Big scare in Barcelona

A few weeks ago my husband and I spent 2 pre-cruise days in Barcelona, one of my favorite big cities in the world. We were at a lovely hotel, The Majestic, and had just spent a great day wandering around. As most of you experienced travelers know, in Barcelona there are pick pockets everywhere, so we left everything in the safe with the exception of pocket change.

When we returned to our room, we were surprised that the turn down service had already passed. Instinct had me check the safe, but it would not open. I immediately called reception and they said they would send housekeeping to open the safe. While waiting my husband noticed that the secret code he used to open our luggage was not scrambled and that was the same code he used for the safe.

The fifteen minutes that we waited to have our safe opened seemed like forever. Once the safe was finally opened, everything was in it's place and I almost cried from the relief. The rest of the evening we kept kicking ourselves for being so stupid. Lessen learned. Some things sound so simple after the fact.

I just thought I would share my newly acquired wisdom. Don't forget to scramble your luggage codes or use a different code for your safe. Safe travels to all.

Very good advice. As someone who worked in computer security for many years and know lots of ways criminals try to find low hanging fruit, we always use different values for the safe code (and wish the code was more than the usual 4 digits, always appreciate the very rare 6 digits) from anything some one could find in our room and certainly not the same values to unlock our phones. BTW you should always insure you either touch every key on the safe keypad and/or wipe them all down after setting your code.

Thank you for sharing this.

A good lesson for all of us to remember.

Also wise decision to minimize what you walk around with in Barcelona. Love the city but always wise to be careful with the pickpockets who are out there and about.

Keith