Amazon on the Breamar

Just back from the Amazon on the Breamar.

Had a lovely time, there is no such thing as a bad cruise, but I am sorry to say we were very disappointed in the general content of the cruise.

First tho, the service, staff and food were all first class. As usual. If there are better staff on a cruise ship I have yet to find them.

But......

Booked a 14 night, 13 day cruise. 5 ports of call. Before we left they dropped a port, then we never called at Devils Island, due to swell. So ended up with 4 days on land the rest at sea.

Now I would be interested to learn just how many times Fred has landed at Devils Island. A crew member told me he couldn't remember the last time.

Entertainment.....the group in the Coral didn't play for 5 nights. Due to work visa issues. Now that's just sloppy.

The comedian is funny, the first time you see him, we saw him last year and it was the same act, word for word.

The Show Group are fine and very enthusiastic.

Plenty of Ballroom and Sequence. Although some dancers should learn to stick to the line of dance on a ships floor. It's not Strictly.

Ports of call.....we landed at Santerim on a National Holiday, and nothing was open. Sorry but can't Fred plan a bit better.

Manaus highlight tour consisted of a visit to the Opera House and a Botanical Garden. Say no more....

Night trip Caymen spotting was jolly good.

The Bomba Festival in Parantines was fantastic.

I am often accused of being a Fred Cheerleader, so the above negatives really upset me.

I think Fred sold me an Amazon cruise that triggered my imagination and unfortunately the reality didn't match my imagination.

This will not put us off Fred and we are booked for the Azores in September, but the content has left a disappointment.

Embarkation and disembarking was spot on for Manchester flight. Some Gatwick flight passengers were spitting feathers as it took some of them 4 hours to get from the airport to the ship.

AI deal drinks were fine as usual. Drank all the wines and they were fine for us. They have changed the AI whisky since September and it was much improved.

Three formal nights, all adhered to. Birthday Cake one night for our party. Gala Buffet always superb.

Interested to read any other reviews, as everyone is different.

Happy Cruising.

Many years ago I visited Devil's Island on the old "Black Prince". We got ashore with no problems but the return trip on the tenders was quite an experience. In today's obsession with Heath and Safety and the current vogue for litigation I doubt if such a trip would ever have taken place. It was a fascinating visit so a great pity that you didn't make it.

Just back from the Amazon on the Breamar.

Had a lovely time, there is no such thing as a bad cruise, but I am sorry to say we were very disappointed in the general content of the cruise.

First tho, the service, staff and food were all first class. As usual. If there are better staff on a cruise ship I have yet to find them.

But......

Booked a 14 night, 13 day cruise. 5 ports of call. Before we left they dropped a port, then we never called at Devils Island, due to swell. So ended up with 4 days on land the rest at sea.

Now I would be interested to learn just how many times Fred has landed at Devils Island. A crew member told me he couldn't remember the last time.

Entertainment.....the group in the Coral didn't play for 5 nights. Due to work visa issues. Now that's just sloppy.

The comedian is funny, the first time you see him, we saw him last year and it was the same act, word for word.

The Show Group are fine and very enthusiastic.

Plenty of Ballroom and Sequence. Although some dancers should learn to stick to the line of dance on a ships floor. It's not Strictly.

Ports of call.....we landed at Santerim on a National Holiday, and nothing was open. Sorry but can't Fred plan a bit better.

Manaus highlight tour consisted of a visit to the Opera House and a Botanical Garden. Say no more....

Night trip Caymen spotting was jolly good.

The Bomba Festival in Parantines was fantastic.

I am often accused of being a Fred Cheerleader, so the above negatives really upset me.

I think Fred sold me an Amazon cruise that triggered my imagination and unfortunately the reality didn't match my imagination.

This will not put us off Fred and we are booked for the Azores in September, but the content has left a disappointment.

Embarkation and disembarking was spot on for Manchester flight. Some Gatwick flight passengers were spitting feathers as it took some of them 4 hours to get from the airport to the ship.

AI deal drinks were fine as usual. Drank all the wines and they were fine for us. They have changed the AI whisky since September and it was much improved.

Three formal nights, all adhered to. Birthday Cake one night for our party. Gala Buffet always superb.

Interested to read any other reviews, as everyone is different.

