Review of SB Quest Copenhagen-Dover, 7/23/16-8/4/16

Catlover54

DH and I just returned from an enjoyable, though not perfect, Norway cruise on the Quest, 7/23/16 Copenhagen to 8/4/16 Dover (food was a little disappointing). Below are links to my official written CC review as well as DH's more extensive Norway photo bucket pictures from the cruise.

There is one typo I made which I cannot fix on the review: on the excursion reviews I listed Molde twice; the second time it is listed including the "Hike to Briksdal Glacier", which was actually out of Olden, not Molde.

A couple things I failed to mention in the review, as I wrote and submitted it on the last day before the last show 8/3, is that the last night the entertainment provided by the enthusiastic cruise director Handre Potgieter consisted of his own beautiful, mellow and dreamy piano compositions, which we greatly enjoyed. I think that music should be played for sail-away and in the ship restaurant and spa venues, instead of the music played currently.

Also, disembarkation in Dover was very smooth and easy and stress-free, just took a few minutes, no problem, and the car SB had reserved for us to go to LHR was there waiting as arranged.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=542115&et_cid=2745788&et_rid=17464385&et_referrer

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/randomguy60/library/Norway%202016?sort=9&page=1

catlover 54,

i read your review carefully - i agree that the captain ( met him in 1996 on ms Visatfjord ) and the cruise dir you did mention are very kind persons and they like passengers are happy

also i very much did like your comparisons with the MS Europa 2 esp the F and B operations - allow me to say you are very "mild" for SB especially concerning the quality on the breakfast buffet :D

with all the cutbacks on SB ( just mention the orange juice :mad:)+ its complete random of upgrades i did endure : SB is " a bridge too far" for me - my SB chapter is closed after level 16.

i do not have problems to admit i am very into F and B - one example i cannot stand some fizzy stuff like prosecco is presented to me as Champagne .

Agree.....well balanced review.

Another food related tragedy. My beloved chocolate pot de creme has been replaced by canned chocolate pudding. Of course, they have been slow to change wording on menu. Add it to the list of pathetic changes.

Back on Europa2 where passengers seem to hold the company accountable for quality control. One segment on SB this year versus four on H-L and four on Crystal. Total reverse from previous five years.

Another food related tragedy. My beloved chocolate pot de creme has been replaced by canned chocolate pudding. Of course, they have been slow to change wording on menu. Add it to the list of pathetic changes.

Back on Europa2 where passengers seem to hold the company accountable for quality control. One segment on SB this year versus four on H-L and four on Crystal. Total reverse from previous five years.

i was told on Hapag Lloyd the CEO wants to see all the complaints

i can understand the downfal on SB - carnival ...and saving $$$

but i find the changes on Crystal just terrible and i do blame the actual number 2 and his valet the vice president F and B in full for that :mad:

when is that president going to notice it and open her eyes ??? she once said she does like luxury ... i cannot describe frozen lobster tails as luxury

putting money in a hopeless case as "united states" ....had to be done 25 years ago

Just ask for the pot de creme as a special order. I ask for special desserts on SB all the time. I have never been turned down.

Edited by cruisr

DH and I just returned from an enjoyable, though not perfect, Norway cruise on the Quest, 7/23/16 Copenhagen to 8/4/16 Dover (food was a little disappointing). Below are links to my official written CC review as well as DH's more extensive Norway photo bucket pictures from the cruise.

There is one typo I made which I cannot fix on the review: on the excursion reviews I listed Molde twice; the second time it is listed including the "Hike to Briksdal Glacier", which was actually out of Olden, not Molde.

A couple things I failed to mention in the review, as I wrote and submitted it on the last day before the last show 8/3, is that the last night the entertainment provided by the enthusiastic cruise director Handre Potgieter consisted of his own beautiful, mellow and dreamy piano compositions, which we greatly enjoyed. I think that music should be played for sail-away and in the ship restaurant and spa venues, instead of the music played currently.

Also, disembarkation in Dover was very smooth and easy and stress-free, just took a few minutes, no problem, and the car SB had reserved for us to go to LHR was there waiting as arranged.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=542115&et_cid=2745788&et_rid=17464385&et_referrer

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/randomguy60/library/Norway%202016?sort=9&page=1

Did you see Nelson?:cool: Your Alaska Silver Shadow directory is empty. I wanted to compare it to mine.

Edited by Emperor Norton

I'm sure you have links to your reviews.

Did you see Nelson?:cool: Your Alaska Silver Shadow directory is empty. I wanted to compare it to mine.

I did see Nelson, several times. Unfortunately my experiences with him were consistently negative, he was in a big hurry, and got my/our drinks wrong or they were poorly prepared. But he frequently appeared to have time to chat with some pax he was apparently old friends with. I survived, not a huge deal.

I understand the reality that maybe if I would stick with one cruise line long enough instead of hopping around I could also become pals with key bartenders and other important staff on that line, though I would prefer to just have all bartenders/staff treat pax equally from the get-go without having to have a long record chumming.

My first experience with him was negative as he was saving a seat (for several hours EVERY DAY) for a "VIP" passenger. I got into a wee discussion with him over everyone supposedly being equal on Seabourn to which he disagreed. Things eventually somewhat smoothed over but I can definitely see how he can be off putting.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for another wonderful review. Very entertaining and thorough as always.

When comparing Crystal and Seabourn in the service and dining, which would you say excelled?

I preferred SB for both service and dining, but as I was only on Crystal 5 days, I am hesitant to generalize from such a limited exposure. The other variable is that I was solo on Crystal and not solo on my SB cruises ( the first two BTB were with a friend on the Odyssey September 2015).

I read your recent review comments and posts from Crystal and it sounds like you had a great time with good service and food, so that is encouraging about Crystal.

Very well balanced review and I really appreciate the port reviews. Totally agree with your comments about Nelson, who we have sailed with over 60 days. If he knows you he shares his friendly side and can be quite funny but you won't get that the first time you sail with him, and after 3 cruises with him I didn't think his drinks were anything special, give me George, Claudio, Eva, Juan Carlos, James, Tamara, Tomas or any of another 1/2 dozen SB bartenders who do know how to make a drink.

Thank you for another wonderful review. Very entertaining and thorough as always.

When comparing Crystal and Seabourn in the service and dining, which would you say excelled?

Seabourn excels in Dining and ties In service (most of the time) Crystal does better in lectures and entertainment. Seabourn is better in actual suites and much larger rooms then Crystal. Seabourn does a much better Trivia.