Punctured in Piraeus 16th July 2016

Techno123

Day 7 Athens

After a lie in we strolled down to breakfast at about 8:45am and sat smugly watching people disembark knowing we had another week of luxury to enjoy.

By this point we knew Turkey was completely cancelled and that we now had Rhodes, Cyprus and a sea day. They forgot to mention that Patmos was also cancelled and it took us a while to figure out how they had managed to fit a sea day in. A sea day, I ask you, how was Mr Techno supposed to cycle on a sea day? All requests to clear the top sunbathing deck [emoji467] were met with a regretful 'no' [emoji16]

We ummed and ahhed about going into Athens but it was so hot we decided to go for a stroll around the port and then return to the pool to watch all of the excited newbies arriving helped by several chilled glasses of NF. Plans for tomorrow had to change though so it looks like I'm on my own again [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Week 2

Day 8 Crete

My plan for today was for us to get a taxi to Plaka and then kayak over to Spinalonga, however, three days without cycling was not going to be popular. Fortunately, whilst waiting at the destinations desk to speak to the local rep, I earwigged on another lady who was planning the same trip so I asked if I could join her and her husband and another cruise friendship formed.

We got a taxi to Plaka (€20 each way) but it was pretty windy and the water was too rough for kayaking so we got the fishing boat over (€4 return) had a fascinating walk around Spinalonga (€8 entrance) got the fishing boat back and returned to Ag Nic.

Beloved did a quick 45km around the local hills and after lunch we had a walk around this very pretty town and bought a few bits and pieces. Chatting to a local shop owner he was telling us how bad things are. Whilst not as bad as on the mainland, business is significantly down and many people go to the all inclusive hotels and don't spend much in the local shops and restaurants so it is getting harder and harder to make a living. This is another reason why I think it is great that the chefs can go ashore and spend some of their budget in local markets.

8416ef43617bd8d7da8d48cf76f35b11_thumb.jpg65358a9b568f442984788a659df9db2e_thumb.jpg

08cc3b5d5f4fe0868cf9f81a9f4d5736_thumb.jpgd5dad091bec7e167c0e80638d6a060d8_thumb.jpg

Edited by Techno123

Week 2

Day 9 du du duhhhh the dreaded Sea Day

Well what could we possibly do on a ship filled with food, drink and varied entertainment? I supposed we would have to try.

Bit of a lie in and a late breakfast then a couple of sunbeds in the shade above the sky bar for a quiet read and a nice coffee.

Then down to Chef Jes doing a cooking demo. He made Tom Kah Gai which is a spicy Thai Chicken, coconut and ginger soup - but I don't like soup I was informed as Mr Techno wolfed his down and debated whether I could make it as good as Chef Jes - well darling, I have the recipe so you can always give it a go ;).

Next was team trivia where we came second ( who possibly knows the exact date insulin was discovered? Well someone did) winning a Seabourn visor each. Next was lunch and I had booked for the wine tasting at 3:30pm but not enough people had signed up so I got Dwayne to pour a few different wines at lunch to make up for it (hic).

Edited by Techno123

Week 2

Day 10 Limassol, Cyprus

This is the only moan I am going to make about this cruise. Cyprus is really too far away from everywhere else we visited, we docked in Limassol, not exactly the most scenic part of the island, we had to leave at 2pm to get to Rhodes and then didn't get to Rhodes until 10am. It looks like they are doing Paphos this week which is at least far prettier but even so ....

Right moan over. I did have the most amazing hot stone body massage, head massage and eye treatment from Agnes in the spa.

Now here is something to make you laugh - after 10 days of riding on the wrong (ie right) side of the road beloved forgot that they drive on the left in Cyprus until he nearly crashed into a bus as he went the wrong way round a roundabout - good job he was able to jump onto the pavement :D

Margbem we used this company

bookings@city-airport-taxis.com. +44 (0) 203 5296 985.

It cost us €41 for a Mercedes viano type minibus which comfortably carried both of us, 2 medium suitcases, 2 small suitcases and a very large bike box. We went to the marritima and checked in which was all very easy - driver dropped us at the luggage deposit point but ... For some reason, after the previous disembarkation, the ship was moved to a large container port so we were then bussed for 20 mins out of Venice - wasn't any problem apart from missing a Venice sail away.

Thanks - will look at this company as there are six of us.

How terrible to miss a Venice sail away. I shall be sobbing my heart out if this happens to us as we are taking our two sons and their wife/ fiancee on this cruise to celebrate my 60th and we have bigged up the sailaway so often as it is so wonderful. Did Seabourn give a reason for the change?