Happy Cruising.

We did this cruise on Braemar in 2012. The ports of call back then were Santarem, Parintins, Manaus & Scarborough, Tobago. We made them all, including Scarborough which we thought we would miss because of a 14 hour delayed departure from Manaus - didn't think that Braemar was capable of such speed! Devils Island was not part of the itinerary back then although I would love to visit one day.

Again, back then there was no AI for £10 pppn to console oneself with if things didn't go to plan!

As a matter of interest I noticed, looking at our itinary there were three included theme nights -1 Tropical, 1 International & 1 Rock & Roll. Apart from the British sing along Fred seems to have abandoned the theme nights [not before time I say!]

I have to say that the piranha fishing trip on this cruise was one of the best ships tours we have ever done.

We really enjoyed the cruise but I must say that if we had been promised Devils Island and then didn't make it we would probably have been disappointed as well. It would perhaps be better if Fred removed it from the itinerary and replaced it with another port.

In the last couple of years we have done two cruises with Voyages of Discovery on the Voyager. Because it is a small ship it can visit ports inaccessible to larger vessels and they have some interesting itineraries. However, on both cruises two ports were cancelled [naturally the ones we wanted to visit because no one else went there]. I have accepted that whatever the cruise there is always the chance that a seemingly inaccessible port may be just that and add to the bucket list for the future!

As you say, it won't put you off cruising with Fred, as it wouldn't us [we have four booked this year] - the positives always outweigh the negatives.

Many years ago I visited Devil's Island on the old "Black Prince". We got ashore with no problems but the return trip on the tenders was quite an experience. In today's obsession with Heath and Safety and the current vogue for litigation I doubt if such a trip would ever have taken place. It was a fascinating visit so a great pity that you didn't make it.

We also visited Devil's Island when we cruised on the Amazon in 2002 on Braemar. Like you, I believe we wouldn't be allowed to do it now as we got ashore easily enough but the weather turned and the wind picked up and it was a choppy ride back to the ship. The crew took along time helping the passengers off the tender as there was no pontoon, and you stepped right on to the ship and there was quite a step between the two vessels......the timing had to be perfect.

It was a great cruise.:D

Just wondering what would happen now if they got people over to a port ok, but when it came to the return journey they found it was too dangerous for the tenders. We were on a ship where we got ashore, then tenders were suspended as the weather turned, and the ship even tried to find a safe place on the other side of the island to take tenders out to no avail. It came back to it's anchorage and waited a long time before getting tenders to bring us back to the ship. The bouncy ride back was fun - to me but not for others I admit - but wondered if they ever have to leave folk.

Hi everybody.

Interesting hearing of others experiences.

We also wondered what would happen if they had managed to get us on to the island then couldn't get us back.

They did launch a tender and we all watched it bob about. The cynic in me thought it was for our benefit to show they were trying 😄

Some of the people on the cruise had difficulty walking down the normal gangplank in Port so a tender without a pontoon....scarey

Some Ports of Call I wouldn't mind a few days on but Devils Island I don't think Papillon had AI.......

• 2 weeks later...

Freds reply has arrived. As one would expect. Very thorough reply with all my disappointments answered.

I don't agree with their conclusions, but at least they replied and had obviously researched my comments.

Will leave it at that as I do not like revealing private correspondence in an open forum. and whilst booked in September with them, are probably jumping ship for the Carribean next January.

Happy cruising everybody.

Freds reply has arrived. As one would expect. Very thorough reply with all my disappointments answered.

I don't agree with their conclusions, but at least they replied and had obviously researched my comments.

Will leave it at that as I do not like revealing private correspondence in an open forum. and whilst booked in September with them, are probably jumping ship for the Carribean next January.

At least Fred's Customer Service is very prompt with their reply; I have always been very impressed at how "human" they are - you actually get to speak to people who know their product!

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Cruising.

Some time ago but I was on Braemar in December 2003 and we called at Devils Island before heading up the Amazon.

22080581994_297d3008e1_z.jpg

I also signed up for a FO excursion which entailed a flight from Manaus to view the confluence the Amazon and Rio Negro...

8279920021_8b99ce2402_z.jpg

I seem to recall the original excursion was cancelled due to low take up. I eventually managed a flight and it was well worth it. The pilot even made a photo pass over Braemar...

