Kepez, Troy and Gallipoli

JES4845

Friends are soon on SD for the first time after we and another set of friends talked about it favorably after our respective trips. They are going Istanbul to Athens. While we did that route twice, we've never stopped in Kepez. The land adventure options are Troy or Gallipoli. Seem to recall mixed reviews and comments here from others as to how much there is to see at Troy. Any recommendations or comments welcome.

Troy is not very visually striking, like say Ephasus. If they can get a good guide that can bring the history to life, then it is very interesting. And a tour will likely include the ancient history museum that is fairly nearby. We did it via a ship's shorex and it was a nice outing (Seabourn). Though we haven't seen Gallipoli, I would think it would be a better choice for someone with an interest in WWI history.

Friends are soon on SD for the first time after we and another set of friends talked about it favorably after our respective trips. They are going Istanbul to Athens. While we did that route twice, we've never stopped in Kepez. The land adventure options are Troy or Gallipoli. Seem to recall mixed reviews and comments here from others as to how much there is to see at Troy. Any recommendations or comments welcome.

Personally I would do Gallipoli but I am prejudiced since my family is from that area, and I would love to see where my grandparents grew up.

When we were there a couple of years ago, DH went to Troy (he's big into ruins) and enjoyed it, while I went to Gallipoli and loved it. What made it extra special is that we had a group of folks from Australia and NZ and it was touching to see how much it meant to them. It is still a big deal in those countries. The CAD brought along a wreath which the group laid at Lone Pine. When we go back in October, we're both going!

Vandrefalk

• 1 month later...

We went to Troy a couple of years ago on a land tour from our hotel. It was definitely interesting, but we are admitedly suckers for ruins. I enjoyed the drive and was able to stop in a small village grocery after lunch. Quite an experience!