Spa Suite in Antarctica

Seacap

We are booked next year for Antarctica in a Spa Suite.Can anyone tell me from personal experience what rough seas are like in that suite and what the view is like from the stern of the ship.We also have the choice of booking a Penthouse Suite,would love some knowledgeable input on what to do.Thanks for your input.

We did a transatlantic in the Spa Suite and loved it! Yes, there is more motion, but we didn't think it was a deal breaker. The panoramic views are spectacular. The location is so great; close to everything. We really utilized the spa a lot more because of the proximity. The veranda was like an extra living space, which we used as much as we could (sometimes it was too cold or windy). The stairs were not an issue for us-- even in some rocky seas. You just have to hold on. It is really like a private club up there. If you can get one of the suites on the end, the extra windrow in the bedroom is great-- the views from there are also amazing and it is a great place to sit and watch the sea go by reading in a comfortable chair. Hope to our enjoy.

The aft views are absolutely amazing.

Yes there is more motion in the spa suites. Quite a bit vs mid ships actually.

Nobody can predict what the Drake's Passage will be like on your sailing. It can vary from smooth as silk to 35 feet waves within a 48 hour period - and I've had both.

Edited by florisdekort

We are booked next year for Antarctica in a Spa Suite.Can anyone tell me from personal experience what rough seas are like in that suite and what the view is like from the stern of the ship.We also have the choice of booking a Penthouse Suite,would love some knowledgeable input on what to do.Thanks for your input.

You are crossing the roughest seas in the world. The more Forward or aft a cabin is the greater the motion, the higher a cabin is the more motion. You will be a cabin that is far aft and on next to the top deck! The stabilizers on the Quest are the best of any ship I have been on, but beware!

You are crossing the roughest seas in the world. The more Forward or aft a cabin is the greater the motion, the higher a cabin is the more motion. You will be a cabin that is far aft and on next to the top deck! The stabilizers on the Quest are the best of any ship I have been on, but beware!

Perhaps I'm remembering but I thought they couldn't use the stabilizers in icy waters.

Perhaps I'm remembering but I thought they couldn't use the stabilizers in icy waters.

The stabilizers are withdrawn when in ice, but most of the time in ice packs the sea is relatively calm, although there can be large swells. The ice reduces the interaction twixt wind and water and usually leads to calmer waters. You may well see icebergs in the Drake, but not usually pack ice until you get close to Antartica

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on spa suite from Monte Carlo to Lisbon, love the room, very large, could live here. Bathroom and closet huge. Great to be near spa, away from any noise. But we had very rough waters, some of the biggest they see in these parts, and 1/2 the boat stayed inside, it was rainy & windy too. Seasoned Great Lake sailors I did not feel sea sick, but everything was moving, things fell off the tables, evething was rattling. For 2 nights I have not been able to sleep as every thing is rattling and my body and bed shaking. I Feel the stabilizers all the time & the listing of the boat. Speaking to other guests they all feel it. Not sure I would change the room for the motion, but yes you do feel it terribly. My friend took bridge tour, they can use stabilizers in cold water as long as there is not ice chunks. Great room. Great view, but if you can not tolerate motion, I would say no. Feels like another rocky night.

Currently on spa suite from Monte Carlo to Lisbon, love the room, very large, could live here. Bathroom and closet huge. Great to be near spa, away from any noise. But we had very rough waters, some of the biggest they see in these parts, and 1/2 the boat stayed inside, it was rainy & windy too. Seasoned Great Lake sailors I did not feel sea sick, but everything was moving, things fell off the tables, evething was rattling. For 2 nights I have not been able to sleep as every thing is rattling and my body and bed shaking. I Feel the stabilizers all the time & the listing of the boat. Speaking to other guests they all feel it. Not sure I would change the room for the motion, but yes you do feel it terribly. My friend took bridge tour, they can use stabilizers in cold water as long as there is not ice chunks. Great room. Great view, but if you can not tolerate motion, I would say no. Feels like another rocky night.

Excellent to hear, I hope my TA in December is similar. Krikes, I'm on a ship in the ocean, I've put down a chunk of change to feel it.