Cove Balcony Vs. Regular Balcony

jerday

Going to book Carnival Breeze for June 2012 RT Barcelona. Debating between cove balcony and regular balcony. It seems neat to be so close to the water level that the cove balcony offers. Also seems like you've got a lot more privacy with the cove balcony compared to a regular balcony cabin. I have you tubed "cove balcony" and saw some great video footage.

Has anyone sailed with a cove balcony? I would love feedback from anyone. Positive and negative. Thanks so much! :D

We loved our cove balcony on the Dream last week. It was awesome being so close to the water. The view was alot better than a regular balcony because you don't have to look through the dirty plexiglass. I had no desire to see the decks below when I looked out so thats why we originally booked the cove. I'm so glad that we did. It was a win win. A better view for a cheaper price. I say go for the cove!

We had a Dream cove and we loved it being close to the water, center of the ship, cheaper cabins, deeper than the regular cabins. :p We are looking at the Breeze in 2013 and we are definitely booking a cove balcony again. :D

Going to book Carnival Breeze for June 2012 RT Barcelona. Debating between cove balcony and regular balcony. It seems neat to be so close to the water level that the cove balcony offers. Also seems like you've got a lot more privacy with the cove balcony compared to a regular balcony cabin. I have you tubed "cove balcony" and saw some great video footage.

Has anyone sailed with a cove balcony? I would love feedback from anyone. Positive and negative. Thanks so much! :D

DW and I had a Cove Balcony on our Dream cruise and loved it. Being that close to the water was wonderful.

We've got a cove booked for the Breeze for April 2013. My folks surprised me with it, as we've never booked a balcony before. You won't get as much sun in the cove as on a regular balcony, but that's no big deal to us. And for you, on a very port-intensive European cruise, that shouldn't be a big deal to you. And as others have mentioned, regular balconies don't have as much privacy, as people on the lanai (deck 5) can look up at all those balconies. I don't think I've heard much negative at all about the coves, except for the rare occasions when they lock guests out of the balconies when the waves get really high. That's rare, and probably won't happen in the Mediterranean. Have a great cruise! I'm so jealous!

Has anyone found being that close to the water at all unsettling? We have never gotten sea sick on a big ship but my son had a bit of trouble on a catamaran excursion and I am wondering if being that close to the water would bother him....

Has anyone found being that close to the water at all unsettling? We have never gotten sea sick on a big ship but my son had a bit of trouble on a catamaran excursion and I am wondering if being that close to the water would bother him....

I did start feeling a little sick on a catamaran excursion, but the best thing to do is to look out over the water and allow your brain to reconcile what the body is feeling with what you're seeing. The brain then knows it can turn off the nausea switch. It worked for me there. You can also do that from a cove balcony. Of course, this wouldn't help with any psychological effect of being close to the water. In theory, lower places on the ship experience less motion, and deck 2 is almost as low as you can get. Also, get as close to mid-ship as possible.

We had a cove on our Dream Med cruse and it was blocked off one evening due to the weather. We missed Barcelona and went directly to Monte Carlo for an overnight instead. Even if you had a regular balcony, you wouldn't have been using that either that day. We enjoyed it and have one booked again on the Dream this October.

We had a cove on our Dream Med cruse and it was blocked off one evening due to the weather. We missed Barcelona and went directly to Monte Carlo for an overnight instead. Even if you had a regular balcony, you wouldn't have been using that either that day. We enjoyed it and have one booked again on the Dream this October.

I had originally been worried about having the balcony inaccessible in inclement weather. But then i realized, and you've confirmed it, that if it's bad enough they 'lock it down' that you wouldn't be out on your regular balcony anyway.

AND the bonus to that is, if it's really bad, you can stand there at your window and watch the waves/water spray splashing onto your balcony. How cool is that?

Everything that you said about a Cove is true... There is one downside, however... the cabins are located directly below the lifeboats so the view skyward is obstructed...

Dream020.jpg

Dream023.jpg

Dream063.jpg

All in all, it's not enough of an issue to keep me from booking another one! They're fantastic!!!

:)

LOVED the cove balcony..The ONLY drawback I had was since the cabin was on deck 2 you had to go upstairs for EVERYTHING...although getting off the ship for port calls was wonderful...

I've already booked another cove for the Magic next yr...

Can someone tell me if the dividers between cove balconies can be opened? (as on upper decks?). Considering booking 2 cove balconies for family cruise and wondering if we can open the dividers? (we did this on the Miracle and it was great!). Otherwise I guess we can try and get two 'adjoining' cabins!

Can someone tell me if the dividers between cove balconies can be opened? (as on upper decks?). Considering booking 2 cove balconies for family cruise and wondering if we can open the dividers? (we did this on the Miracle and it was great!). Otherwise I guess we can try and get two 'adjoining' cabins!

great question........

Okay, so how do you all reckon they would be for a Transatlantic? We're looking at the Breeze next year for the last Mediterranean run followed by the Transatlantic (and maybe the Bahamas two nighter just for stamps!), and are seriously considering a midships cove balcony for the whole trip. Shouldn't be a problem in the open ocean?

Archived