NCL vs RCCL

AndyT3

Hi everyone. We've been booked now with NCL in a suite for quite some time now. However, I've been seriously considering canceling our booking on the Dawn next October, and booking a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. The ship itself just seems so much more appealing to us.

However, is there anything I should know that would be a major difference between the two lines? I've just started doing my research on RCCL, but figured this would be a good stop to ask everyone here their opinion.

Thanks!

Warning...I am very biased toward RCI when it comes to RCI vs NCL. But it's because of my experiences on both lines, including the Dawn.

Personally, I think Dawn is one of the worst cruise ships at sea. Service was awful and the ship was poorly maintained. That, of course, can change from cruise to cruise but what they can't change is the design of the ship. They changed the best lounge on the ship to a bunch of suites and moved the secondary show lounge to a small claustrophobic room in the center of the ship. Attending shows is awful and it's shoulder-to-shoulder people in there.

Anthem, on the other hand, is a brand new ship. I have not yet sailed Anthem but my overall feelings of RCI are much better than NCL. NCL has become too much of an ala cart, nickel and dime cruise line.

I can't think of any scenario I'd pick the Dawn over the Anthem. I recommend changing.

Thanks for the quick reply, and your opinion.

My only concern is the dining on RCI. I liked the idea of the freestyle dining on NCL. I see they have a dynamic option with RCI, but it looks like the option is no longer available for the RCI sailing we're looking at.

Therefore, is it a more traditional "cruise" dining experience on RCI? I assume you still can visit any of the smaller dining locations as you wish?

Thanks for the quick reply, and your opinion.

My only concern is the dining on RCI. I liked the idea of the freestyle dining on NCL. I see they have a dynamic option with RCI, but it looks like the option is no longer available for the RCI sailing we're looking at.

Therefore, is it a more traditional "cruise" dining experience on RCI? I assume you still can visit any of the smaller dining locations as you wish?

I'm not sure what the current status is of Dynamic Dining. Either way, RCI still has the option of anytime dining. They call it "My Time Dining." I actually think it works better on RCI because on NCL, the entire ship is on anytime dining, causing long waits at peak dining times. On RCI, only about 1/3 of the ship is doing My Time Dining.

Right. The My Time option seems to be unavailable for the sailing we were looking into. Not a big deal, really.

So for the standard timed dining options, they sit you with another couple, I assume?

Right. The My Time option seems to be unavailable for the sailing we were looking into. Not a big deal, really.

So for the standard timed dining options, they sit you with another couple, I assume?

Not necessarily. You can request a table for 2. We always do and we always get it.

Although I'm curious....Anthem was built for 100% anytime dining and there is no main dining room...just several smaller ones. If you choose a set time, do the dining rooms rotate like on Disney? How does that work? Sorry, I've been on numerous RCI cruises, but none with DD.

OP are you looking at the suites on RCL ? I only ask because of the perks that come with the suites on Norwegian are amongst the industry's highest. Are you booked in a Haven Suite? You get a private pool area as well as private dining for breakfast and lunch in a designated dining room.

Butler and concierge service as well as insuite dining. Right now with the beverage package incentives you might be coming out ahead price-wise by staying on the Dawn.

I cannot compare the two lines, nor the ships but you need to factor in what you are getting with the suite on NCL.

Wow. I think I may have to get on the phone with NCL and cancel that booking.

Another question, we reserved with NCL, with the beverage, and dining packages. What does RCI have to offer in these categories? Neither of us are big drinkers, but we do enjoy a few drinks at the end of the day, or a soda with a meal. How would this work with RCI? You would just pay per drink, as you go? Or do they offer drink packages, that we could purchase?

Same thing with dining. Do they offer specialty dining on the Anthem? Again, I've just begun my research on RCCI and the ship, so thanks for any info you can give!

OP are you looking at the suites on RCL ? I only ask because of the perks that come with the suites on Norwegian are amongst the industry's highest. Are you booked in a Haven Suite? You get a private pool area as well as private dining for breakfast and lunch in a designated dining room.

Butler and concierge service as well as insuite dining. Right now with the beverage package incentives you might be coming out ahead price-wise by staying on the Dawn.

I cannot compare the two lines, nor the ships but you need to factor in what you are getting with the suite on NCL.

We are currently booked in an aft facing penthouse on NCL. We got the old version of the beverage, and dining packages. Also, prepaid gratuities, and a $200 OBC.

Wow. I think I may have to get on the phone with NCL and cancel that booking.

Another question, we reserved with NCL, with the beverage, and dining packages. What does RCI have to offer in these categories? Neither of us are big drinkers, but we do enjoy a few drinks at the end of the day, or a soda with a meal. How would this work with RCI? You would just pay per drink, as you go? Or do they offer drink packages, that we could purchase?

Same thing with dining. Do they offer specialty dining on the Anthem? Again, I've just begun my research on RCCI and the ship, so thanks for any info you can give!

RCI does also have specialty restaurants and they do offer beverage packages. Whether either are offered for free with the booking depends on the individual booking.

The difference between the 2 lines is, on NCL you still have to pay an 18% gratuity on top of that beverage package and on top of that dining package. On RCI, when it's offered for free, it actually means free. And when its not free and you purchase the packages, the price is the final price. No added nickel and dime like on NCL.

Edited by Aquahound

I think I'm going to cancel NCL and book on RCCI when the deposit refund processes, that way it'll just be seamless. The cruise itself is about $400 cheaper with RCCI, however, it's not in a suite, but just a regular balcony cabin. I don't really mind. I think the ship itself will just be so much better for us, it'll make it worth it.

