All Things Vantage

FuelScience

KLM and Air France are both members of the Sky Team Alliance meaning they work together and code share flights with all members of the alliance. This means that if you go to KLM's web site and book a flight with them you might actually be flying Air France under a KLM flight #. As for misplaced luggage, the carrier who lost it will be responsible for finding it. In the event of cancellations, the flight you're ticketed on (say Air France) will be rebooked by Air France either them or with another member of the alliance (say Delta). and FYI, KLM is fantastic!!!!
AF and KLM are much more than just co-members of Sky Team. Although Air France and KLM still fly under their own names, they have been owned by a single holding company headquartered at CDG since 2004. Delta is "just" a co-member of Sky Team.

After over a year of waiting (and paying!) it's almost here - we are packing now for our Sunday departure to Amsterdam, where we will tour for week on our own before embarking on our first river cruise, Vantage's 26 day Grand European cruise from the Rhine Valley to Bucharest. There is no way I can keep track of 26 days of sightseeing, not to mention all the optional excursions we signed up for, so we'll be taking it all in one day at a time. Excited!

This may be a one-and-done for us, giving the extensiveness of this cruise (8 countries) and the cost (:eek:), but we can't wait to experience it all. We've been on a short river cruise in China, so we are aware of the size differences between ocean liners and river boats, and I'm so happy to leave the tuxes and evening dresses at home!

Any last minute tips on enhancing this experience from those of you seasoned river cruisers are welcome! :)

We are taking this cruise in reverse order in July. Look forward to your comments. Have a great voyage!

Edited by Seaflower50

We are taking this cruise in reverse order in July. Look forward to your comments. Have a great voyage!

We did the Bucharest/Cologne Grand European tour last July. Be aware that river levels can be quite low that time of year. We made it through the low water spot about a week before they closed the river.

And the temperatures were hot, HOT, HOT! Until we finally got up close to Cologne, the temperatures were 90+ every day.

Heat doesn't bother us too much - we live in Florida and our traveling companions are from Texas!! Well hope for high water!
You should hope for not too high water - if it gets too high you can't get under the bridges:mad: We lost one day of cruising last year on the Rhone because the water flow was so great the river was closed to cruise boats. That is the only day I have ever lost river cruising in over a dozen trips:).

Thom

All this talk about hot temperatures has got me thinking about cooling off! Any place/time for a swim?! We will be on BEST OF BURGUNDY, BEAUJOLAIS & PROVENCE in early June.

Most river cruises do not have pools. That being said, I did see one with a small swimming pool when we were in Amsterdam. I've only been on two with pools: Egypt (filled with ice water) and Russia (filled with green water)...:D But the A/C works really well.

All this talk about hot temperatures has got me thinking about cooling off! Any place/time for a swim?! We will be on BEST OF BURGUNDY, BEAUJOLAIS & PROVENCE in early June.
Sorry, but unless it has been added since last year, the Vantage River Discovery II that does this trip does NOT have a pool. In Lyon we docked right beside a large public pool, but since it was not open in April, I can't provide any more details.

There are very few river boat pools on boats in France or the Rhine-Main-Danube, but most of the boats on the Douro River in Portugal do have pools.

Thom

Vantage's chartered ship on the Amazon had a small soaking tub on the aft deck. Did not get much use but it was refreshing the couple of times we sat in it. Would have been nice on the Irrawaddy trip and wish there was one on the Mekong that we will be on in November.

We are on the 15 May Vantage Portugal and Douro river. Does anyone know what types of electrical outlets are in the cabins? DW wants to know. If there are no 110 outlets I can take a transformer.
No 110 outlets that I can recall. Douro Spirit has pretty decent free standing (not wall mounted) hair dryers (as did the hotels we stayed in). Most electronics (battery chargers, computers, etc) can operate on either 110 or 220. What is she plugging in? The only thing I can readily think of that would need 110 is a curling/flat iron, but many of them have a manual switch that limits heating to "Low" on 110, which will then give "High" when plugged into 220. Are you talking "Transformer" or "adapter plug"? I always carry adapter plugs which merely allow you to plug your US gear into European 220 outlets, and are small, light and cheap. Transformers to change 220 actually into 110 are not small, light or cheap. I'd consider buying dual voltage items before I'd carry a transformer.