8279920347_ba5795e43a_z.jpg

You are very wise. I have heard that Fred Olsen take a dim view of those who would give them 'grief' and they become marked moaners.

Those photos look really good. Recognise Manaus.

I usually write to Fred after most of our cruises telling them how much we enjoyed our cruise. In fact somebody called me a Fred Cheerleader on here. This is the first time we have ever had a disappointment.

I think I may in fact be a serial "complimenter" but it doesn't seem to have done us much good in the way of upgrades or dining with the Capitano.....

If you are listening Fred, we are on the Balmoral in September......

Happy cruising .....

Edited by 1160451

Sorry to hear the sad tale of your Amazon experience (or not). The thread was started just after we went to Cuba for 4 weeks and this is the first time I have seen it.

The Amazon was our first cruise in November 2006. We did a 26 night back to back with Swan Hellenic on Minerva II (now Adonia - but run very differently to how P&O have been running it). We had a full two weeks up the Amazon and with the included excursions we did all sorts of things giving us the best cruise memory we could ever have.

Boi Bumba was particularly memorable - that may have been enhanced by the complimentary caipirinhas we had! There had been problems the previous year and the cruise director gave a stiff warning as we left, "They will be giving out caipirinhas - these are NOT soft drinks".

We did make Devils Island as the sea was completely flat. It is actually Isle Royale that is landed - Devil's Island is just across from there and cannot be accessed. There is a derelict penal colony on Isle Royale, but also a rather posh Auberge - the island is French. I had had a very light breakfast and asked if they had anything to eat (in our best french) and the reply came, "Une Bagette". Well it was lovely, as was the Auberge garden with the sea views. We posted some post cards there - at European rates! As people got off the tender they all went left, but we had been told there would be time to either go up to the penal colony or walk round the island. So with our lack of herd instinct we turned right and walked around the island, almost alone but a group of three staff were just ahead of us and pointed out a rodent, (forget what they are called, but it was the size of a small pig). It was just like being alone on a tropical island and we saw turtles swimming in the sea. We did have time to go up to the old penal colony and have that drink and bagette afterwards.

We had to pre book tender transfers there when we booked trips (a number of weeks before the cruise) as Swan's planning is impeccable. We booked swiftly and got the first tender, but there were problems with some later tenders as the Auberge had a boat on the landing stage so our tenders could not get in for a while. That did mean that, sadly, some people had very little time on the island as it was only a morning call - but the landing stage does belong to the Auberge.

Tenders are always iffy, but having a port pulled before you left is another matter entirely. I think Fred do that sort of thing on purpose. We should have called at Fogo (Cape Verde) in November and it was pulled about a week before we sailed, the excuse being that we would have needed a tender and shuttle bus. We had booked the cruise on board the previous year and the shore excursion chap told us it would be a tender port so there is no way Fred did not know about it. The Captain also let out at the welcome cocktail party that it had been pulled a couple of months before the cruise, (not that we were told). That cruise sold better than other similar cruises - presumable because of Fogo, so they were happy to go on selling that cruise with Fogo on the itinerary!

We are now booked on the 'Around Ireland' sailing on 30th May and the itinerary says Cobh, yet I picked up in January that Boudicca is scheduled to go into Ringaskiddy DWB according to the port authority and a Princess ship is in Cobh. They are very different ports as there is nothing at Ringaskiddy and Cobh is a lovely port, yet Fred are still saying Cobh. Also Fred have got an itinerary to take Boudicca around Newfoundland in May. I did not think that was viable and mentioned it to my brother who lives in Newfoundland when we visited him on our cruise last year. He fell about laughing, saying he had stood on the coast there at that time of year watching the icebergs flow past! Will Boudicca go round Newfoundland - well we will see, but I will not be putting money on it! Another incidence is when we had to leave Montreal a lot earlier than scheduled last year as Fred had not taken account of sailing speeds in the St Lawrence before planning the cruise. They are just things I have picked up, but I do wonder how many other "mistakes" are made by Fred when they can sell cruises as a consequence!

Errrr, just realise how I have gone on - sorry, but if you get chance do consider a return to The Amazon, perhaps on a cruise line that does more cruises of an adventurous nature. It is a wonderful experience if you can spend time there - you do need the trips though to really experience it though.

