Typhoid Fever vaccine

BonnieVA

Since we've kind of hijacked the hapatitis thread I wanted to start one about typhoid vaccination. It's not talked about as much here on CC & I'm not sure why.

We're stopping at Belize & Guatemala next month w/ our kids & will be going on long excursions which include meals. The CDC recommends the vaccine to central American travellers; other web sites recommend it only if you're there for extended periods. One nurse I spoke to recommended typhoid vacc; another was somewhat surprised when I brought it up. So now I'M confused.

DH feels like the tour ops take measures to ensure the food is safe. I say "who knows".

I am having a hard time figuring out just how prevalent typhoid is in these countries. Is it a minimal risk or great? My 16 yr old suggested we just not eat on the excursions. Would we be pretty safe if we only ate cooked food (no raw fruits/veggies)?

So what have the rest of you done, especially those who ate in these countries? What are you hearing from your doctors & nurses? I do know that the vaccine doesn't guarantee protection, either - it only has something like a 65-75% protection rate.

I realize you are not medical professionals ... just looking to hear your thoughts & decisions YOU made (& why).

Thanks!

For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours, and you're generally in "urban" settings. You aren't required to get any vaccinations.

Now, if you were staying for days in the "wilds" of a typhoid-rich country, it would be prudent to have protection. You don't need it on a cruise.

We travel a lot by land and just had ours yesterday.

and we do so every 2 years.

Even as a cruise passenger, I would still do it.

It's a fine line between required and recommended

I would read the link above and more importantly check with your doctor.

The shot took seconds it was done at 2pm on Friday, my arm is sensitive and will be for another day. that's all there is to it.

I would also make sure your tetanus shot is updated, along

with your HEP A and HEP B.

We doing an Amazon cruise and it's been recommended to get yellow fever shots, along with Hep A & B. I'd rather get the shots and have peace of mind than worry and wonder about whether I might catch something potentially deadly. Even if the rate is not 100%, it does offer some protection.

As for food on an excursion, I think you are pretty safe - they work hard to make sure folks don't get sick (or hurt) on a cruise excursion, at least with Princess, and carefully monitor the food.

Charlie

Mosquitoes cause Malaria. Typhoid is from food and water.

If one decides to get Typhoid protection, ask about live virus Typhoid pills -- one takes 4 pills (in all) one every other day. The Typhoid protection from the pills is for 5 years as compared to 2-years from the vaccination. Just got it last month for a land trip.

For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours,

If one decides to get Typhoid protection, ask about live virus Typhoid pills -- one takes 4 pills (in all) one every other day. The Typhoid protection from the pills is for 5 years as compared to 2-years from the vaccination. Just got it last month for a land trip.

Taking a live virus vaccine scares me :o. I have tried to research the likelihood of contracting the illness by taking the live vaccine but I have found nothing. Maybe that means you can't get the virus from the vaccine? Do you happen to know if the live vaccine is less expensive than the intramuscular?

The Hospital Travel Clinic (CPMC) that I went to charged me exactly the same. In fact, they billed for vaccination although I chose pills. I think that their computer is not set up to bill for pills. The pills have to be kept refrigerated. There were no side effects. I chose it because of the 5 year protection. The literature said it was minimum 5 years and normally it was 6 or more.

Do you happen to know if the live vaccine is less expensive than the intramuscular?

First, cruising the Amazon is very different from other places, and Brazil requires yellow fever vaccines. You probably want to look at anti-malaria pills for that area also.

I've cruised all over the world, to some pretty exotic places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and all over Africa and I've never gotten typhoid vaccines. Hep A and B, most definitely yes, but I've never worried about typhoid. Now, if you or anyone in your family has a compromised immune system, then definitely I would think about typhoid, but believe me, cruise lines are not going to put their passengers in harms way by allowing them to go to places where they would get typhoid. And, with a little bit of common sense, like not drinking anything but bottled water, not using local ice, and not eating fresh fruits or vegetables including salads, you're going to be fine. I've been to Belize and Guatemala many times, ate the local food, and only drank bottled water and I've not had a problem.

But, you have to be the one to decide what's best for your family.

Google: vivotif berna vaccine for information about Typhoid pills.

I should have had my physician prescribe it instead of having the Travel Clinic give it. Cost would have much lower. Although my insurance covers it and it was pre-authorized, initially for some reason they are questioning the payment.

