Dr on board

holidayhelen

Hello My friend requires a seasickness injection from the dr on board. Does anyone know how soon we can see the Dr once we have boarded the ship? On her last cruise she could only have the injection on the 2nd day as she had had a drink once onboard - we are hoping she can see the Dr as soon as possible so we can then go and have a drink during the sailaway.

Thanks for any help

Hello My friend requires a seasickness injection from the dr on board. Does anyone know how soon we can see the Dr once we have boarded the ship? On her last cruise she could only have the injection on the 2nd day as she had had a drink once onboard - we are hoping she can see the Dr as soon as possible so we can then go and have a drink during the sailaway.

Thanks for any help

Once onboard I would walk down to the medical centre and see if there is anyone there., and discuss with them. I think there should be someone there then.

If you can not have the injection after alcohol ,how can you have injection then alcohol? just interested.

Has she tried the tablets that a lot of people use, or the sea bands,or ginger.

I guess its just me but I would go for the above, rather than a £60 injection.

I have been told by another passenger that the doctor would not give an injection until the passenger had tried the tablets. This did mean that it would be at least the 2nd day as the tablets would not take affect if still tied up waiting to leave. !!!:)

Should add the only time I have been to med centre, first full sea day of the cruise and I woke up feeling "funny". Spent most of the day feeling "funny" . Finally wandered down to med centre (they said I was seasick, never have been before or since, which is why I didn't know what it was!)

The options I was given was expensive injection or going to reception and getting a tablet from them for £2. I went for the tablet.

Since then I have taken seasickness tablets with me every time and never needed them at all.

Try the tablets first as if they work for you it will save a lot of money.

I take a supply of Stugeron with me and check out what the expected sea state will be. I used to use Travel-eeze because you could take them when you started feeling sick but they don't seem to be available any more :(

I think you will find the injection is Promethazine, which I later discovered you can (could?) buy over the counter as tablets in Boots. Check it goes with any meds first though.

Thanks for any help

I simply take the candied ginger lumps from Holland and Barrett, chew a few big bits of these and everything you eat stays Southbound.

If your friend can only survive with the injection, can she not seek this from her own GP a day before she boards?

Regards John

I think you will find the injection is Promethazine, which I later discovered you can (could?) buy over the counter as tablets in Boots. Check it goes with any meds first though.

It's also known as Phenergan and is my number 2 choice when things get lumpy.

If it's forecast to be bumpy (up to about 25' waves, force 10 or so) I take Meclizine (Bonine) which has no side effects on me even if I've had a drink or two.

If it's forecast to be quite rough (30 foot waves or bigger) and I can take a break I take Phenergan tablets, which is the same medication as that injected in the buttocks.

Like all anti-puke drugs taken by mouth they must be taken at least an hour before things get interesting. Otherwise holding them down can be impossible and that means an injection is required. I'm a weather geek so I don't get caught out.

The only side effect Phenergan has for me is that the knock me out for about 7 or 8 hours which can be a real plus..... and the anti-puke effect works for about 24 hours for me. Phenergan isn't usually the first choice nowadays because it does make many people drowsy, in fact it can be used as a sedative. But it is extremely effective and it is still given to spaceflight crew who suffer from space sickness.

VP

Edited to add: The folks in a nearby cabin resorted to ginger on one tranAtlantic.... the woman was so ill that the Doc. was visiting her twice a day, injected her in the bum and made sure she was hydrated. It took her three days before she was cleared - but on the plus side, the injection gave her a bit of a bruise on her bum which she for some reason enjoyed showing people.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Someone once suggested to me to take tablets a day or 2 before your cruise to get it into your system and then the first day or two onboard. Only ever did it the first year and thankfully not had many problems since. I agree with the ginger (or the ginger biscuits in your cabin) and I also found getting outside on to the prom deck helped me on Oceana once, midships of course :)

I think you will find the injection is Promethazine, which I later discovered you can (could?) buy over the counter as tablets in Boots.

Lloyds Pharmacy own brand tablets are Promethazine Teoclate - The information leaflet is here - https://www.drugs.com/uk/pdf/leaflet/743805.pdf

My wife suffers badly from travel sickness, but took these on last summer's cruise around Iceland where the sea was a bit 'bumpy' at times. She had no problems with sea sickness at all, and no apparent side effects.

They are the type of tablets that prevent sea sickness, rather than the type that deal with sea sickness. So you take one the night before you travel, and then one every night on the voyage. You don't wait until you are sea sick to take one.

And at £2.30 for 10 (and buy one, get one 1/2 price at the moment), they are a lot cheaper than seeing the ship's doctor.

also, unless you know it's going to be rough, why not just try either the ginger or a tablet the day before you go. It might be like a millpond. If you get it into your head you are going to feel seasick, then you will. A lot of it is in the mind as well.

There is also the option of the patch behind the ear, it delivers a steady dose of the drug over 3 days.

Some people do suffer from unpleasant side effects so it's best to try it before you travel. It has to be prescribed anyway, so a chat with a GP to see if it would be suitable is a must.

I seem to be getting increasingly travel sick (possibly due to other medication I take) and nothing was doing the trick. I tried various tablets (prescribed and otherwise), wrist bands, ginger and a concoction that I had to dab behind my ear but none of them did any good.

My GP was very happy to prescribe the patch and I am fortunate that I don't get any side effects other than a dry mouth. I haven't had any very rough seas yet but I'm sure they will come!