Booking TK restaurant in booking in advance for your sailing?

Why bother? In 38 days you will have plenty of opportunities. If you want a specific date for a special occasion, you can do it the day you board at Seabourn Square. You will find the restaurant/reservation experience to be very different from other lines.

Edited by marazul

Outbound on Quest Dover to Montreal 38 days! Aug 4 ! Yea. Does anyone know if you can book the TK restaurant in advance of your departure?

Thanks

At sea days ,I wouldn't get too excited re the TK menu. We tried it and never again and it was never too fully booked.

Good and bad reviews.

Do hope you have a lovely cruise.

Kind regards,

Tony

One per suite per sailing.

If one is on a 14 day Mediterranean, which is also being sold as two 7 day segments, does that count as two cruises in this context does anybody know?

Edited by stamfordian
Missing word

Generally two seven day cruises bolted together will give you two bites at the TK menu and you are getting the 14 day trip for much less than if you booked two seven day trips.

Edited by Mr Luxury

you are getting the 14 day trip for much less than if you booked two seven day trips.

Well aware of that, John - and we have. Was just wondering about the logistics side if things now starting to be clarified after Quest dry dock, although not clear if FKGirl is actually on board or conversing with somebody who is.

Edited by stamfordian
missing word

We don't even know if the restaurant has even opened up yet. Last report we had from those who boarded on Monte Carlo after dry dock was that the restaurant renovations had not been completed. Would be nice to have an update from a cruiser on board.

We have been on board the Quest since Monacco. The Thomas Keller restaurant is still not up and running. There has been no announcement as to when it will open. We have been told (unofficially) that it will trial with some invited guests before it officially opens. Guests on board received a $50 credit in compensation. The Thomas Keller casual menu in the Colonnade (reservation only) is served about twice a week. Family style serving of salad, meat course, cheese,(for our table of 7 the highlight of the meal), and dessert. We weren't overly inspired by the rather ordinary food. The Restaurant has an insert of Thomas Keller choices, but it doesn't appear to be offered to all tables, as we found one evening that our table wasn't offered these choices,but that my sister's table were all given that menu, as well as the Restaurant's own excellent choices. You are able to choose individual courses from the Thomas Keller menu, or the three courses offered. We have another seven days to Copenhagen. Doubt if we will be able to Partake of this new culinary experience on this cruise of the Thomas Keller Grill, or 'chophouse', as it was referred to. There are several Seabourn 'Suits' on board.

Oh dear -- it does sound as though the conversion of a the restaurant continues to be encounter problems. It could be one of many things -- equipment that did not show up on times, poor craftsmanship, a design incompatible with the existing constraints or general "fussiness" on the part of TK and his people to make sure it is perfect before unveiled. In any event I am sorry that you have not been able to dine there. And in my opinion I think the $50 is rather insulting. I can't believe passengers care about monetary compensation for this disappointment but rather would prefer some ore meaningful gesture of apology. For instance they could have organized a few special wine/food outings in a port or two. Anyway, I am glad you at least enjoyed the cheese (was it the Humboldt Fog?) and hope your are otherwise having a nice cruise. Thank you for providing us with an update. Guess we will have to wait for later cruises to find out how the Grill is received.

Well aware of that, John - and we have. Was just wondering about the logistics side if things now starting to be clarified after Quest dry dock, although not clear if FKGirl is actually on board or conversing with somebody who is.

I was on the transatlantic, so I've been off the ship for almost a month. The above comments were from an email received from Seabourn. I can't remember if it was one to travel agents or to the public (sorry).

Edited by FKGirl

Self and 'Erindoors have received emails today from Seabourn Club outlining the TK Grill booking procedure as outlined above by FKGirl. It states the first evening for which reservations will be available on Quest is Saturday 21 May so they are presumably not yet fully settled in.

Taken off their blog:

Our new signature restaurant, The Grill by Thomas Keller is now open for online reservations for guests on any Seabourn Quest sailing beginning May 21, 2016.

The Grill focuses on updated versions of iconic dishes. In The Grill's elegant dining room, guests will be treated to Caesar salad and ice cream sundaes, classics from the American chophouse, as well as a range of other steakhouse favorites like Lobster Thermidor and creamed spinach. The timeless menu will draw on many artisan purveyors. A cocktail program and wine list of domestic and old world labels will complement the menu.

Currently available for booking on Seabourn Quest, this experience will be launched across the entire fleet, including our two new ships, Seabourn Encore debuting this December and Seabourn Ovation launching in early spring 2018.

Please be aware there is limited availability online, as the ship's crew will still be handling most reservations once guests are on board.

Just off the odyssey and we ate the TK meals offered. Personally, we would just be happy with regular Seabourn chef food.

The TK thing is just good American cooking--guess what we eat at home! Plus we really don't eat beef in huge portions each evening. Also be aware that on TK evenings the waiters stand outside the dining room and you must search to get them to deliver more water, bread, etc. They are all well trained folks and quite embarrassed that they have been reduced to poor servers in coffee houses in California I guess!

