Grrr.... Delta changed our connections

MMR555

Hi Everyone, we are looking forward to our first cruise on the Escape on Dec 5th. We planned this trip almost a year ago. I booked my flights early because we got such a great deal (BOS to MIA for $200.11 each round trip). I usually fly direct because I hate the landing. :)

When I booked our flights I specifically booked flights so we would have at least 1.5 hour layover in JFK, but Delta has changed a couple of times and now we have only 45 minutes to change planes! For you seasoned travelers, is this enough time to change planes and will our luggage get there with us?

Luckily we are flying in the day before because I listened to your advice! I'm sure it will all work out... it's just frustrating that I tried so hard to keep everything as stress free as possible and now I'm wishing I had a direct flight!

Martha

Whenever the airline has changed a booked itinerary like that I've been successful in calling and getting an itinerary more to my preference. Do some homework before calling so you know what you can ask for, and don't put off calling too long.

You can call Delta and find out what gate you're most likely to be landing at and what gate you're taking off from. If you have to change terminals, despite the fact that airlines say the minimum amount of time you need to change flights is 45 minutes, for JFK, that's not a lot of time. That airport is SO crowded and getting between terminals can take a long time. If you know your flight numbers, there are a number of Apps that can give you information about the history of your flights, where they gate every day, and the on time performance.

Have you checked Delta's website? Anytime they've changed my times, I've checked their flights and been able to change (no charge) to a flight that works better for me. Usually on the confirmation when you pull it up it has a note that times have changed and that you may qualify to make a change.

Unfortunately, this is the norm for Delta, American and United! These airlines (and most others) allow bookings 330 days in advance. But because of their routine schedule changes it is less likely then not that your flights will actually be what you booked. In fact, DW and I often fly Delta and have NEVER had a Delta itinerary stay the same when we booked more then 6 months in advance. NEVER! The only airline that seems to consistently honor their schedule is Southwest (perhaps this is why they are very popular). Unlike most other airlines (JetBlue is another exception) SW does not allow 330 day forward bookings.

As an aside on Delta, last year they so screwed up our already booked flights that at one point they had us arriving in ATL (from Mexico City) 1 1/2 hours after the flight they had us on to MDT! When I called Delta (fortunately we noticed the change) their reservations agent simply explained that they had computer problems with flights from Mexico! The clerk was very nice, made the necessary changes, and even got us excellent seats as a consolation prize. On another occasion, Delta stranded us in Atlanta for 2 days (and nights) at our own expense because their flight was late, we missed a Delta connection as a result, and Delta simply blamed the weather (which had nothing to do with the delay). A subsequent snowstorm (which dumped 2 INCHES of snow at ATL) shut down the busiest airport in the world for 2 days. Only a minor snowstorm, but Delta (and ATL) do not have the necessary de-icing equipment at ATL to handle even a minor snow fall or icing situation.

Hank

When Delta changed our flight we called them. And had it changed to a time that was more satisfactory for us. There was no change fee or other charge since they'd been the one changing the flight time first. So phone them and see what you can work out.

Over the years we have gotten used to US Airways (now owned by American), Delta and American changing our flights. We call and get other flights.

On our most recent flight on American, we were delayed 1 hour and 15 minutes before they engine number 2 started. Glad we had a 2 1/2 hour layover in Charlotte.

45 minute between flights -- no way. We have had far too many things happen to allow such a short time between flights.

We fly Delta all the time, and they are notorious for changing their reservations closer to the flight date.

However, if you log onto Delta.com, it specifically says that if you are not happy with the changes made you can call and speak with a delta representative and they will work with you. It says that right next to the alert that says your reservation changed. Please call them, they will work with you. We have had to call them before...

If a flight is changed by more than 90 mins....there is no penalty or fee to cancel or change.
INCORRECT.

There is no blanket rule, and each airline has their own policies and procedures. To make such a general statement is not serving the readers.

The true answer is....call the airline and ask. Have possible alternatives ready to suggest to the agent. Remember that they will not displace a currently booked passenger to give you their space on the aircraft, so be sure your alternatives have inventory available. Realize that seat purchases, say for preferred seating or some kind of "plus" legroom may not be transferable nor refundable.

In other words....YMMV. Good luck.

Thank you everyone. I'll call Delta and see if they have anything else available. We are traveling with another couple so would need 4 seats and the "restrictions apply" states if you are delayed you might be able to change. We aren't being delayed, they changed it to a shorter layover.

