Ob gty

What is the difference between a V3 and a V5 on Deck 6 on Soujourn and Odyssey? They look exactly the same to me. Is it just a matter of location?

Did they offer you an upgrade?

No, I wasn't offered an upgrade. I was just curious as to why some cabins of the same size on the same deck were V3, others V5.

The V3 are further aft and some believe that they can feel more movement of the ship when further aft. The mid-ship location is perceived to be better and less feel of motion on the ship. The V5 is also closer to the public spaces so a slightly closer walk to the activities.

The V3 are further aft and some believe that they can feel more movement of the ship when further aft. The mid-ship location is perceived to be better and less feel of motion on the ship.

Actually Nolatravelgirl the V3 suites are closer to the front of the ship not the aft - and it is forward where people can tend to feel more movement. But it probably takes being a Seabourn snottie dinosaur to know these things!

Actually Nolatravelgirl the V3 suites are closer to the front of the ship not the aft - and it is forward where people can tend to feel more movement. But it probably takes being a Seabourn snottie dinosaur to know these things!

Apologies, I bow to the extinct dinosaur who knows all the sailing terms. I take my licks accordingly from your wagging finger at me.

Same thing. people tend to complain about motion whether far to the "front" or far to the "back." Funny you never hear about people complaining about motion when assigned to some of best suites which are located on the front and back of the ship. ;) If the far "front" or far "back" (yes I am going to keep saying it that way) was so inferior then Seabourn would never put some of the priciest suites there.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Front of the ship ( and yes, it is ship not boat -- ships carry boats) is the bow, rear is the aft, left is port and right is starboard. And btw, these are not sailing terms, they are nautical terms.

Front of the ship ( and yes, it is ship not boat -- ships carry boats) is the bow, rear is the aft, left is port and right is starboard. And btw, these are not sailing terms, they are nautical terms.

Again I take your whips from your dinosaur fingers :D Bring on the ancient English torture. :)

I am honestly sorry that you find clarifications as to the layout of the ship irrelevant and archaic. When I am on my December Antarctic cruise I know that if the Captain announces a sighting of whales off the starboard bow I will not have to waste valuable time figuring out where to go for the best viewing.i The OP asked a question and Stamfordian and I simply tried to correct misinformation with aim not of making you look bad but rather to assist the OP in assessing the benefit or detriments of various suite locations.

Edited by Chairsin

I am honestly sorry that you find clarifications as to the layout of the ship irrelevant and archaic. When I am on my December Antarctic cruise I know that if the Captain announces a sighting of whales off the starboard bow I will not have to waste valuable time figuring out where to go for the best viewing.i The OP asked a question and Stamfordian and I simply tried to correct misinformation with aim not of making you look bad but rather to assist the OP in assessing the benefit or detriments of various suite locations.

Again, I take your whips. You are missing the point as to what I was saying. The general belief is that the motion is felt more strongly on either end of the ship hence mid-ship is generally perceived to be a preferred cabin location and Seabourn has classified them as a higher category. Seabourn is no fool and if they squeeze more dollars from folks by classifying those as a superior then they darn well will.

To the original poster, have a wonderful trip, even the "worst" cabin on Seabourn is better than a day at work! :D Hopefully your travel agent explained that when booking a veranda guarantee (OB GTY) cabin that you could be assigned any veranda cabin. Take a look around the deck plans and see if you would be okay in all of these cabins. If being assigned to any of the cabins would ruin your holiday then telephone your TA and pay the upcharge for an assigned room to calm your nerves. Enjoy your cruise.

The front of the ship is the bow and the rear of the ship is the stern.

If you talk about going toward the bow, you are going forward. If you're walking to the back of the ship, you're going aft.

Let's keep those parallels straight.;)

Tgg,

Thank you for providing a correction to my post. Clearly while heading aft I did not realize I was going toward the stern. Please do not report my error to my SailorBoy -- he will be sad to know 22 years of schooling me on terminology used by the US Navy have been in vain. At least since there are no Seabourn passengers suites back there I have hopefully not confused the OP.[emoji15]

Kauaiijim -- sounds to me as though you have your priorities in order.

Stamfordian -- right you are --completely forgot about those. However, without an up charge there is little chance the OP will be assigned one of those suites.

• 2 weeks later...