Edited by tring

Sorry to hear the sad tale of your Amazon experience (or not).

We did make Devils Island as the sea was completely flat. It is actually Isle Royale that is landed - Devil's Island is just across from there and cannot be accessed... As people got off the tender they all went left, but we had been told there would be time to either go up to the penal colony or walk round the island. So with our lack of herd instinct we turned right and walked around the island almost alone but a group of three staff were just ahead of us and pointed out a rodent, (forget what they are called, but it was the size of a small pig).

You are correct, that was the actual Devil's island Photograph I posted earlier, officially known as Ile du Diable...

8279918219_6cd93c57a0_z.jpg

And here is that Rodent chap...

25642906254_833c133dc7_z.jpg

Even two of them...

26247682105_82a38a97ae_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Those photos look really good. Recognise Manaus.

I usually write to Fred after most of our cruises telling them how much we enjoyed our cruise. In fact somebody called me a Fred Cheerleader on here. This is the first time we have ever had a disappointment.

I think I may in fact be a serial "complimenter" but it doesn't seem to have done us much good in the way of upgrades or dining with the Capitano.....��

If you are listening Fred, we are on the Balmoral in September......����

Happy cruising .....

Hi again.

Yes, the Amazon was an amazing experience, even with Fred Olsen.

The night time Cayman hunt was a particularly good excursion...

26247831655_0ba6dc7e7a_z.jpg

while my favourite was getting to hold a sloth...

26247831395_6f114c1bc8_z.jpg

For anyone interested I have noted from my most recent Oceania brochure that Insignia will be calling at Devil's Island on 16 January 2018

I noticed that a least one ship got into St John's Newfoundland late May last year so see no reason why Boudicca should have any problems.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear regarding Newfoundland.

If you look at an atlas or Google Earth you will see that there is a fairly small channel to the north of Newfoundland, opposite the Labrador coast (I think it is called "The Straight of Belle Isle"). In spring the icebergs come south on the Labrador current and some flow quite nicely through that channel in a south westerly direction. Fred has Boudicca scheduled to sail right around Newfoundland and through that channel in a north easterly direction in May. As I said,my brother fell about laughing when I told him and said he had stood on that coast at that time of year and watched the icebergs flow past. That is what I was commenting on in my earlier thread. Fred has other cruises planned with that itinerary, but they are later in the year so ice would not be an issue.

Yes, St John's is always an iffy port, my brother lives there. I think the usual problem with docking though is rough seas which can happen at any time. Ice could also make a difference and was a particular problem early last year. A few ships had to cancel calls for May because of sea ice last year - but last year the ice was worse than usual. I think Black Watch was the second ship to dock last year, (we were on it), and it was mid June (the 13th if I remember correctly). There were still icebergs reported in the sea around St John's, and when I spoke to the captain the previous day, he did confirm that the call may be cancelled because of ice. We had arranged to meet my brother so were trying to assess the likely hood of docking.

We have a very nice photograph of an iceberg in St John's harbour on our lounge wall - they do go into the harbour at times.

Edited by tring

Some really good photos there Solent Richard. Thanks - they are good to see.

I would always recommend doing as many trips as possible, with a variety of types. We had 2 days in Santarem, 3 in Manaus a visit to Boi Bumba in Parintin, Boca de Valeria and another village which we travelled to up a tributary on a river boat. That second village was much less spoilt than Boca de Valeria. We also called at Belem on the way out of the Amazon - our departure was delayed, so we stayed ashore and had dinner in a restaurant at the side of the river watching the clouds roll in as the sun went down - magical.

We were doing two trips a day (leaving just half a day for independent visits to Manaus and Santarem) and were given a change over day trip to visit a rubber barons house, (a museum), with the rest of the day in an eco resort, where we had lunch and went on yet another forest walk. We did not tire of the forest walks and river boat trips as they were all different and you see much more than from the ship. We spent a long time on deck or in the observation lounge when sailing in the river as well.

Sadly I have not seen an itinerary anything like what we did since then. Swan's inclusive trips were a really good boon on that cruise as well, although we do not like being tripped if we can avoid it. Not so sure they allow two included trips a day now though.

Edited by tring