Bucharest (Transylvania excursion) 3 day tour

Harley0711

Looking to book a River cruise starting in Bucharest - They are offering a 3 night excursion thru Romania and Transylvania region - I always like to arrive a few days before a cruise and like most of us - grew up reading about Transylvania and of course (the Man himself) Dracula - legend or not - would be an interesting place to see and cross off the bucket list (so to speak)

Anyone do one of these? This one is being offered by Viking at about $600 PP for those three days...

Or better to do this on our own - Meaning book those three days with a privat tour???

If you go up one level to the main River Cruising forum page and click on "Search This Forum" for the word "transylvania" [search by Post] you will find several recent discussions of these excursions, including Viking and independent choices.

If you go up one level to the main River Cruising forum page and click on "Search This Forum" for the word "transylvania" [search by Post] you will find several recent discussions of these excursions, including Viking and independent choices.

OK, went to River Cruising page - clicked search - clicked advanced - typed

Transylvania

clicked 'titles only' and I just did it and did the entire post, NOT just titles... got more hits...

thanks,,,

Edited by Harley0711

OK, went to River Cruising page - clicked search - clicked advanced - typed

Transylvania

clicked 'titles only' and I just did it and did the entire post, NOT just titles... got more hits...

thanks,,,

Yes, the point of "by Post" is to search through the full text of the posts. Many threads on this board cover a fairly broad range of topics ;)

Harley0711- We're doing this trip with Vantage in September.

I looked at Viking's extension when I was price shopping. The thing I didn't like about the Viking Transylvania extension is that 2 of the 3 nights are in Bucharest, only 1 is in Brasov.

With Vantage, the extension is 3 nights in Brasov, and 1 night in Bucharest.

We originally planned on taking this, but they dropped an included tour that we really wanted. The more I dug into it, we can do this on our own much cheaper. There are numerous tour packages for day trips, and you can take the train to Brasov easily enough (or so it seems from reading peoples trip reports, check tripadvisor).

id4elizabeth is taking this cruise with Viking in a week or so, and she palns on using a private guide to see Transylvania. It'll be very interesting to hear her thoughts when she returns.

Good luck.

Id4elizabeth here - we officially started our Viking river cruise tonight (at the Sofitel Hotel) in Budapest. Will be in Transylvania in a little over a week. I too looked carefully at the extension and realized they really don't spend that much time in Transylvania. I have a private guide lined up who is offering 4 full days in Transylvania at the same hotel as Viking is using in Brasov all for less money. And by private, I mean a car, a driver, a guide, and the two of us - not a busload. I will let you know how it works out.

We did Transylvania with a private guide in 2008, staying in two delightful mountain villages and in Sighisoara, which was just delicious. Sighisoara is supposed to be the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler whom some liken to the Dracula of Bram Stoker's fiction.

Wish we had ventured a little further to the painted monastery at Mamures. would love to return.

Id4elizabeth here - we officially started our Viking river cruise tonight (at the Sofitel Hotel) in Budapest. Will be in Transylvania in a little over a week. I too looked carefully at the extension and realized they really don't spend that much time in Transylvania. I have a private guide lined up who is offering 4 full days in Transylvania at the same hotel as Viking is using in Brasov all for less money. And by private, I mean a car, a driver, a guide, and the two of us - not a busload. I will let you know how it works out.

id4elizabeth- Thanks for chimming in, didn't realize your trip had already started. Have a great time, hope the weather and trip are all you've wished for!

(and take lots of notes please!)

We are doing this itinerary in 2017 with Avalon and the extension was about $500 per person, so I researched a private tour and it is considerably less expensive, so if we do it, we will book with a private provider. There are several that get good ratings from Trip Advisor.

Cole

My group of 7 did Transylvania with a private guide 10 years ago. We traveled from Bucharest in a brand new Mercedes Sprinter, staying in nice hotels: 1 night in Sibiu, 1 night in Sighisoara, 2 nights in Suceava for the Painted Monasteries, 2 nights in Brasov with visits to Sinaia and a last night in Bucharest before delivery to the airport. The price included transportation, all admissions and guide service, and all hotels with breakfasts, for less money than a 3 night (2 day) cruise line extension would have cost. Lunches & dinners were out of pocket, except for a Farewell dinner. Before we got to Romania we had received a proposed itinerary, and we had made one change to that proposal prior to arrival. We made several minor itinerary changes on the fly; the deal was if the whole group agreed the change was made. The guide was knowledgeable and delightful. Since it was a decade ago I will not make a specific recommendation for a guide, but we were highly pleased with going it on our own.

Thom

Id4elizabeth here - we officially started our Viking river cruise tonight (at the Sofitel Hotel) in Budapest. Will be in Transylvania in a little over a week. I too looked carefully at the extension and realized they really don't spend that mucfh time in Transylvania. I have a private guide lined up who is offering 4 full days in Transylvania at the same hotel as Viking is using in Brasov all for less money. And by private, I mean a car, a driver, a guide, and the two of us - not a busload. I will let you know how it works out.

I am Very interested in your 4 days in Bukarest / Transylvania - please take notes, get contact info. I just booked July 2017 - we will arrive 4 days early in Bukarest. Enjoy your time. My personal email is below

We did Transylvania with a private guide in 2008, staying in two delightful mountain villages and in Sighisoara, which was just delicious. Sighisoara is supposed to be the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler whom some liken to the Dracula of Bram Stoker's fiction.

Wish we had ventured a little further to the painted monastery at Mamures. would love to return.

I have read and studied Valad over the uears - Interesting Guy - very effective mental warfare on his enemies.

could you contact me at the email below, I would love to talk to you about your private tour adventure