Unbeknownst to Seabourn, guests are not fans of the different country called California.

Bring back caviar all the time in my book! (Yes you can special order it and we had it almost every day at no extra cost!)

I think I've managed to book a table on-line for the Thomas Keller on Quest in June - someone here commented on the clunkiness of the SB website and I must say it took me sometime to discover 'restaurant reservations' under 'shipboard activities' and the reservation doesn't show in my day by day itinerary yet.

From what people keep saying about the food, I'm not really sure if we want to eat there. When we cruise we like to eat quite imaginative and interesting food and TK sound pretty dull overall. I think we'll wait for more feedback from those on May cruises.....

From what people keep saying about the food, I'm not really sure if we want to eat there. When we cruise we like to eat quite imaginative and interesting food and TK sound pretty dull overall. I think we'll wait for more feedback from those on May cruises.....

I would definitely wait for the May reviews. The dishes everyone has been discussing are the menu enhancements for the other three venues (The Restaurant, The Colonnade, and the Patio Grill). No one has yet to taste r try the menu in the new Thomas Keller Grill and (despite some of his detractors trying to spread rumors to the contrary) that menu will be different than what is currently onboard in the other venues.

While some of the critics have been very vocal, there are also many people who have enjoyed at least some of the Thomas Keller additions.

• 3 weeks later...

Delicious! You will not get to eat there more than once or twice but you will wish that you could! It is delicious, atmosphere is amazing and their separate revenue wine list is amazing and affordable. They still have complimentary wine.

I got a solicitation online to book TK dining on our cruise this summer. With great effort, overcoming the clunkiness of the website trying to find the booking area , I finally booked it. Then I had to call HQ service to change it, due to a conflict with another SB booking the site did not catch, as once you book it you cannot change or cancel online. I had to recite the booking number using NATO alphabet several times to communicate the key info to get it cancelled, as the person nad trouble understandjngm then had to go back and rebook.

Considering SB is based in a high - tech city, Seattle, I am mystified why SB cannot have a better website. Holland America has a better website. But yes, you can book online.

For those of us who do not have a cruise booked at present, it would be good to know a few facts - there was a rumour of two sittings; is this the case, or is it staggered bookings? Is there the same menu each evening, with choices, or does it vary, maybe without choice?

Would love to hear what dishes are available, and if there is still (possibly loud) music being played. Maybe someone on board or who has just disembarked will report, please.

Hi All - I'm recently off of the 5/21 Baltic cruise which I believe was the first cruise accepting online pre-bookings for the Grill.

Reservations/Seating:

We booked online about 1.5 weeks in advance and already there were very limited times available. On a 7 day cruise, only 1 pre-booked reservation is allowed.

The restaurant was fully booked the night we were there and on the subsequent nights when I called about getting in, they were also fully booked. While they would put you on a waitlist, I was never called about any openings. That said, we had some friends on board who asked directly at the restaurant and they were able to get in later one evening.

We were told that while their aim is 2 seatings, in practice it's more like 1.5 seatings right now and that they are staggered.

Ambience:

Lounge-y feel with dark wood and shutters over the windows which limited the natural light (these are adjustable) created a nice atmosphere. I didn't recall any loud music. There was a buzzy feel to the place, though, because of how full it was and the amazing attention of the staff.

Food & Drink:

Excellent craft cocktails from the bar. My husband had a perfectly made Manhattan and I had a gin cocktail that was fantastic. Lots of creative options for those inclined.

Many people were ordering the Caesar salad served tableside but we passed and elected the lump crab cake starter - delicious!

For mains - my husband had the beef tenderloin which he said was cooked correctly but just ok and I had the lobster thermidor which was perfectly cooked and super rich, creamy.

All sides are a la carte - think typical steakhouse options - sautéed and cream spinach, mushrooms, several potato options, etc. We tried both of the versions of spinach and both were great.

They are apparently known for their ice cream sundaes which the entire table of 6 behind us ordered. They bring everything to serve tableside. We were really full so decided to split the coconut cake instead. It was a huge portion, layer cake but lacked in flavor and execution. It was really dense and not a lot of flavor.

Final analysis: overall, we were very pleased with our dinner. Food was good quality, drinks were superb and service was great. I thought dessert was the weak point. Also, there were TK offerings in the main dining room and colonnade throughout the week and I did not think those were of the same quality as we experienced at The Grill but YMMV, I guess.

Mrs Dus - many thanks for your report. I get the impression that perhaps the menu is the same each evening, with two choices for each course? As I can't eat crab - like quite a few people - that would reduce the starter choice, but lobster thermidor is lovely if the lobster is good, as I imagine it was. Maybe when everyone is more used to it there will be possibilities of dining more than once on a cruise.

Glad to hear it seems to be pretty successful.

I am glad to hear that The Grill on Quest is underway. It will only improve with time, no doubt.

Would someone please report when the Sojourn and Odyssey will be similarly equipped.

Thanks and happy and healthy sailing!