Are you coming straight from airport or will you be in Venice overnight before sail-day? Either way, taxi will take you straight to main terminal where you check in and then directed by staff to where ship is berthed. At least that's what happened last time to us. Depending on where ship is, you may be bussed from terminal to gangplank.

Thanks, Stamfordian. We are staying in Venice for a few nights before we board. Don't know how big Marittima is. It looks like there are a lot of ships in that day, all departing at similar times so it will be busy.

Week 2

Day 11 Rhodes

I love Rhodes and had hoped to be able to revisit Lindos and walk to the top of the Acropolis, however, as we didn't dock until 10am, our tours were put back to 12:15pm which would have meant climbing the Acropolis at 1pm on a very hot day. Instead I walked around the harbour, along the beach (paddling in the sea), passed the aquarium and carried on along the coast for a while.

Back for lunch then a walk through the old town.

aa947fc3a5375e710265434c95e780fc_thumb.jpgb01e612b53c164b6e4ea9d7ff4426e8f_thumb.jpg7088e6149833536dfaf25c3c8ad766ca_thumb.jpg0d60339ade3dc97e19e0f5b598d50b6e_thumb.jpg

Edited by Techno123

Week 2

Day 12 Mykonos

A very pretty almost disneyesque main town (Chora) of the island. Last time we visited, we did Delos, visited the quay and up a couple of streets but didn't really investigate too far. This time we docked in the new port and were bussed in to the town - well I was, you know who was off exploring a little further.

I visited the Panagia Paraportiani (Our Lady of the Side Gate) and the windmills but didn't see any Pelicans. Water bus back to the port to collect beloved then back to town to discover the back alleys - last day tomorrow - it's amazing how fast 2 weeks has gone.

de431bd31c9cb4d26996983c65db4c3d_thumb.jpgebd1eccc0c2f5914916f6951fdfb751b_thumb.jpg8ed46695d62e786b742d821e9f029755_thumb.jpg06f10782abb19803b16a5d1ef7e43b64_thumb.jpg52805e3571cdfadf89ed657cafcfc429_thumb.jpg6c6b1806e013e9663fefdfa4e323346c_thumb.jpg

Edited by Techno123

If you mentioned it I missed it -- did you find out why they skipped Patmos? And was the substitution Crete?

Too funny-- can't imagine why they would not close off a deck on the sea day so your DH could get in his daily ride. Maybe he managed by using the fixed bike in the gym?

And yes, you are allowed your whine about Cyprus (though you sea day "wining" seems like more fun.) It does seem shame to go all that way there for a short visit and then further have that cut into your Rhodes visit.

Missing Patmos was never mentioned at any point. Crete was always on the itinerary and Cyprus and Rhodes were the changes. The sea day was because of the distance I think and so there was no time to stop at Patmos.

Last couple of days posted tomorrow.

It certainly is but it looks like the ship has been drunk dry so they have moved onto a different brand for current Odyssey cruise - Rols didn't say what it was though.

Now the smoking policy has changed maybe we can have a 'change the champagne' thread next :D

Edited by Techno123

What does the NF in "NF champagne" stand for?

Is it that Nicky Fooey? If so, I was kinda hoping that Seabourn had moved on to a different choice.

Just sayin'

Happy and healthy sailing!

We did a taste test in the patio grill on our recent cruise (NF vs cava vs prosecco) and switched to prosecco for our sparkling choice as a result.

Week 2

Day 14 - Nafplion

So, last full day on board and needed to make the most of it so up early so Mr Techno could catch the tender - the distant mountains were making his mouth water (made my eyes water but hey ho each to his or her own). I was waiting for the local rep so I could decide what to do - the Venetian fort looked promising, only 999 steps to the top, there was also a slightly lower and older fortress next to it and she also recommended a nice 1km promenade walk to finish off the stroll.

Grabbed another coffee and returned to suite to wave Mr Techno off and proceeded to put last things in rucksack but couldn't find my suite key or ID. You've guessed, it was on its way up that mountain!!!

Fortunately, when he had tried to check out with my card they told him he was far less beautiful than the picture on screen, removed my card from him, rang me and sent him on his way.

