Has Azamara lost your bag on arrival at the end of cruise

Thameside

We arrived in Mumbai last Friday 12th May and after leaving our three bags outside our room on the evening before only received two of them in arrivals area. We had private arrangements and left the ship fairly early. After searching everywhere and nearly two hours later, there was no sign of it. I eventually got to fill in a Personal property report, with their agents, for the missing bag but had to leave the port to catch our flight. On return home I rang Royal Caribbean to enquire about my bag. I am finding it very difficult to communicate with them and am getting no information with regard to the tracing of it. Has anyone had a similar experience.

We had a similar experience in Southampton on an RCI ship when we couldn't find my Father in Laws case in the baggage hall. There was a similar one left on its own, so we took that and hunted down the person that had taken his. Luckily we found him with it seated in the arrivals area and convinced him he had the wrong case despite the label clearly showing my Father in Laws name!

We also had BA fail to carry our cases to Nice last year along with all the other passengers. We were fortunate that we had a 4 day break there, and the bags arrived at our hotel the next day. Wasn't a very nice experience and we did get some compensation from them.

We hope yours turns up, sounds like someone else mistook your case for theirs.

Fortunately it did not happen to us, that the bag went lost, but ours was taken to an area for unidentified luggage. Apparently the tags disappeared.

If possible we prefer to take our luggage ourselves. Not very beques but at least we have it with us.

Last year, Celebrity lost a lady's suitcase....on embarking day and never retrieved it until the end of the 12 days cruise! Don't know what happened after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have had lost bags on a flight before a cruise. We flew Iberia from Manchester to Santiago via Madrid. The 4 of us made it to Santiago, but our luggage didn't. We had 2 nights in Santiago before our cruise started. When we reported the cases missing they asked us what our address would be for the next few days - when we said on a cruise from the day after tomorrow, they just kept saying yes, but what's your address going to be!

There was one flight a day and the cases weren't put on the next days flight - they arrived the day after, about an hour before we were due to leave for Valparaiso to join the cruise ( and it was HAL which has formal nights!).

Iberia told us we could spend E50 to buy essentials - we spent an hour or two searching for things like toothbrushes and toothpaste, razors, knickers etc. It took a long struggle and about six months when we got back to get the money out of them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

About a year ago, a poster on the Celebrity Forum had the same problem. Can't remember the outcome, but the hope for the most likely and benign cause was someone else taking the luggage by mistake.

This is a good reminder to redouble efforts to make our suitcases truly distinguishable if not downright ugly. Or take them off ourselves in the morning.

We arrived in Mumbai last Friday 12th May and after leaving our three bags outside our room on the evening before only received two of them in arrivals area. We had private arrangements and left the ship fairly early. After searching everywhere and nearly two hours later, there was no sign of it. I eventually got to fill in a Personal property report, with their agents, for the missing bag but had to leave the port to catch our flight. On return home I rang Royal Caribbean to enquire about my bag. I am finding it very difficult to communicate with them and am getting no information with regard to the tracing of it. Has anyone had a similar experience.

I'm so sorry Thameside! When you say you 'rang Royal Caribbean', do you mean Azamara? And was it the UK office you called?

If not, send an email to our UK MD Richard Twynam. He is very responsive!

rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

Your post title is not accurate. Most like Azamara did not lose your bag but someone either accidentally or purposely took it. There are no controls or checks at the luggage area to make sure that everyone takes the correct bag.

I actually accidentally took someone else's bag once from an airport. I landed at Anchorage and grabbed my sort of unique looking bag. When I got to the motel, I found that it was someone else's bag. I am not sure if it was my fault or not because I can't remember if there was another bag the same as mine on the carousal or not.

The next day both of us returned the bags to the airport and things got sorted out. However without more information, I would not blame the airline for the error and then post a message on the airline site blaming them for the problem.

DON

Your post title is not accurate. Most like Azamara did not lose your bag but someone either accidentally or purposely took it. There are no controls or checks at the luggage area to make sure that everyone takes the correct bag.

I actually accidentally took someone else's bag once from an airport. I landed at Anchorage and grabbed my sort of unique looking bag. When I got to the motel, I found that it was someone else's bag. I am not sure if it was my fault or not because I can't remember if there was another bag the same as mine on the carousal or not.

The next day both of us returned the bags to the airport and things got sorted out. However without more information, I would not blame the airline for the error and then post a message on the airline site blaming them for the problem.

DON

I'm glad you were able to get your bag back!!

A very good reminder for us all to have our name, phone number and address in each of our bags

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DON

With all due respect Don, yes if I leave my bags in the care of a cruise line or an airline and they are not available for me to collect then it is their responsibility. At Mumbai they seemed to feel that as they had offloaded all of the bags that the answer must have been, taken in error. If that was the case you would have thought that by now, a week later, they may have resolved the issue.

Our bag was well labelled and had distinctive ribbon etc. on it.

If you want to take it to the nth degree, all bags should have proper tags on with serial numbers, as airlines do, and nobody should be allowed out of a customs hall with the bags they have collected, after first being checked against their receipts, as airlines did many years ago. As they choose not to do this, as it is obviously not very practical, then yes they have lost my bag, even if it was taken in error.

The landside area in Mumbai was not very secure and a destination where this sort of system might well be used and if not, more azamara staff from the beginning, not just their agents, watching the bags.

I'm so sorry Thameside! When you say you 'rang Royal Caribbean', do you mean Azamara? And was it the UK office you called?

