Mariner - May/June 2016

DaisyUK

Hi everyone. I'm looking into an Alaskan cruise for May or June 2016 and am trying to decide between Regent and Oceania. As well as the itinerary, the accommodations are important to us. Does anyone have pics of the SS Aft suites? Or advice as to whether a different suite category might be better for Alaska?

Edited by DaisyUK

We were in a Seven Seas Aft suite on the Mariner and loved it. I did post pictures but that was several months ago and I do not save photos. The suite is large and has lots of room - except in the closet and it lacks drawer space. That is the only negative I can think of in that suite. IMO, it would be perfect in Alaska because you get wonderful views. I can imagine lying on the Bali type bed on the balcony - all bundled up - watching the views.

Oceania's larger ships are gorgeous (I think they put the older, smaller ships in Alaska). If the Navigator were still in Alaska, I would recommend Oceania but I really cannot recommend Oceania over Regent's Mariner. Another thing to keep in mind is excursions. While Oceania has some excursions included (not familiar with their recently rolled out excursion program), the price for most excursions is easily 2-3 times more expensive on Oceania (comparing them to the "premium" excursions on Regent).

Anyway, that is my 2 cents:)

No can help. We did Alaska in a "dreaded" aft cabin on the Navigator. It was AMAZING and I loved the cabin and the trip (other than the fog we had all week).

Suggestion -- there is SO much to do and with the weather being a risk, Do a B2B on Regent so you have two opportunities for good weather at every port and you can do more stuff.

Or you could do a 14-day cruise in Alaska, which is less expensive than a b2b, though you won't be visiting the same ports twice. (Or maybe a few of them? I'm not sure.) You'll be visiting different ports, some of the "road less travelled" ones, which I'm not sure is a good idea or a not-so.

We loved Alaska on Mariner. (Have never tried Oceania. We're among the cruisers who like included excursions, so we haven't tried other lines. In fact, we've enjoyed pretty much everything about Regent.)

I hope that you have a dandy cruise, whichever way you decide.

Edited by poss

Many thanks for the responses. We have loved our Oceania cruises so far, all of which have been on the Riviera and really couldn't rate it, or the accommodations, more highly. However, we haven't been on the smaller ships and after seeing that the Mariner is going to be in Alaska, and has been refurbished since our very first cruise a few years ago, we are wondering whether Regent might offer a more comfortable/luxurious experience. I agree that the 14-day or B2B is a great idea. So many decisions...:)

Hi Daisy UK!

We have been to Alaska on the Mariner - one of our very best cruises in fact - and we have been in the Seven Seas Aft Suite.

Comparing the Mariner to Riviera - one or two fewer restaurants (nothing like Red Ginger for example) and food not up to the quality on Oceania. But the Mariner is a lovely ship and can get just about anywhere she needs to in Alaska. IF you get good weather there is no scenery in the world like you will see on this cruise. (And remember where I live!!)

Seven Seas Aft suite - from photos I have to say it looks tons better than it did when we were in one. ALL the decor has been changed, furniture etc. We liked the sitting/dining room. The bedroom was OK but a bit tight around the bed. We LOVED the huge terrace. But we hated one thing - to access the bathroom you have to walk through the closet which is not that wide and has a rail on each side so you have the feeling of walking through your clothes. And the staff has to do this too in order to clean the bathroom. I think this is a real negative in terms of the suite.

I know you have been in a Vista Suite and Owners Suite on Riviera and I think you won't like the bedroom/bathroom bit in the SS Aft suite on the Mariner... however you will LOVE the terrace. Now - if they could combine that terrace with the owners suite from the Riviera I would move in...permanently!!

Hi Gerry, thank you for your reply! I am very appreciative of your comments (especially your comments about the scenery given your high standards!); I had no idea about 'walking through the clothes' and forewarned is forearmed.We haven't booked this cruise as we are still trying to decide between Oceania and Regent but are a bit nervous about the R ships, never having been on one. If we do decide on Regent, there are other cabin categories available; I chose the SS Aft because of the size of the terrace but I may have a re-think.