The difference between the 2 lines is, on NCL you still have to pay an 18% gratuity on top of that beverage package and on top of that dining package. On RCI, when it's offered for free, it actually means free. And when its not free and you purchase the packages, the price is the final price. No added nickel and dime like on NCL.

If the OP booked when the beverage package was first offered there was no 18% gratuity added, they would have gotten a totally free package.

The cruise itself is about $400 cheaper with RCCI, however, it's not in a suite, but just a regular balcony cabin.

$400 cheaper for the cabin price, but are you figuring the nearly $200 in daily service charge that was included in your fare as well as the $200 OBC you are also getting? When considering a Suite runs nearly twice the price of a regular cabin on NCL are you really saving anything?

I think I'm going to cancel NCL and book on RCCI when the deposit refund processes, that way it'll just be seamless. The cruise itself is about $400 cheaper with RCCI, however, it's not in a suite, but just a regular balcony cabin. I don't really mind. I think the ship itself will just be so much better for us, it'll make it worth it.

I would much rather have a nice room on a great ship than a great room on a crap ship.

But another thing to remember is, these 2 ships are not an apples to apples comparison, so that should be considered when comparing prices. Naturally, Anthem is going to be worth more. It's like comparing Kia to a Cadillac.

Another question, whats the deal with the dining rotations, and formal nights, or formal dining venues? I've just come to accept that the My Time Dining option is no longer available for our sailing. Therefore, I will be assigned one of the times. However, from what I've been reading, you are given your dining assignments for each night when you arrive in your cabin. However, will you always be assigned one of the formal dining venues? Or what if I want to stray completely from this schedule, and just eat at one of the specialty venues, or an ala carte restaurant? Please forgive me, however, I've educated myself so deeply on how NCL works, that this is all very new to me.

I cruised the Quantum when she was here and it was one of the most amazing ships I've ever sailed on. Choosing Anthem over Dawn is not only logical - it would be downright insane to pick Dawn (I also hate that ship).

As for your questions about dining, I don't know if you're going to get a straight answer yet because they just announced they were doing away with Dynamic Dining. What I would suggest is going over to the RCI board and asking those specific questions. There's some really knowledgeable folks over there who can probably help.

I haven't sailed the Dawn recently, but I thought she was a good ship both times I sailed on her. I am booked on Anthem next year. The ship looks interesting. I have a few concerns, but they are matters of the ship matching my personal crusing preferences. That said, I am sure that I will greatly enjoy the cruise.

Your question is difficult, because of NCL suite perks vs. no suite.

You like freestyle, and Anthem does have Dynamic Dining. The ship reviews would indicate that DD has not been well received. However, much of the dissatisfaction is from fans of traditional dining. Recent reviews have been more positive, so they are either ironing out the wrinkles, or the DD with fixed times is working (or both). (Note: I like freestyle on NCL and MTD on Royal)

I like both lines equally. With MTD, they are more alike than different. NCL has a more relaxed atmosphere and onboard vibe.

I would much rather have a nice room on a great ship than a great room on a crap ship.

But another thing to remember is, these 2 ships are not an apples to apples comparison, so that should be considered when comparing prices. Naturally, Anthem is going to be worth more. It's like comparing Kia to a Cadillac.

Totally agree, RCCL is my favorite line, I would not consider NCL for any future cruise

Was on Anthem in June and loved it. I have done mostly RCCL cruises but have also sailed on NCL Jade and Getaway. I would say Getaway compares very well to what RCCL has to offer but not so keen on their older ships.

We thought Dynamic Dining worked well. We had assigned late seating, table for 3 and had same wait staff ( Marlon was fab ) who rotated round the 4 restaurants. Same table no. in each dining room.

The schedule was in our cabin and the order is repeated after day 4. The menu changed the second time around in each dining room. Your formal evening is the one where you are in The Grand. You can opt to go to a speciality restaurant or buffet if you don't want to dress up. However dress code has been relaxed considerably since we first started cruising.

The Anthem is a spectacular ship and I think some of the issues from the Quantum have been dealt with. I would go on her again in a heartbeat. Loved the solarium and We Will Rock You was amazing.

I called today to lock in the hold we had on our cabin, while we slept on it. When calling, I asked about the dining situation, and explained to the rep that I would like the Dynamic Dining, which is the new version of My Time dining. She said that sometimes the option becomes unavailable online, but they can change it for you. So, I had her switch it. So, now, as far as I understand, I can choose where and when we dine, instead of being tied down to the scheduled times and venues.

RCI does also have specialty restaurants and they do offer beverage packages. Whether either are offered for free with the booking depends on the individual booking.

They are booked in a suite so they do NOT have to pay 18% on top of the packages, they are included for suites. They are also included for anyone who booked before the end of april regardless of cabin type.

You might want to get your facts straight before you post!

Lois

I called today to lock in the hold we had on our cabin, while we slept on it. When calling, I asked about the dining situation, and explained to the rep that I would like the Dynamic Dining, which is the new version of My Time dining. She said that sometimes the option becomes unavailable online, but they can change it for you. So, I had her switch it. So, now, as far as I understand, I can choose where and when we dine, instead of being tied down to the scheduled times and venues.

You are making the right choice and you are going to love your cruise. And let me go ahead and apologize right now for post #24. As with any anonymous internet board, there are people who get really worked up and say contentious things when their favorite cruise line is not worshiped. Kinda odd actually, but oh well.

If you have any more questions, ask away. Most of us are happy to help. :)