Seven Seas Explorer "Floats Out"

Travelcat2

Here is a short article about the Exporer's float out http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6624 (also information on Seabourn's new ship). This definitely makes it feel real:D

And here is USA's article and photos: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/10/30/regent-explorer-luxury-cruise/74867160/

Edited by Travelcat2

• 1 month later...
I think this is new news about Explorer ...

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/best-of-cruising/2015/12/01/new-cruise-ship-debut-due-2016/76325460/

About the middle of the page, it says "The over-the-top decor includes {...} and an opulent Observation Lounge themed on the Roaring Twenties."

First I've heard about a "roaring twenties theme" anyway.

Great, so now I need to find a Chicago typewriter, a fedora, and a flapper.:rolleyes:

What happened to the new Asian Fusion restaurant, a la Oceania's Red Ginger?

Pacific Rim will definitely be on the Explorer. Hopefully it is more refined than Red Ginger. While we like a lot about Red Ginger, my personal feeling is that it lacks a focus. Being "fusion" is one thing but mixing up too many Asian cultures does not always work. I would like to see authentic Japanese, Chinese and Thai dishes served. Guess we'll have to wait and see what it has to offer.

Pacific Rim will definitely be on the Explorer. Hopefully it is more refined than Red Ginger. While we like a lot about Red Ginger, my personal feeling is that it lacks a focus. Being "fusion" is one thing but mixing up too many Asian cultures does not always work. I would like to see authentic Japanese, Chinese and Thai dishes served. Guess we'll have to wait and see what it has to offer.

Couldn't agree more - we have found Red Ginger to be more Asian Con-Fusion and we find somewhat frustration to dine there.

We are planing our first Regent cruise on this new ship in January 2017 - so thank you for sharing news updates.

Bev

JPR: Very surprised by your comment as I do not care for the Asian Fusion theme. We found some items exemplary while others were, as jakes47 said "Asian Con-Fusion". Really hoping for something better on Regent (especially since the Explorer will be the most luxurious ship at sea (which IMO exceeds both the Riviera and Marina).

The current consensus is that passengers prefer Red Ginger. This fact ha been noted in other folders. (Jacques used to be #1). Spicy duck salad and miso fish are top sellers. We also enjoy the ambience. Toscana has been our least favorite but recently appeared to have improved.

A chacun son gout...

Edited by JPR

The current consensus is that passengers prefer Red Ginger. This fact ha been noted in other folders. (Jacques used to be #1). Spicy duck salad and miso fish are top sellers. We also enjoy the ambience. Toscana has been our least favorite but recently appeared to have improved.

A chacun son gout...

Due to the popularity of Red Ginger, Oceania's Sirena will have Red Ginger onboard. Toscana and Polo Grill are eliminated and blended into Tuscan Steak, an Italian steakhouse. And during lunchtime, the MDR will be transformed into Jacques' Bistro, featuring classic, simple French dishes.

Back on subject, we'll be aboard the Explorer a year from now for a 2-week southern Caribbean cruise, celebrating my wife's birthday (and maybe onboard Sirena in October for my birthday!).

• 4 weeks later...
Two new articles today, both on the subject of foodie tours in the Mediterranean:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6739

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/06/seven-seas-explorer-culinary-tours/78349032/

I'm kind of partial to the samples they give out free at Costco (sans stars), so not likely that I'd spring for a $799 foodie tour. Do they even have Costco stores in the Med?

Thanks for posting those articles. Yes - definitely costly excursions. On our first Riviera cruise a couple of years ago, we decided to splurge on Oceania's version of these food excursions at the cost of about $500/person. We went to a Greek restaurant where we prepared the dishes we would have for lunch (small versions - the kitchen actually prepared our meals). It was very hands-on - we were doing everything from kneading dough to slicing and cooking eggplant. While we were cooking there ware glasses of wine and Ouzo on a tray where we could help ourselves. We were encouraged to taste different foods and spices. The meal was amazing.

From the description in the articles, the food excursions on the Explorer will be a bit more upscale. Would we do it again? Probably not but there certainly are Regent passengers that will........ after all, there will be passengers on the ship that pay $10,000/night to be in the ultra luxury Regent suite.

BTW, we like Costco samples as well!

P.S. Just went to the Regent site and found the following "pop-up" "We are currently experiencing telephony issues with our toll-free lines and are working on correcting the matter. For your convenience, please use our website for rates, availability, information and to reserve a cruise. Our travel partners may also visit the website’s travel agent center to make a new reservation, process payments on pending options or cancel a reservation. Or you can contact us at 954 776-6123. We apologize for any inconveniences. Thank you."

I'm posting this because it is the first time in my memory that Regent communicated this type of information on their site. Very impressive!

I just noticed that 2 of these special tours are offered on our cruise next September. The prices do not seem outrageous for what is on offer compared to their other tours for which there is an extra charge. I actually will probably do at least one of these--the one in Catania--and maybe both.

Two new articles today, both on the subject of foodie tours in the Mediterranean:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6739

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/06/seven-seas-explorer-culinary-tours/78349032/

I'm kind of partial to the samples they give out free at Costco (sans stars), so not likely that I'd spring for a $799 foodie tour. Do they even have Costco stores in the Med?

Interesting that those tours aren't available on the maiden voyage. At least when I booked my excursions there was nothing of the sort listed.

Interesting that those tours aren't available on the maiden voyage. At least when I booked my excursions there was nothing of the sort listed.

I see the same list of culinary excursions listed on the maiden voyage as other voyages - it was just a bit difficult to find. While they do not give prices, here is a link to the page I found when perusing the maiden voyage of the Explorer. http://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/gourmetexplorertours/default.aspx#Content

Note: When you do a search for the maiden voyage and get to the main page, you will see this paragraph to the right of the itinerary - this where you click to get to the page I linked above.

CULINARY ARTS KITCHEN CLASSES ABOARD SEVEN SEAS EXPLORER®

The Culinary Arts Kitchen aboard Seven Seas Explorer will provide guests with all the ingredients to expand their culinary skills in a welcoming environment reminiscent of the most prestigious cooking schools in France in both layout and design. Click here for a full list of culinary classes currently available

Edited by Travelcat2