Fred's cutbacks affecting unusual port stop policy

tring

We have just got details of an itinerary change for a cruise starting in less than two weeks time (12th Nov). There was originally a really good itinerary with four stops in Cape Verde, including Fogo. Fogo has now been dropped in favour of Fuerteventura - another Canary Island which can easily be visited on a land holiday. The reason is cited as being because a tender and shuttle bus is required to visit Sao Felipe, yet that has always been the case, so presumably it has been cancelled for cost reasons. There is no other way to get to Sao Filipe on Fogo if arriving by cruise ship, or even ferry. The itinerary has been completely re shuffled as well.

Our cruise has sold really well and I would assume that, like us, many people were attracted by that more unusual Cape Verde port. There are similar cruises offerred by Fred after that, (and one that departed yesterday), which do not include Fogo. They have loads of availability and have been reduced considerably for a very long time. Our cruise has only just been reduced, (to a lesser extent), as it has very little availability. So Fred was quite happy to keep that itinerary advertised to get bookings prior to this.

I know that ports can always be changed, and as a tender port there were always risks with Fogo, but there is no reason why they advertised the cruise with the original itinerary and gave no indication of changing it before now. This would appear to be deliberately misleading.

We have come across other situations where Fred is offerring a schedules which are not viable recently - is this deliberate or just incompetent? Either way it is making it likely that we will look to other cruise companies in future.

Interesting,

The reason is cited as being because a tender and shuttle bus is required to visit Sao Felipe, yet that has always been the case, so presumably it has been cancelled for cost reasons.

As you say, many ports are at tender so I can't understand that as a reason for cancellation.

Just out of interest, when you say there is a lot of availability on other cruises, what do you base that on??

wft

Interesting,

As you say, many ports are at tender so I can't understand that as a reason for cancellation.

Just out of interest, when you say there is a lot of availability on other cruises, what do you base that on??

wft

Fred's website - I have been monitoring it for some time, if you go into 'prices' on a specific cruise it gives prices and availability. I have also done the odd mock booking which gives greater detail on that. The other four cruises have been vastly reduced for a long time as well. Ours has been coming up in the reduced list, but at the price it was being sold at initially, (over £1,000 for cheapest cabin + £250 for flights).

Our cruise now comes up as the same price as the cruise departing 26th Nov when first viewed, but the later cruise includes flights, drinks pack and even tips, whereas they are still being charged for on our cruise for the 12th Nov departure, (about £460).

I am not complaining about what we paid as we chose to book early, but I do not like the way they were advertising something that is not to be supplied. If they could not tender because of bad weather that would be a different matter. Fogo reqires a shuttle bus as well as a tender, but they must have known that when the cruise was first advertised. They have not been offering anchor fares on our cruise, so would presumably have to stand the cost of the shuttle bus themselves for virtually all passengers.

Other changes in the itinerary has made our original plans unviable in a couple of ports (car hire and travelling further from the port), but that is more a personal thing and may not affect other people the same as us, but you do book a cruise on the basis of an itinerary and full days or late nights do give more flexability for passengers which is lost if that time in port is reduced. Our cruise is also the only one to visit Porto Novo, which is still on the itinerary and will no doubt have been appealing to some people, but Fred went there last year and we were onboard then - which admittedly is again a personal perspective.

Edited by tring

I do agree with the dropping of the port Tring. And one Canary Island is the same as another cept Fuerteventura is windier. Ah well, more Primor shops to get the make up I can't get in the UK that I swear by....