Best Christmas Market Cruise?

SeaWatch

What river, itinerary and cruise line would you recommend for a December, 2016 Christmas Market cruise?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Viking last November and had a marvelous time on our Romantic Danube cruise. We began in Budapest, which I think offers the best Christmas markets. Everything sold at the market has to be Hungarian-made so it's very authentic and charming. Having said that, however, we liked all the markets we saw. They're all so festive and who's going to say No to that wonderful hot spiced wine that warms you up? Not I!

"Best" is impossible to answer without knowing what is important to you. All cruiselines have pros and cons, as do rivers. As do Christmas Markets (Though I like them all :D)

What do you want to do, what do you want to see, what are your budget priorities? What Christmas market cruises are still available for Dec 2016? (we booked ours a year and a half in advance....)

We were on Avalon, Nuremberg to Basel. Very nice itinerary - 9 or 10 days - a little longer than the standard 7 but not so long we couldn't take the vacation time. Those were some of our priorities. And being in Germany most of the trip - my husband wanted to sample German beer. And Avalon has mini-fridges in all the cabins so we could keep our beers cold - another priority (hey, when you live with a homebrewer, you get used to certain things ;-) Avalon itself was everything I expected, and we loved the cabin size, layout & space utilization.

Edited by Hoyaheel

"Best" is impossible to answer without knowing what is important to you. All cruiselines have pros and cons, as do rivers. As do Christmas Markets (Though I like them all :D)

This is very true. We started with Uniworld and have been so happy with them there was never a reason to consider switching to another company. They offered everything we wanted and more. Also, we wanted a week long cruise so we would be able to add extra days on each end in Budapest, Vienna, and Bavaria.

Hello SeaWatch,

I would go for either the Rhine, the Main or the Danube. Authentic stuff in Budapest is certainly great. Vienna is said to have the oldest Christmas market in the world, but Nuremberg (on the Main itinerary) is probably one of those that most fits the idea of Christmas market in a lot of people's heads. Frankfurt (on the Main itinerary) is a very old market as well.

The Rhine is great but many markets are of a newer date and not that "romantic", although as regards landscape I prefer the Rhine to the Danube in winter weather.

Paris is said to be great in winter and the Christmas markets are supposed to be nice but the Seine trip itself would not appeal to me in winter.

Perhaps it might be an idea to have a look at some Christmas markets websites. Or think if there is anything you would love to see, any special interests?

By the way if there is an itinerary that takes you to Brussels, there is a great Christmas market, too.

Dresden would be a great place to visit, but I do not think many cruises are offered on the Elbe in winter.

There are some people who say that a land trip is preferable for visiting Christmas markets, but the combination of markets and cruise works really well judging by the experiences from past cruisers here on CC.

Three things you need to bear in mind when choosing IMO: Firstly, the weather can be very changeable and lovely snowfall is not guaranteed. Secondly, daylight cruising is very limited especially further into December. Thirdly, The markets are very crowded at times and are usually best after sunset with all the decorative lights, but that is often when you need to get back for dinner or the boat sailing. The third point very much depends on the company so it pays to look closely at the itineraries in the catalogues and online.

Please do come back with specific questions. There are also reviews from past cruisers and more general threads here that deal with winter river cruising. Here is one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322027&highlight=christmas

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Wow - thanks to everyone for your awesome comments!

Since we are just starting to explore this cruise, what we want is fuzzy. Our daughter will be in Brussels ( thanks for that hint notamernaid ) so we will at least fly in or out of there.

My wife pictures the older, more romantic markets, lots of local crafts. I would want the location most likely to have snow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

By the nature of a river cruise you are in the valley, so you could get rain in the town you are visiting while further afield it is snowing. Hit and miss, really. But I would opt for Bavaria, that would be Nuremberg, Regensburg, Passau for the greatest chance of snow as that area is colder than the Rhine valley.

But then again, you could start in Basel and have a trip into the mountains with lots of snow...then travelling downstream to end in Amsterdam with no snow probably, leaving Europe - as you suggested - from Brussels. Easy to get from Amsterdam to Brussels by train. The vice versa trip is also doable, of course.

And remember Christmas markets do not start before the third week of November, are normally closed on the Sunday of the Dead (last Sunday in November) and most of them end on 23rd December. Check individual town's websites for exact dates.

notamermaid

Everyone will have a favorite and here is ours! We sailed with Avalon, began with a pre-cruise in Prague and ended in Vienna. Both of those cities had wonderful markets and are beautiful places to visit. The cruise was on the Danube (we boarded the ship in Nuremburg) and it was like out of a storybook during the time of Dickens. Snow, firepots to warm yourself by as you walked through the charming villages and of course, Gluewein! We would definitely recommend that you check out this itinerary with Avalon.