If not, send an email to our UK MD Richard Twynam. He is very responsive!

rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

Thank you for the email address, I will try that. I am making some progress now with corporate guest relations but if you ring any Azamara number in the UK, for this kind of problem, it gets routed to the US and my first contact was with RCCL.

What a nightmare for you Thameside. While I suppose the most likely scenario is that another guest took your luggage in error, it is upsetting that you did not receive more assistance at the port.

I agree with Bonnie that Richard Twynam is very helpful and I hope he can help with your issue.

Please update us

With all due respect Don, yes if I leave my bags in the care of a cruise line or an airline and they are not available for me to collect then it is their responsibility. At Mumbai they seemed to feel that as they had offloaded all of the bags that the answer must have been, taken in error. If that was the case you would have thought that by now, a week later, they may have resolved the issue.

Our bag was well labelled and had distinctive ribbon etc. on it.

If you want to take it to the nth degree, all bags should have proper tags on with serial numbers, as airlines do, and nobody should be allowed out of a customs hall with the bags they have collected, after first being checked against their receipts, as airlines did many years ago. As they choose not to do this, as it is obviously not very practical, then yes they have lost my bag, even if it was taken in error.

The landside area in Mumbai was not very secure and a destination where this sort of system might well be used and if not, more azamara staff from the beginning, not just their agents, watching the bags.

I disagree. Assuming that the cruise line did deposit the bag onto the baggage holding area of the port or the airline deposited the bag onto the luggage carousel, they have done their job. The care of the bag has now become the responsibility of the harbor people or of the airport people.

We live in Vegas. At one time, all bags were checked as you left the luggage area. They have not done that for years.

As a practical matter, what would you have the airlines or the cruise lines do to ensure that bags are not lost or accidentally or purposely taken. Instead of complaining, come up with a practical and time and cost effective solution. Remember, Azamara does not own or control the piers. The harbor authorities do.

DON

I disagree. Assuming that the cruise line did deposit the bag onto the baggage holding area of the port or the airline deposited the bag onto the luggage carousel, they have done their job. The care of the bag has now become the responsibility of the harbor people or of the airport people.

We live in Vegas. At one time, all bags were checked as you left the luggage area. They have not done that for years.

As a practical matter, what would you have the airlines or the cruise lines do to ensure that bags are not lost or accidentally or purposely taken. Instead of complaining, come up with a practical and time and cost effective solution. Remember, Azamara does not own or control the piers. The harbor authorities do.

DON

Thameside I am so sorry to hear this has happened and as you entrusted your bags to the cruise line using their instructed methods you are quite right to expect them to resolve the issue.

Don ibelieve you are being unrealistically harsh I am not sure if you were on this cruise. We were and are still onboard but at this stage are unlikely ever to do a cruise that embarks or disembarks in Mumbai. Through no fault of Azamara there is a bureaucracy in Mumbai and level of incompetence in the agents and port authorities which makes the process quite disagreeable. We tried to make light of the issues but we have not had to tolerate the level of discomfort that Thameside has

I do not think it is their job to solve the process issues but it is right they challenge it to get resolution of their unhappy situation.

Uktog - quite agree about disembarking n Mumbai. When we last did this we booked an Azamara transfer to the airport. There should have been plenty of time to spare, but after an hour and a half we had still not left the dock. At the dock gates all luggage had to be taken off the coach and put through a scanner - and when we got to the dock gates there were 9 buses in front of us waiting. It was only because my husband and another passenger went to harangue people and tell them they would be responsible for 20 passengers missing their flight, that we got moving. Eventually, after getting through the horrendous traffic we caught our plane by the skin of our teeth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thameside I am so sorry to hear this has happened and as you entrusted your bags to the cruise line using their instructed methods you are quite right to expect them to resolve the issue.

Don ibelieve you are being unrealistically harsh I am not sure if you were on this cruise. We were and are still onboard but at this stage are unlikely ever to do a cruise that embarks or disembarks in Mumbai. Through no fault of Azamara there is a bureaucracy in Mumbai and level of incompetence in the agents and port authorities which makes the process quite disagreeable. We tried to make light of the issues but we have not had to tolerate the level of discomfort that Thameside has

I do not think it is their job to solve the process issues but it is right they challenge it to get resolution of their unhappy situation.

I totally agree that I do not know anything about the specific issues at Mumbai. Perhaps Azamara should drop Mumbai as a port if there are endemic problems at the port. My response was a more general one regarding the basic question of who is responsible for luggage issues.

DON

Thank you uktog, still have no information with regard to the bag but are forever hopeful.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Good news Thameside!

I've heard from our ship Customer Service. Long story short, the Ground Handler in Mumbai has your missing luggage! After you left the terminal a woman returned your bag that she mistakenly had picked up. Our CS personnel are working on getting the bag sent to you asap.

Good news Thameside!

I've heard from our ship Customer Service. Long story short, the Ground Handler in Mumbai has your missing luggage! After you left the terminal a woman returned your bag that she mistakenly had picked up. Our CS personnel are working on getting the bag sent to you asap.

So pleased that this story has a happy ending!

Something similar happened to us when disembarking with Silversea in Venice. Our (quite similar but by no means identical) case was collected by another passenger.

Thankfully we realised shortly after the mistake occurred and our port agent managed to track it down for us before we left the port.

Good news Thameside!

To the OP - I think that you owe Azamara an apology for your misleading thread title. As I suggested in a previous post, Azamara did not lose your luggage.

DON

I get those smiley face stickers in either hot pink or yellow and literal polka dot my hard side luggage with them. Who would accidentally take a polka dot case? Looks stupid and they are easy to just peel off when you get home..