Seabourn Updates Smoking Policy, Bans Balcony Smoking

LauraS

We are on the Odyssey at present in the Greek Isles, there are three people smoking those vapour things around the pool, we had to move the smoke was blowing towards us, later they use them at the pool grill we moved again.

Not sure what the ruling is with them?

Surprised and disappointed to read this, fudge. I imagine they only emit vapour, not smoke, but still would hope they were restricted to the same areas as smokers outside, i.e. at the sky bar on the starboard side and back of the Square on the port side. Have you asked someone in charge, perhaps the Hotel Manager, about the rules?

We are on the Odyssey at present in the Greek Isles, there are three people smoking those vapour things around the pool, we had to move the smoke was blowing towards us, later they use them at the pool grill we moved again.

Not sure what the ruling is with them?

We were just on Sojourn this July for a B2B. At sailaway on the second segment we happened to sit with someone on the port side at skybar who was smoking a vapour pipe sometimes. A bar staff member came up to him and requested he move to the starboard side, as that is the only place that any "smoking" is allowed including e-cigarettes.

He wasn't very happy but the smoke vapour was very obvious. I am an ex-smoker (15 years) and am not totally anti smoking, as luckily I have no cravings .......I hope. I was quietly pleased the staff stepped in as I didn't wish to be confrontational and he and his fiancé were nice people.

Maybe talk to the staff or Hotel Director to clarify the problem?

Julie

Excited to hear about the new policy. On nine of our previous Seabourn cruises we were never bothered by smoke until our two weeks on the Sojourn last month. Each morning we had breakfast setup on our balcony, and each morning our neighbors on each side chose to come out of their suites and start smoking during our meal. Very annoying, so we are very glad to hear about the change to policy!

This is exactly why I didn't book the balcony and am so disappointed not to have a balcony. Never on any of my trips have I had anything less than a veranda so I have given up that just to keep this trip on Seabourn since I was assured that without a balcony smoking would not be an issue. Now I am hearing about vapor cigarettes and pipes and more and more places smoking is allowed. I do have it in writing from Emails the agent sent me. Wish they had changed it a month sooner.

I can only hope for the best.

I think perhaps you are confused as there are not " more and more " places smoking is allowed. Until December -- same as always -- balconies, outside SB Square and the Club and one side of the Sky Bar along with the Obs Bar where you can smoke on one side after 8PM. After that on the schedule SB posted no more smoking in the Obs Bar and balconies. If your cruise is after the switchover and you still want a balcony contact your TA and see if you can pay to switch to a different suite. Easy ! Don't let this ruin your anticipation of the cruise or the cruise itself.

Mine is before the changes. It is more and more because my travel agent assured me originally there was no indoor smoking allowed and then I find it was also allowed inside the observation bar after 8 p.m. We always dine late, so the observation bar would be the place to go after dinner and while sailing away. Even one person smoking inside is enough to turn the air for me. I hope the club bar is nice.

A major way that Seabourn is different from other luxury lines that have similarly strict no smoking policies is that it does not have a Smoking Room (usually called a Cigar Lounge or something like that). So there is no indoor place at all where one can smoke. That is the sole reason that my husband and I have not sailed on Seabourn and will not be doing so in the future. My husband enjoys relaxing with a pipe or a cigar. On Silversea, for example, he can go to the cigar lounge, relax, have a drink, and a smoke. While I do not smoke, I would not subject him to a trip during which he could not relax in this way. Particularly now that Seabourn had made its smoking policy more restrictive, I wonder if it would consider establishing a smoking room of some sort.

We always dine late, so the observation bar would be the place to go after dinner and while sailing away. Even one person smoking inside is enough to turn the air for me. I hope the club bar is nice.

There will not be smoking in the Observatuon Bar during sailaways. You'll also find it relatively uncrowded as its not really a hot spot during sailaways.

The Club or Grand Salon are generally more of "the place to be" after dinner. I personally prefer the quiet of the Observation Bar but have found that it can range from sleepy to calm on most evenings after dinner. (A notable exception was the transatlantic I was on this past spring but that was because the same group tended to take over the bar every night around 1:30-11 pm so it stayed quite lovely. Even then, at high peak there were maybe 20-25 of us in there.)

Issuer you that there will be plenty of places to enjoy on your cruise that are gloriously smoke-free. The complaining about smoking on this forum makes it sound like the Seabourn ships are clouded in thick smoke which is not the case. Rather, we are a vocal bunch who tend to scream when a single smoker dares to light up near our preferred bar perch. (Me included... I may have tried to down a smoker on my last cruise with my icy death stare.)