Cole

We have been on 3 market cruises. The first with Vantage was Nurnberg-Koln. It was very nice, but no snow after the first day. The second and third were with AMAwaterways. Really excellent. The second went from Budapest (4 Markets) to Nurnberg, then on to Prague on our own. The third was Amsterdam-Basel with a post trip in Lucerne. The markets are so special--each one different. Favorites in Nurnberg were the prune people and the "gingerbread". We have gone on one every three years since 2008 and hope to go with Grand Circle on the Elbe next year. Pat

Did a Viking Christmas market cruise a few years ago and, while enjoyable, we had two unexpected surprises. The first was low water so we berthed in Passau for several nights. Viking did a fine job busing folks to the sights but we opted to do our own thing. Second surprise was ship cruised at night so being able to visit markets in the dark limited til time after we scrapped bottom and stopped. Then, we just hopped train and found smaller towns to visit. Great!

So, this past Dec. several of us took a wonderful Gate 1 coach tour from Munich that gave us the chance to enjoy ten markets, mostly at night; it was a very good trip. Check it out.

You can tell by my signature that we have a cruise line preference!

We have done three Christmas Market cruises and this weekend, just booked our 4th.

We love the Danube markets. Budapest is fantastic and the markets are lovely--good food, lots of delicious gluwein and friendly people. I have found the nicest pottery (ornaments), soaps and hand loomed scarves in Budapest. Budapest is my favorite city and am always enchanted during the holidays. Do not expect snow--but it can get foggy along the river.

Bratislava has a nice market--lots of crepes, sausages, potato pancakes and various schnapps and liqueurs. (Honey based) Whenever we've been there, they've had live entertainment in the square--from a children's choir to a polka band. Very fun and you really get a feeling of being a local there. Bratislava doesn't attract the tourists like Prague or Vienna or the German markets.

Vienna has a fantastic market on the grounds of Schonnbrunn Palace. I believe it's juried, meaning it's local, handmade and judged. The City Hall market is very old and fun to wander...and be prepared to sample (at your own risk!) bigger-than-your-head pastries and donuts. Wow. I think Vienna is my 2nd favorite city...

We did hop off the boat after dinner to visit the Linz market--it's an easy 10 minute walk and if your ship departs late you can walk over. It's small but fun and not at all touristy. I don't remember buying anything there.

There is no market in Melk or Durnstein (at least not during the day when we visited.)

Salzburg has a large market but is pretty touristy. It's such a pretty little city that it's easy to be distracted by all the architectural goodies. The mountains make for lovely backdrop as well.

Passau has a lively market with lots of brats and potato pancakes. I manage to get to Hussel chocolate shop in the shopping district because they are the BEST chocolates outside of Belgium and can only be bought in Germany. I cannot get out of their store without putting myself at risk for going over the weight limit for luggage. Two words: Vanilla Bourbon.

Prague also has some nice markets--but it's super touristy. Like--rip off touristy. I don't mind feeling like one of the herd but don't take advantage of me. But! Prague has insanely cheap beer and food once you're a block or two off the tourist path.

We've also stayed in Cologne and they have several Christmas markets and each has a different vibe. I think we did all 7 or 8 markets in under 24 hours. And sampled the gluwein at each!! :-)

The Heart of Germany cruise was fun--but--German markets attract a ton of tourists...everyone we went to was packed. Frankfurt was fun and Bamberg has a lovely green market that seques right into the Christmas markets. Rothenburg was a picturesque little village on the Romantic Road that's straight out of Disney but was overrun by selfie sticks and lots of tourists from Japan. (So much so that the shops, including Kathe Wolfart, hire young Japanese sales women to work in their shops. It's a bit disconcerting to walk in and see a young Japanese gal wearing a milk-maid frock.)

I had some gripes with Viking but overall, they provide a good value for what you pay for. We use the ship like a floating hotel--and with repeated trips we get better and better deals.

Aside from brief flurries, we have never had snow of any kind of our trips. We live in MN and find Europe to be warmer in December than it is here. Fog along the river is common--our first Danube Waltz was fogged in the day we sailed the SCENIC Wachau valley. (Second cruise? Saw it. Loved it.)

Hope this helps...no matter what cruise you pick or company you travel with--it's a vacation and a way to expand your horizons and have fun.

