façade covers over an awful lot!

I used to wear a DJ, but gave it up for a decent suit. Far more comfortable, far less pretentious, and perfectly acceptable. Nobody wants to see people sitting in trainers and T-Shirts, but your suit suggestions are very reasonable, and perfectly acceptable.

Thanks docco.

Glad to hear a like mind. I'm fully behind keeping things smart for a certain decorum, but I also want to feel sartorially comfortable too.

2 things - first of all welcome to CC. Great to have you with us.

Secondly - as Mrs Presto -- love the idea of the lighter suit and am sure you'll look great .......... but the DJ look really makes the men look very 'dashing' (for want of a better word) Hubby hated the idea on our first cruise and now loves the James Bond look ;) (And the Vodka Martinins!)

Not saying that you shouldn't do the lighter suit at all ........ but if there is a Mrs / Ms Picklefactory then she may prefer the darker one :):D

Whatever, have a great cruise.

PS. Have to ask re the name Picklefactory. That reminds me of a TV programme I watched when I was about 7. Curious re the name :) Obviously, you have no idea how old I am and vice versa, so am not sure if I have insulted you or not :D:D

Don't waste your money buying a dark suit that you won't wear beyond the cruise. As long as it's a suit, with a tie, you'll be fine. Probably considerably better than some of the cheapo DJs that people are forced to buy to comply with the daft outdated P&O 'formal dining' rules which have more to do with creating an illusion (to cover over their own inadequacies on the food and service) than anything else. It's all smoke and mirrors - the 'glam' façade covers over an awful lot!

I used to wear a DJ, but gave it up for a decent suit. Far more comfortable, far less pretentious, and perfectly acceptable. Nobody wants to see people sitting in trainers and T-Shirts, but your suit suggestions are very reasonable, and perfectly acceptable.

This is possibly the most observant and insightfully profound post I have ever read on this board. I truly hope you feel liberated by your choice and enjoy your cruises more for it [emoji4] For me it's all about personal choice, I would never criticise anyone's choice of dress or make assumptions about them on that basis; we are all on holiday! As a matter of genuine curiosity do you ever feel that other passengers treat you differently, or make assumptions about you as a result of your choice not to wear a DJ?

Edited by Florry

This is possibly the most observant and insightfully profound post I have ever read on this board. I truly hope you feel liberated by your choice and enjoy your cruises more for it [emoji4] For me it's all about personal choice, I would never criticise anyone's choice of dress or make assumptions about them on that basis; we are all on holiday! As a matter of genuine curiosity do you ever feel that other passengers treat you differently, or make assumptions about you as a result of your choice not to wear a DJ?

Never. Though I have no real way of knowing that, of course! Not that I'd be bothered either way. I take the line that it's the person wearing the clothes that counts - not the clothes. We Freedom Dine, meet different people every day, and it's never been an issue. I feel comfortable in a suit, I feel uncomfortable in a DJ (though I do have one) so it's a matter of feeling comfortable - and that includes the theatre after the meal.

I suppose it's a matter of personal confidence. Some people might feel their persona to be 'enhanced' by wearing a DJ, but I don't. P&O isn't exactly an 'upmarket' cruise operator, is it - I don't think anyone need bother about dressing up as a penguin for their benefit.

And my view on this is very clear. This is all about P&O - not their customers. It's simply P&O trying to create an illusion that the glory (and much more expensive) days of cruising are still with us. They want to cut their costs but keep their prices as high as they can get away with, and this is simply a means to an end. :)

Never. Though I have no real way of knowing that, of course! Not that I'd be bothered either way. I take the line that it's the person wearing the clothes that counts - not the clothes. We Freedom Dine, meet different people every day, and it's never been an issue. I feel comfortable in a suit, I feel uncomfortable in a DJ (though I do have one) so it's a matter of feeling comfortable - and that includes the theatre after the meal.

I suppose it's a matter of personal confidence. Some people might feel their persona to be 'enhanced' by wearing a DJ, but I don't. P&O isn't exactly an 'upmarket' cruise operator, is it - I don't think anyone need bother about dressing up as a penguin for their benefit.

And my view on this is very clear. This is all about P&O - not their customers. It's simply P&O trying to create an illusion that the glory (and much more expensive) days of cruising are still with us. They want to cut their costs but keep their prices as high as they can get away with, and this is simply a means to an end. :)

Of course the formal dress code does not include the theatre where the normal evening casual code applies. Some passengers just don't get this and on my last cruise were harassing the entertainment team about it. I was told they had a complaint, then the number of complaints kept increasing, probably because the original couple were going around moaning about it. On my last cruise it was interesting to see that the 'posh' bar Andersons was mostly empty with more staff than customers, except on formal night before dinner where they were all checking out each others plumage.

You might get the impression I am going off P&O, I am, the food can be cheap rubbish, xmas dinner with its Marco Pierre white name was awful. We had much better quality meals in our local country pubs. The entertainment team are run of their feet because there are less of them. All over you see the effects of cost saving although they try to cover it up. To cap it all they have now formalised the glass house bar, yes BAR, that was the original concept, a bar that served food in a casual setting. now it appears it is a restaurant and you have to wear a penguin suit on formal night. which genius came up with that one!. Lets make it formal and reduce the food sales - doh!

Still I am off on Thomson soon and I know that will be nice and relaxed as the formal dress code is advisory and only applies to the captains reception :D