Another thing from the past

CSRAJ81

Another thing taken away from the past, they used to have the midnight buffet that was taken away and "replaced" with the blue lagoon which is great, but now i understand there is no more lobster :mad: For what we pay you would think a small lobster tail can be found! Even room service was added a charge from what i read :eek: Correct me if im wrong:confused:

Midnight buffets went away MANY years ago. File those alongside your episodes of LoveBoat.

Yes on NCL room service has a service charge for anything other than the limited continental breakfast items before 10am. It will be interesting to see if it lasts and/or to what extent other lines adopt similar policies.

As people become more confident in the economy and thus more free with their spending, vendors such as NCL will continue to to take advantage of the loosened purse strings. Yes it svcks but your know what they say about wishing in one hand and s--tting in the other... We know which one fills up first.

Most people who started cruising in the last 10 years have never seen a midnight buffet and think it means the short buffet open for late night munchies. I'd love to see a proper midnight buffet return at least 1X per cruise.

Cruising is nothing like it was in the 70's and 80's at all.

The noisemakers and streamers of the sail away they used to hand out and the mess the port of Miami had to clean up. I still have some of the noisemakers from Royal Caribbean and Cunard they handed out.

The flaming Baked Alaska (although I understand MSC still does this) parade.

Skeet shooting off the side of the ship with a shotgun!

Tips in envelopes.

I began cruising in 1961 and glad I was able to experience the way things were and the various changes along the way.

Some changes have been for the better, others for the worst.

We can't go back. That was then and now is now.

One thing that has not changed is my love for cruising! :)

LuLu

Another thing taken away from the past, they used to have the midnight buffet that was taken away and "replaced" with the blue lagoon which is great, but now i understand there is no more lobster :mad: For what we pay you would think a small lobster tail can be found! Even room service was added a charge from what i read :eek: Correct me if im wrong:confused:
Are there any cruise lines that still have the midnight buffet?

Are there any cruise lines that still have the midnight buffet?

As far as mainstream lines go, Carnival is offering "Journeys" cruises on select longer itineraries that will have throwback days with, among other things from the days gone by, will be a proper midnight buffet.

http://www.carnival.com/journeys.aspx

it is mentioned under the sea days tab

Edited by LMaxwell

As far as mainstream lines go, Carnival is offering "Journeys" cruises on select longer itineraries that will have throwback days with, among other things from the days gone by, will be a proper midnight buffet.

The problem with throwback days is no corresponding throwback prices. Although that might be a good thing for cruises. :cool:

I'd like a throwback cruise that included horse racing. That was awesome. I only ever took one cruise that had that, but for some reason I really enjoyed it.

Horse racing was always fun to see the horses dressed up around the ship. Then liquor people up and let em gamble on the results.

I'd like a throwback cruise that included horse racing. That was awesome. I only ever took one cruise that had that, but for some reason I really enjoyed it.

Horse racing‽ How?

And what's a midnight buffet? I feel left out! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friends and I took a high school graduation cruise (that is a throwback as well - as we were 4 - 18 year old girls traveling alone) and we purchased one of the horses at the auction. We had the best time dressing the horse up and we were like celebrities as we accompanied our horse to events and such. We won the grand prize at the end of the week and the winnings covered our bar bill and all other on board expenses we had - in fact I think we all took money home with us :). It was so much fun - loved horse racing!

I miss the midnight buffets and they were fun. But now I don't want to eat that late anyway.

Back then there were very few balconies. Now there are so many choices. I wouldn't want to cruise without one. And with more entertainment and dining options, I think we have gained a lot.

Seems like I always need to look forward to another cruise.

Horse racing‽ How?

I remember horse racing on several of our earlier cruises. We began cruising in 2001. There were wooden horses with a number and color on them. Each horse had one passenger who was responsible to move the horse with each spin of the wheel or roll of the dice. I really can't remember how the number was chosen. When the number was revealed, the passenger moved their horse forward on the "track". The horse who reached the finish line first won and all those passengers who purchased that number ticket won. The money pool was split between the winners of the race. All this took place on the pool deck. It was a fun way to gamble.

Edited by coffeebean

I remember horse racing on several of our earlier cruises. We began cruising in 2001. There were wooden horses with a number and color on them. Each horse had one passenger who was responsible to move the horse with each spin of the wheel or roll of the dice. I really can't remember how the number was chosen. When the number was revealed, the passenger moved their horse forward on the "track". The horse who reached the finish line first won and all those passengers who purchased that number ticket won. The money pool was split between the winners of the race. All this took place on the pool deck. It was a fun way to gamble.

Ah ok, that makes more sense than an actual HORSE! :-/

The noisemakers and streamers of the sail away they used to hand out and the mess the port of Miami had to clean up. I still have some of the noisemakers from Royal Caribbean and Cunard they handed out.

Tips in envelopes.

Don't forget horse racing!

Harriet

Tips in envelopes.

I remember all of those on my first cruise, it was a Disney cruise in 1988. And the infamous "horse racing"!!