Has Anyone Participated In Kayaking?

My husband and I are booked on the 12-Day Scenic Norway & Fjords cruise in July. In addition to shore excursions, SB offers a number of opportunities for passengers to go kayaking. This sounds quite appealing to us.

I'm relatively new to kayaking, and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has actually kayaked on one of SB's Norway cruises. In particular, I'm interested in learning how rigorous an activity is this, and whether the weather was an issue (choppy water, wind, current, etc.).

Many thanks.

One of our worst SB excursion experiences was kayaking in Hvar. It was so strenuous that half of the kayaks tried to abandon but logistically could not. We found ourselves in the middle of the group, with the warriors so far ahead that we lost sight of them and the wannabe abandoners so far behind that we lost sight of them as well. And that was in a very warm and sunny climate (the weather conditions in Norway are much more variable).

If you're looking for adventure on the water without having to do all the work, try a zodiac excursion in Norway and dress in very warm clothing.

This thread is a perfect example of why I would like to see a star rating system for excursions put into effect. One in which previous passengers can give their opinions to future passengers about the different excursions offered by Seabourn. I find that I hesitate much more now than I used to before booking excursions due to a few bad experiences.

We did this in the summer of 2014, when Seabourn was still running one of the small ships up north of the Cape to the ice pack. Our day in Gerianger was spectacular; a hike in the morning and kayaking in the afternoon. We have kayaked a few times, but are by no means experts or even terribly experienced. The kayaking was not strenuous, you don`t go too far, and the pace is set by the slowest in the group. So you only go as far as they do, and you can turn around at any time really. You are always within sight of the group. It is a great way to see the fjord from an "up close" perspective.

We had great weather, and the water inside the fjords is protected. You don't get out into the chop. Obviously, the conditions will dictate your experience, but I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is reasonably comfortable on the water.

My wife and daughter Kayaked in a fjord I can't remember in 2014,with SB.. They enjoyed it, but the group had to duck near a sheer wall to avoid a passing ship. I tho enjoyed a drink on deck!

Thanks, all for your advice. I think my husband and I need to weigh this carefully ... it sounds like it could be enjoyable, or not ...

One of the reasons we were so attracted to this activity: we'd understood that the kayak program was under the direction of the expedition team that was in charge of our holiday cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia Island in Dec 2013-Jan 2014. The team impressed us as super-organized and highly competent.

Again, thanks to Les Picantins, Friendship Bay and Kauaijim for sharing your experiences.

One of our worst SB excursion experiences was kayaking in Hvar. It was so strenuous that half of the kayaks tried to abandon but logistically could not. We found ourselves in the middle of the group, with the warriors so far ahead that we lost sight of them and the wannabe abandoners so far behind that we lost sight of them as well. And that was in a very warm and sunny climate (the weather conditions in Norway are much more variable).

If you're looking for adventure on the water without having to do all the work, try a zodiac excursion in Norway and dress in very warm clothing.

This thread is a perfect example of why I would like to see a star rating system for excursions put into effect. One in which previous passengers can give their opinions to future passengers about the different excursions offered by Seabourn. I find that I hesitate much more now than I used to before booking excursions due to a few bad experiences.

There's an idea. A subforum for excursions offered via Seabourn where people can rate what they've experienced. They already have a mechanism in place for rating the cruise itself, why not a forum based version for the tours?

We kayaked in Geiranger Fjord in 2010. It was a beautiful place to kayak. My husband and I are not experienced kayakers. He was matched up with a single passenger and I was matched up with our 9 year old son. Unfortunately it was quite windy and my son panicked a bit and quit paddling, so we turned back with the group that chose not to continue. My husband did the entire trip and had a great time. The water was pretty smooth, just the wind was an issue for us.

Thanks to CorgiNole for the info on kayaking in Geiranger Fjord.

And thanks to Emperor Norton re the suggestion about creating a sub-forum re SB shore excursions. This could be very useful: though Cruise Critic contains some shore excursion reviews, those reviews cover many cruise lines. While SB may offer a similar excursion in a given port, you don't really know whether SB uses the same vendor in that port.

Also, in the case of the Seabourn Ventures program (which is running all but one of the the kayaking and some hiking excursions on our upcoming Norway cruise), the excursions are SB-specific. So, getting input from past SB passengers would be very helpful to future SB passengers.

Does anyone know how a sub-forum gets created?

One of the reasons we were so attracted to this activity: we'd understood that the kayak program was under the direction of the expedition team that was in charge of our holiday cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia Island in Dec 2013-Jan 2014. The team impressed us as super-organized and highly competent.

You're exactly right. Anyone commenting on kayaking excursions prior to the start of the expedition team leading these excursions last summer is describing a very different experience than you will have.

We cruised in Norway last summer, and took one of the first Ventures excursions with the expedition staff. The staff was wonderful. Our excursion involved a zodiac trip at the North Cape, ending with a strenuous hike to the top of Nordkapp. The staff told us repeatedly that anyone who didn't think they could do the hike up could ride back in the zodiacs. The landing area was slippery and bit hard to navigate; my wife struggled with her footing and fell behind, and after starting the ascent, began to have doubts about making it up. The excursions leader kept checking with her, and encouraged her that it was fine to return to the zodiac, which is what she decided to do. One of the excursion staff came up to meet her and helped her get back to the zodiac. On the return trip from Nordkapp, the zodiac driver kept asking her if she was okay and wanted them to go slower. She had a great time on her private trip, and really enjoyed how the exclusion staff looked after her.

I can't imagine the excursions staff leaving anyone behind on a kayaking trip based on our great experience with them. The people we talked with on our trip who did the kayaking excursions enjoyed them, and we didn't hear any negative reports. They won't go out if they feel the conditions are too adverse for kayaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sharing some info I received after I contacted Seabourn about how strenuous the Ventures by Seabourn kayaking excursions are (I explained that I had limited experience). My questions were forwarded to a member of the expedition team, who provided the following information:

"The paddling in Norway is on flat calm waters and is very easy. There is a lead guide with the group at all times, he gives a thorough briefing and we also have a safety zodiac follow at all times for any additional assistance should it be required.

The fjord water is not choppy.

There are no currents.

This is a scenic relaxing paddle with the waterfalls and plenty of time to stop, take photos and admire the scenery.

No experience is needed to kayak.

This trip will be perfect for you. We also supply all the gear, including a dry bag for your camera and phones."