I've cruised all over the world, to some pretty exotic places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and all over Africa and I've never gotten typhoid vaccines. Hep A and B, most definitely yes, but I've never worried about typhoid. Now, if you or anyone in your family has a compromised immune system, then definitely I would think about typhoid, but believe me, cruise lines are not going to put their passengers in harms way by allowing them to go to places where they would get typhoid. And, with a little bit of common sense, like not drinking anything but bottled water, not using local ice, and not eating fresh fruits or vegetables including salads, you're going to be fine. I've been to Belize and Guatemala many times, ate the local food, and only drank bottled water and I've not had a problem.

Good to hear that!

Google: vivotif berna vaccine for information about Typhoid pills.

I should have had my physician prescribe it instead of having the Travel Clinic give it. Cost would have much lower. Although my insurance covers it and it was pre-authorized, initially for some reason they are questioning the payment.

Whoa! For real? You can actually buy this stuff from reputable online stores?!?! Even w/ shipping it's much cheaper than our local health clinic.

But still not sure we're game on the typhoid. Still thinking about it. Thanks for the info.

For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours, and you're generally in "urban" settings. You aren't required to get any vaccinations.

Now, if you were staying for days in the "wilds" of a typhoid-rich country, it would be prudent to have protection. You don't need it on a cruise.

Typhoid is not caused by getting a mosquito bite.

Hi ...

yesterday my DH was offered the typhoid pills BUT I couldn't take them because of other medicince I take.

She said the side effects for him would be nausea, headache and being lethargic.

He opted to stick with the shot as neither of us had any side effects before AND it keeps us on the same vaccination schedule for future

trips (also easier to remember when we had each one done)

It has now been 24 hours and my arm is still sensitive, if my bra strap slips down it hurts..and it's hard to raise my arm above my shoulder..

I expect it to be like this for one more day.

I think any Pharmacy can get the pills with a prescription from your MD. And no one has to administer it like being vaccinated.

Good to hear that!

Whoa! For real? You can actually buy this stuff from reputable online stores?!?! Even w/ shipping it's much cheaper than our local health clinic.

Hi ...

yesterday my DH was offered the typhoid pills BUT I couldn't take them because of other medicince I take.

She said the side effects for him would be nausea, headache and being lethargic.

He opted to stick with the shot as neither of us had any side effects before AND it keeps us on the same vaccination schedule for future

trips (also easier to remember when we had each one done)

It has now been 24 hours and my arm is still sensitive, if my bra strap slips down it hurts..and it's hard to raise my arm above my shoulder..

I expect it to be like this for one more day.

Thanks for keeping us updated! I'm curious to know - did she give the likelihood of those side effects for the oral pills? The web sites I've been to make it seem slight.

I think any Pharmacy can get the pills with a prescription from your MD. And no one has to administer it like being vaccinated.

Hmm, I just assumed you had to go to a travel clinic. I wish I could get the Hep A shots from a pharmacy & avoid the office visit fees, which bring the cost up so high for 6 of us! I've never given shots before but my Mom is an RN ... she could do it ;).

The Hospital Travel Clinic (CPMC) that I went to charged me exactly the same. In fact, they billed for vaccination although I chose pills. I think that their computer is not set up to bill for pills. The pills have to be kept refrigerated. There were no side effects. I chose it because of the 5 year protection. The literature said it was minimum 5 years and normally it was 6 or more.

The typhoid pills are considered an oral vaccine, just like the oral polio vaccine. They are sometimes marketed with the name "Vaccine in a Capsule" on the box.

I wonder if there are any statistics on how many people that visit these places get typhoid?

Think of all the cruise ships that go to those ports in a year.

I've wondered the same thing but didn't want to ASK. I mean, how many people would jump up & say, "Yea, I got typhoid (or Hep A)!"? But doing a poll is anonymous so maybe people would respond.

Time for your typhoid shot update..

for those that didn't read my post

We had typhoid shots at 2pm on Friday..

I have now regained all mobility..I could wash my long hair and dry it today..without wincing.

It is sensitive when my bra strap slips down, but that's about it.

I wanted to add this tip.

I'm left handed and did get it in my left arm..

there were 2 reasons for that...

1. it would force me to be moving my arm which you are suppose to do.

2. when DH and I snuggle I lay on my right side, and we're big snugglers!:)

Regarding the side effects on the oral vaccine...

when the nurse was explaining it, it seemed like it would be most likely he would have a headache and nausea..not a remote possibility.

The only side effect we had with the shots is not sleeping as sound because you roll on your arm and wake up going OW!

Be safe and Be healthy...don't play the odds..these aren't diseases you really want to take a chance on..IMHO

Archived