First Time on SeaDream Questions

Cortesefam

My spouse and I are celebrating our 25th Anniversary in January, and I'm working to plan a relaxing/romantic cruise We've generally cruised as a family on larger ships (Carib, Med, Alaska, QM2 crossing), but really enjoyed a Starclippers Greek Island cruise without the kids!

SeaDream sounds perfect, and the size of the ships and island itineraries look great for January. Many of the reviews have focused on the food (generally good) and the condition of the ships (generally fair) and the service (exceptional!), but I've not found much reporting on the activities available on the Caribbean itineraries.

When the ship pulls into the smaller islands, are there tenders to specific beaches, or do people find taxis to beaches? Do they have snorkeling equipment for use off the watersports platform or do you need to sign up for excursions on the ship or find an operator on the island? Much of the appeal is to get to islands we've never been able to visit on bigger ships, but our preference is to be active and in the water as well as spend a little time in the towns or interesting sites on the islands.

We would also welcome any advice on "must-do" activities on the ships--the atmosphere sounds wonderful from the reviews and most of the postings in this forum.

Thanks in advance!

They have snorkle equipment available, but when we went it was not plentiful and not in very good condition. If you have room, bring your own mask and snorkel, use SD's fins. I don't think you can snorkle from the swim platform, but on a few tendered (well, zodiac) stops you may be within walking distance of snorkling. We did that at a couple of places but there wasn't much to see. I would advise having the concierge arrainge something, or do it yourself ahead of time. Like a catamaran cruise to a good snorkel spot.

On Anagada we rented one of the very few jeeps available and circumnavigated the island, snorkeling at a couple of spots, and having lunch afterwards at a very isolated beach bar/restaurant.

But generally, the snorkeling in the eastern caribbean is not very interesting, compared to Cozumel, Hawaii, etc. An exception is "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda, due to the rock formations. Be aware that you will be leaving your stuff unattended at the snorkle spots, so get a waterproof container for around your neck etc. for money/cards.

Generally, mix up some ship shore-ex with renting a car here and there.

And definitly spend some time by the SD pool:D

Zimmy and I have always brought our own snorkeling gear, including vests and fins. Doesn't take up that much room and it ensures that we always have the gear and it fits. In addition, we like to use dry snorkels, which you don't get on the yacht or on excursions. You can certainly snorkel when the marina is down and it is the time reserved for swimming. We've never done it and I'm not sure how much you can see. You generally aren't near the shore, so the water can be deep. Depending upon where you are, you can sometimes walk to the beach. We have also done snorkeling excursions with the cruise and found them to be pretty good and reasonably priced. A caveat about booking your own excursions - due to conditions of the seas, it is not unusual for SD (or any ship for that matter) to skip a port. If they can't get you on and off the tender safely, they will take you someplace else. We had one cruise where we were anchored off Virgin Gorda for three days simply because the seas were too rough. St. Barts, where we were supposed to be for New Year's Eve, had evacuated the harbor. Had we paid for our own tours, we would have been out of luck. Didn't keep us from having a wonderful time, though. There are also bikes on board that you can use to get around the islands.

As for must-do activities on the ship, the best thing is relaxing on a Bali bed with a good book and a BBC. We love SD for the simple reason that there are no "activities." No rock-climbing, zip lining, water sliding, bingo, horse races or any of the other things you get to do on big ships. We make new friends and enjoy having someone come around every once in a while to clean your sunglasses or bring you watermelon skewers. In the Carib, the one activity is the Champagne and Caviar Splash. Picnic lunch (if you can call it that with china and crystal) and playing on the beach. Evenings are a cocktail party before dinner to learn about the next day's itinerary. Dinner, preferably on deck, can be followed by drinks at the TOY bar or singing in the piano bar. If you are into golf, there is a simulator on board. And the Thai massages are wonderful. Life doesn't get better than that.

Zimmy's DH

Ragnar: Thank you for advice on snorkeling--we were debating bringing our own gear--sounds like we should.

Zimmy's DH: Appreciate your comments about activities/options on the ship--definitely one of the appeals to try SeaDream for this vacation. I enjoyed your previous reviews on your trips earlier this year and in 2012--great reports on the shipboard experience and ports!

Two additional question: First, weather permitting, will dinner be offered on deck most evenings? Second, both SeaDream I and II are available for itineraries in the Carib in January--any particular difference between the two ships from recent cruisers?

Thanks,

Steve

No, the general dinner will probably not be offered on deck most evenings. The first night is always in the dining room, and the night of the degustation dinner is also. And I think maybe one other night. Dinners on deck are usually those when the ship can be in port until after the dinner service is over. And of course, weather permitting.

However, you have the option of dining on deck whenever you want. All you have to do is go to the reception desk and make a reservation, or just ask the maitre'd. We have always been accommodated when we make the request, and we make the request often.

All of our voyages have been on SDI, but we are booked on SDII for both January, 2015 and January, 2016. The decision was itinerary based. Because we have been on the SDI so many times, and know and love the crew, that ship would be our preference were itineraries identical. But that is only because of familiarity. Others prefer the II, and probably for the same reasons.

We really appreciated all the helpful posts on this forum, replies on this thread and Member reviews on Cruisecritic. We confirmed our reservation today for the SeaDream I itinerary roundtrip from St. Thomas on January 17, 2015.

Four of the island destinations will be new experiences for us--Anguilla, St. Barths, Saba and Nevis. There weren't too many staterooms remaining, but we secured #211, which looks to be about midship.

We look forward to any reports from the Caribbean itineraries in December and January--we'll keep watching this forum.

Thanks again for the advice and insights, and we will definitely post a review when we get home.

• 2 months later...

We arrived in St. Thomas yesterday to begin "the island adjustment" process. Weather here is perfect--high 70's and sunny. We are staying at the Inn at Blackbeard's Castle in Charlotte Amalie, which has a spectacular view of the harbor and much West Indies charm. We had dinner at the Mafolie Restaurant at the Mafolie hotel, a 5 minute cab ride up the hill. We sat outside overlooking the lights of the harbor and Charlotte Amalie, and the food was outstanding.

No rush to do anything this morning--nice breakfast enjoying the breeze and the view. Plan to have lunch en route to the ship--will get to the dock around 2:00 p.m.

Will try to report our "first-timer" impressions of the ship and ports as wi-fi access permits over the week. We're excited to finally visit several islands we've always sailed past on bigger ships on family cruises--especially Anguilla and St. Barths.