I did the AmaSonata last December from Prague to Budapest on the Danube. Prague was very cheap for everything and I enjoyed their market, as I stayed there 3 days prior to getting onboard ship. My favorites in order: Regensburg (Turns and Taxis by far!), Vienna at Schonnbrun Palace, then Nuremburg.

I enjoyed it so much, that this year, I am doing the MS Maria Theresa on Uniworld Dec. 15....Danube, from Vienna to Nuremburg...can't wait! Going to take my neice, who graduates high school this year.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 consecutive years of Christmas Market cruising I have a clear suggestion. Begin in Budapest and then hit Bratislava, Vienna, Melk, Linz/Salzburg, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg, with an extension to Prague and on your own arrange a day trip to Dresden. Budapest and Bratislava have traditional crafts. Vienna has a number of markets, especially fine is the vetted traditional Atlwienchristkindlemarkt behind the State Theater across from the Rathaus market. Melk has no major market. Linz is nice, but is really the dock for a day trip to Salzburg where there are 'Christmas Eggs' and a tiny Christmas market in the castle. Passau has a nice market in front of the cathedral. In Regensburg there are several markets, with the Lucia Market near the Rathaus with local crafts. Nuremberg is my favorite, usually crowded with Germans and their grandchildren. I think Prague is the most beautiful with the giant Christmas tree and the Gothic church spires. Dresden contends with Vienna for the title of oldest market. In Dresden, the best stollen is sold in cello wrap for the locals, fresher than the boxed. I think Dresden the most impressive. Some of the stalls are architectural masterpieces.

If you have to choose between Salzburg and Nuremberg, choose Nuremberg. All have great food and drink.

Basil, Rothenberg, Heidelberg, Colmar, Strasbourg, Coblenz, Rudesheim, and Cologne all have Christmas Markets worth visiting, but the Danube into Bavaria and then Czech Republic and Eastern Germany would be the most intense Christmas experience.

Do doublecheck the dates for the markets in the towns you are going to....they have varying dates and, in the past, a couple were not open the dates we originally chose. I have not done all the rivers for Christmas but have done three differing river cruises....I liked the Danube the best and we had special experiences in Passau, Budapest, Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna-great things to buy. Although Budapest is fantastic...no one does Christmas as well as the Austrians and Germans. As for snow, no guarantee there at all. I would not plan for it. We went the last week in November and had snowflurries leaving Salzburg to head back to the boat in Linz.. as corny as it sounds we had great fun in the darkness on the bus singing Edelweiss after a lovely day in the town. Tip...buy your chocolate in the Spar grocery stores in some of the towns you are visiting...much cheaper and a lot of choice.

The most snow I have had was in the week before Christmas. There were remnants in Budapest, Vienna, Melk, and Passau. We had light snow in Rothenburg ob der Tauber (very touristy but irresistibly charming). We docked on morning of December 21st in Regensburg with 6 inches of fresh snow. Magical! There were snow flurries in Nuremberg. This was in 2012. Since then I've traveled in the first half of December and seen only a few flurries. Last winter the Austrians and Germans were worried about the lack of snow. I think the week before Christmas has the greatest likelihood of snow.

It is safe to assume that the markets in the cities and larger towns will open on the Thursday (USA Thanksgiving) or Friday before the first Sunday of Advent, the last Sunday of November or rarely the first Sunday of December. This link is the most comprehensive list of German markets I've found.

http://germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

It's a bit early for the 2016 exact dates but you can extrapolate from 2015 with a good deal of confidence.

For other countries, it is best to search them out by city.

Small towns often are open only Friday through Sunday.

I forgot to mention the good market in Bamberg earlier.:)

.I forgot to mention the good market in Bamberg earlier.:)

We were in Bamberg on a Sunday morning. Sadly, the Market opened at 11 and we had to meet the bus to get back on the boat at 11 also:mad: I left my husband drinking rauchbier with his parents (and picking up all the free bottles that no one else wanted - he and his dad really like it:eek:) while I ran to the market - some stalls opened early - to grab a wurst (had to try one at every market!) and a gluhbier.

Thanks for the reminder. The link I posted gives dates and times. Also, look carefully at the different cities. There are a few closed dates and also special events that you may want to celebrate or avoid.

It's best to assume that the markets will not be open after December 24th, although some stay open longer.

remember that CC rules prohibit naming Travel Agents or complaining about moderation -- read the Guidelines and FAQ at the top of this page if you are confused

Edited by Host Jazzbeau