Again, thank you for your help.

This happened to me on American. I had three changes and the last one I didn't even know about until I went to put in my info for my dec 26 cruise check in and it was incorrect. They had us with a 25 minute layover in Toronto from MIA. Crrrrazy how they have to quality control as that's not even a realistic timeframe whatsoever. Customs is in Toronto as well and takes a nice chunk of time. Now we lose half our last day in Miami, have to fly to Houston and then to Canada with a 60 minute plane change on one of the busiest days of the year (Jan 3). Kind of ridiculous. I booked this in June so right at the 6 month mark. I've wasted so much time on the phone with them since. And of course, no courtesy of offer to make it up to us.

Dealing with shorter layovers can be a little frustrating. The airlines will generally cite their "Minimum Connection Time" which varies by airline and terminal. But as a general rule, Delta uses 35 -45 min for domestic connections (Delta to Delta) which goes to a longer period if the connection is International and means having to clear immigration. So when you call the airline the reservations clerk will immediately check this time requirement and if you meet the requirement they will cite it and explain that "you have nothing to worry about." At that point you can press your point, explaining that you are flying to a cruise and are nervous about the short connection time, and the reservations clerk usually has the discretion to change your flights with no penalty. If they refuse you can politely ask for the issue to upgraded to a supervisor (you usually get more with honey so be polite) and perhaps you will get lucky.

Hank

I travelled on Delta extensively earlier this year with many connecting flights. San Francisco to Seattle to Anchorage was one with a 40 minute layover, and we ended up waiting about 10 minutes to board the Seattle to Anchorage flight. Luggage all made it through with us.

Another Delta segment was Vancouver to Seattle to Detroit to Buffalo, 45 minute layover in Seattle and 40 minute layover in Detroit and again, made it all with time to spare and luggage came through the whole way, only saw it at the end.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the short connection times but it all worked out. Just do what's comfortable, if you're not happy with it then approach Delta and see what other arrangements they can offer you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tazza_0712

For my cruise a couple weeks ago, we flew from BOS to MSY with a 45 min layover in ATL. I was stressing the whole time, not so much about us missing our connecting flight, but that our luggage wouldn't make it on the second flight. Fortunately we ended up landing a half hour early, so we had plenty of time in between. Of course, this was Southwest, and from my experience, they are often early. Anyway, good luck! Hope your works out for you as well!

Edited by bakersdozen12

Just for FYI...at major hubs, the baggage operations are quite efficient. Like snow removal, they know what has to be done and they're experienced.

FWIW, if flying DL, use their app to track your bags. All bags get scanned as they are loaded on your aircraft and you can be sitting in your seat and have the peace of mine of knowing it's in the hold underneath you. Or, if they do miss, you have that knowledge before you are standing around the carousel wasting time waiting. Great feature of their app - don't know if UA and AA have anything similar.

Just for FYI...at major hubs, the baggage operations are quite efficient. Like snow removal, they know what has to be done and they're experienced.

FWIW, if flying DL, use their app to track your bags. All bags get scanned as they are loaded on your aircraft and you can be sitting in your seat and have the peace of mine of knowing it's in the hold underneath you. Or, if they do miss, you have that knowledge before you are standing around the carousel wasting time waiting. Great feature of their app - don't know if UA and AA have anything similar.

I downloaded the delta app so I can track my flight and luggage. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

UA and AA don't. :mad:

I actually just had one of these flight changes work out for me. I will be flying from San Jose Costa Rica to Las Vegas. The only airline that flies that route is American. When I checked my options, I had only 2 choices - leave at 6:20 AM or leave at 8:00 AM. The price difference was only $40 more for the later flight so I picked it.

I am in the process of booking and paying for my ticket and when I click to pay, I get a message that the ticket price has gone up $60 in the time it took me to complete the booking paperwork. I was willing to pay $40 per person for the later booking but not $100. Also, I was really annoyed at American for raising the price $60 while I was completing my reservation. I could see them doing it i was just staring at the screen and deciding if I wanted the flight but not after I clicked on "select".

So I decided that the 6:20 departure would work and booked it. Today I get an e-mail from American that my flight has been changed and I am now booked on the later preferred flight at the earlier preferred cost. I guess that I won this one.

Go figure.

DON