The walk to the top of the hill to the Venetian fortress was bracing with cracking views and an €8 entrance fee. The hole where they threw the prisoners was certainly not as luxurious as our Seabourn suite. The town is very pretty and I finished off my morning by promenading around the hills, watching all the locals and holiday makers enjoying the beach.

eac7538d0fe0d0c56373bdb664f97ab4_thumb.jpgd848de94023e32f5d7306a0acf7e8134_thumb.jpga9eec9a1f587be9b9c967706d99f9720_thumb.jpg3e634bf40838c5bbd05b8337af4a89fd_thumb.jpg80cf86d57c532ca869aed330e886b1fb_thumb.jpg

Can't edit above post so will continue in this one! Back on board for last lunch in the colonnade, kayaking off the aft marina, last sun bathe and the packing - I so hate this bit as it means saying good bye for another year.

With the change from Istanbul to Athens we weren't able to get a flight on Saturday so a $40 Seabourn transfer to the airport for the 3 of us, overnight in the Sofitel and fly home on Sunday to clouds and most of this last week, rain and wind and blooming cold for August. However, I live in God's own country and whilst it's lovely to be away, nowhere compares to home (apart from the weather)!

f8828a5687fac17ff328f958d98ab036_thumb.jpg002486a4369d0aade6e973546b4ff2ea_thumb.jpgbaea5ab7019fc7435efbc341b829d81c_thumb.jpg98968bdaa493ead83c3360cf3fa1d3e2_thumb.jpg97ad5756c4156a426138a305cf74b730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Techno123

Final post on Punctured in Piraeus.

Welcomed home by our real life Scooby who seemed rather pleased to see us.

The 'third passenger' appears to have made it around Europe unscathed apart from a few punctures (well it is in the title [emoji16])

And Scooby Doo is already planning his next cruise so until next year, adieu to all our Seabourn friends.

9c05ecb6a1f12e32b4340c62d775c29e_thumb.jpgf9499f9cf47f5f27596c8e096ce786e5_thumb.jpgc3c2f0b8cfbf81c8e2e6d7b86179be7e_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you three made it home with all of your Seaborun memories. What a lovely travelogue. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us in pictures and prose. I hope your next Seabourn trip is as per schedule without all of the trauma and disappointment of so many port changes. Please tell Scooby Doo that much as you miss him when you are gone a little space is good for a relationship ( besides, having seen The Life of Pets do you really know what he was up to while you were away?) And I have always found the perfect antidote for getting over post Seabourn Blues is to do just what you are doing -- plan your next Seabourn trip.

Well I hope he has met her but that the reason we have not heard from him is because he is too busy enjoying himself on his cruse.

We are enjoying ourselves but regrettably have not met koalapanda. They may have figured out whom we are the first week and keep hiding behind pillars.

The cruise has been wonderful, we have 3 days to go and they will race by. The standards on Seabourn haven't slipped at all as far as I can see, the staff are amazing, the food has been wonderful and today we even had marina day, something I'd never experienced before. I'll find a couple of things to pick at in the post-cruise review but they are going to be very, very minor things and hopefully constructive, there's really nothing to complain about.

Last night was TK night with the Humbolt Fog, unfortunately they ran it against Chef's dinner which we missed the first week. The Chef's menu was so good we decided to go to the Restaurant and enjoy a 7 course tasting menu, I wanted to try the TK but we can have Waldorf salad and steak anytime. It was a great choice, the menu was really creative and we loved it, one of us had the normal and one the vegetarian menu so we got to try everything. It's actually a hard choice each day where to dine because every venue has been wonderful every time.

Shopping with the Chef tomorrow, hard to get on that list, one of my few niggles, then two days in lovely Croatia and we'll get up early for a sail into Venice.

Review next week sometime when I stop crying that it's over.

Hi rols. Good to hear you are having a great time - shame about the cheese but I agree the chef's tasting menu was worth missing a TK night for ;).

I bet you'll bump into koalapanda on your last day.

Have they loaded anymore of the Nicky Fooey (as markham calls it) or are you still on the alternative supply?

We got an email on our return with a link to an online survey rather than one you fill in onboard we mentioned Cyprus as a poor choice and suggested Kos as a possible replacement; I'm sure they didn't listen to me but guess what? Early November there is a very interesting cruise going from Monte Carlo to Athens during which they are sailing over to Rhodes and wait for it, Kos! At a very reasonable price but sadly, doesn't fit in with our teaching terms.

Talking of Cyprus, did you have a lovely birthday?

I will ask the time God to make the clocks run slowly so you can savour your last few days :D and actually, it has been great fun to relive our two weeks on board in this travelogue - not as good as being onboard but helps with the withdrawal symptoms. I shall look forward to reading your review.

Edited by Techno123