Thom

No 110 outlets that I can recall. Douro Spirit has pretty decent free standing (not wall mounted) hair dryers (as did the hotels we stayed in). Most electronics (battery chargers, computers, etc) can operate on either 110 or 220. What is she plugging in? The only thing I can readily think of that would need 110 is a curling/flat iron, but many of them have a manual switch that limits heating to "Low" on 110, which will then give "High" when plugged into 220. Are you talking "Transformer" or "adapter plug"? I always carry adapter plugs which merely allow you to plug your US gear into European 220 outlets, and are small, light and cheap. Transformers to change 220 actually into 110 are not small, light or cheap. I'd consider buying dual voltage items before I'd carry a transformer.

Thom

Thom,

DW has a charger for the battery of her camera. I think she will appreciate your providing us with the information that hair dryers are provided on the boat.

I have a full transformer that will convert 220 to 110. Also, I have the adapter plugs that are not transformers. The key is knowing that what you plug in with the adapter to the 220 receptacle will truly adapt, not fry. I will probably take the transformer anyway, since it is not one of those huge things like when we lived in Germany 25 years ago.

4774Papa- The camera battery will be fine just using the converter plug.

We fried a TV using a transformer in Germany. The US plug didn't have the little tip that keeps polarity straight, and we plugged it in wrong. 50/50 shot, right? After repair the shop put tape on the plug so we'd know which way to plug in. Not a big loss, we could only watch VCR tapes from back home since we didn't live on base. Lots of book reading and walks, so not bad looking back.

Have a great trip.

4774Papa- The camera battery will be fine just using the converter plug.

We fried a TV using a transformer in Germany. The US plug didn't have the little tip that keeps polarity straight, and we plugged it in wrong. 50/50 shot, right? After repair the shop put tape on the plug so we'd know which way to plug in. Not a big loss, we could only watch VCR tapes from back home since we didn't live on base. Lots of book reading and walks, so not bad looking back.

Have a great trip.

Thanks, but DW now wants to take her MAC laptop. Don't want to fry that.

Thanks, but DW now wants to take her MAC laptop. Don't want to fry that.

No problem plugging a Mac into European current, you only need the adapters not the transformer. Just check on the plug or wall-wart for anything: if you see 110-220 you are OK.

Thank you all for the responses! I really meant anywhere near the ports for a swim!!I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer. I do appreciate those who took the time to try to help another cc member!

Thank you all for the responses! I really meant anywhere near the ports for a swim!!I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer. I do appreciate those who took the time to try to help another cc member!

Don't think you'll find much of that either. River cruises dock on riverbanks and they don't usually lend themselves to pools. The only "pool" I did see was actually a cargo ship that was turned into a pool and the river bank was covered with sand! But I don't bring my bathing suit on a river cruise any more...since I've never used it.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We've mostly used Vantage Air (especially for longer trips--China, India) but have booked our own for a few itineraries. We recently had a trip cancelled by Vantage (actually not their fault--the charter company Haimark went bankrupt). We were given the choice of rebooking on a different ship (different itinerary) and we turned them down. Full refund immediately.

Ok - I'm getting curious. It sounds like your March cruise circumnavigating Cuba got cancelled. Am I right?

-Rose

that's too bad..one of the best meals we had in France was in Lyon.

Oh and BTW, it's a good thing you didn't book Great Lakes....like I did. :mad:

Ok - I'm getting more curious. Which date did you book for the Great Lakes? I am wondering if are cruise is going to be cancelled.

-Rose

Rose: I gave a deposit for 2017 great lakes...when I saw the price I cancelled and am supposed to get deposit back...then I saw last week that all Haimark cruises including Cuba have been cancelled indefinitely. Vantage is still showing them on line but $15,000 for a 10 day domestic trip is ridiculously over-priced

Vantage has pulled a "bait and switch" with a few of these tours and I'm not biting!! We chose not to go on the Cuba cruise as it was not going to be the same as the Haimark ship (still in bankruptcy) with a different itinerary, smaller sailing vessel, less days for just about the same cost. They are still advertising the Cuba trip online and in their brochures but show several different vessels and have the caveat (subject to changes). We'll wait until things become more certain!!