man kicked off for smoking? any truth?

It was reported in the UK's Daily Mail yesterday, but it was on a P&O Australia ship and not one of the U.K fleet. Reading the story there has to be more to it, but you makes your own mind up. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3646596/Man-kicked-P-O-cruise-Bali-flicking-cigarette-butt-side.html?offset=600&max=100&jumpTo=comment-130037073#comment-130037073

Yes the captain and cruise line have the option disembarking any passenger that breaks the rules in "Carriage Contract". If it was a port with poor transportation options . They might delay until the next port with good transportation options. The passenger could be confined to their cabin until they can be disembarked safely.

I've heard of passengers disembarked in Caribbean ports for not following the rules.

Edited by Kamloops50

The post has a lot of discrepancies and the daughter who posted it made the media in Australia last year with tales of nearly having died after a botched operation in Thailand. Seems the family is prone to being a victim. As Zippy99 says ' you makes your own mind up'.

The Captain did right IMHO, but HappyTraveller please note that the passenger was not kicked off for smoking, but for casting his cigarette butt over the side.

Edited by Scriv

please note that the passenger was not kicked off for smoking, but for casting his cigarette butt over the side.

I bet the passenger was really kicked off due to their reaction to being told off for smoking and throwing their butts over the side.

what other things could get one booted from a ship?[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on Ventura last year when a family was removed because of their rowdy, aggressive behaviour.

A number of years ago the people in the next cabin to us were confined to their cabin for the last 3 days of the cruise because their son had pushed another boy down some stairs. We talked to them on the balcony and they told us that they had been told that if we had not been on the home leg of the journey then they would have been put off the ship because they had been told earlier to keep the son with them at all times because of his bad behaviour.

It would not surprise me if there is more to this story than what has been made public. However, caught red handed he can't complain.

I smoke, but always use the smoking areas provided.

It would not surprise me if there is more to this story than what has been made public. However, caught red handed he can't complain.

I smoke, but always use the smoking areas provided.

It wasn't the smoking that was the issue. It was flicking the butt over the side and showing no remorse.

On Celebrity, if you get caught smoking in a non approved area you get a warning. Second occasion you are given a serious ticking off followed by a written warning, third time you are fined $250. If you persist, you are disembarked at the next port.

Discarding a cigarette over the side is far more serious, smoker's need to remember the Star Princess back in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFr6OF8eneg

Smoking should be banded on cruise ships as Airplane - risks are too high.

what other things could get one booted from a ship?[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

A family were "offloaded" at the next port for stealing from the on-board shop. They have CCTV cameras.

On Celebrity, if you get caught smoking in a non approved area you get a warning. Second occasion you are given a serious ticking off followed by a written warning, third time you are fined $250. If you persist, you are disembarked at the next port.

Discarding a cigarette over the side is far more serious, smoker's need to remember the Star Princess back in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFr6OF8eneg

Smoking should be banded on cruise ships as Airplane - risks are too high.

Banning smoking completely on ships is many many years away. It is far safer to restrict where smoking is allowed. If it was banned there will always be 1 person who will sneak a cig somewhere, not put it out properly (because there is no where to dispose of it safely) and then cause a fire.

On Oceana a couple of cruises ago there were some very lucky cruisers. The man got drunk and when he was refused service at the bar he kicked off. The captain gave them two options. No more alchohol served to them and no drunkenness or leave the ship at the next port. They chose option one.

Fighting, unwanted sexual advances, throwing things like loungers overboard, underage drinking, supplying alcohol to minors, refusing to attend the muster drill, trying to climb on the lifeboats.

Basically, anything that might get you in trouble on land plus violating ship's safety rules.

I have seen a couple do the walk of shame. They had a row with each other which resulted in the cabin being smashed up.

On another cruise a family of four were off loaded as the parents allowed the underage kids get drunk and cause problems.

Not wishing to get into a debate about smoking on cruise ships, but P&O and Princess are part of the same company yet have different smoking policy. On the Caribbean Princess there is an inside bar which you can smoke in. But, on P&O there are no such bars. It makes me wonder how two cruise lines that are part of the same company can have different rules and how do they justify it.

Edited by tokyo

we were on our last port at La Coruna when two families were put off the ship for fighting in the theatre, they were in the front rows and we had left by then but were told about it by someone who had seen them and someone else who watched their luggage being offloaded

Not wishing to get into a debate about smoking on cruise ships, but P&O and Princess are part of the same company yet have different smoking policy. On the Caribbean Princess there is an inside bar which you can smoke in. But, on P&O there are no such bars. It makes me wonder how two cruise lines that are part of the same company can have different rules and how do they justify it.

P&O are considered to be British (even though they are part of Carnival) and British nicotine addicts are used to being made to stand outside in the rain.

Princess are not, and the addicts who book with them expect more comfortable surroundings, and would vote with their feet if they were not provided.

Fighting, unwanted sexual advances, throwing things like loungers overboard, underage drinking, supplying alcohol to minors, refusing to attend the muster drill, trying to climb on the lifeboats.

Basically, anything that might get you in trouble on land plus violating ship's safety rules.

On the trans Atlantic I did, jumping overboard half way across was the reason. They did get him back after 2hrs in the water at 5am - confined to medical centre and cabin until we reached BVI then 6 policemen turned up and frogmarched him off....

On the trans Atlantic I did, jumping overboard half way across was the reason. They did get him back after 2hrs in the water at 5am - confined to medical centre and cabin until we reached BVI then 6 policemen turned up and frogmarched him off....

I read on Trans Atlantic the cruise ship diverted towards Bermuda . A helicopter flew out and medivaced the passenger. They considered to to crazy and was sent to a hospital in Bermuda. His wife had to stay on board until the ship docked in Europe.

I read on Trans Atlantic the cruise ship diverted towards Bermuda . A helicopter flew out and medivaced the passenger. They considered to to crazy and was sent to a hospital in Bermuda. His wife had to stay on board until the ship docked in Europe.

maybe on a diff occasion but not for Ventura in Oct 2011. He just got pissed refused service threatened to jump off if they didn't serve him, they didn't he did at 330am ish, one of the fellow passengers in his "party" saw him do it and reported to the crew immediately. we had a man overboard wake up call from the Officer of the watch.... I rolled over and went back to sleep after answering the wife that yes at this time of the morning it wasn't as exercise....